Purchase Oyster Card in Southampton?

From what I am reading, it sounds like we should be able able to purchase our Oyster Cards at the Southampton National Express bus station before boarding the bus for Victoria coach station(tickets already purchased). If that is not possible, do they sell Oyster cards at Victoria coach station?

• 3 years later...

The credit on a pre-pay (stored value) Oyster remains valid indefinitely. I have some Oysters which haven't been used for years, but which still keep their value.

However, if you buy a 7-day Travelcard (whether or not that's stored on an Oyster card), then it's valid for seven consecutive days.

You will want to check what sort of Oyster card you'd be getting if you buy a Tourist version (the argument for which has always seemed extremely thin to me).

The Tourist card looks to be a way to allow foreign visitors to buy a card in advance of their visit (with a 3 GBP charge for the privilege). Since it is so easy to buy regular one when you arrive, or if you have a card with ‘wave and pay’, you don't need one.

You should think of the Oyster as a prepaid debit card.

You normally buy Oystercards at London train stations and they can also be bought at Heathrow. I'd be very surprised if you could get them at Southampton bus station and they are only used in London anyway. As others have said, the general opinion is that it's better to wait till you get here and just get an ordinary Oystercard. If you go on Trip Advisor's London forum, you'll find there are questions on Oysters practically every day and some of the regular posters there are real experts in helping you make the best use of the card.

You normally buy Oystercards at London train stations and they can also be bought at Heathrow. I'd be very surprised if you could get them at Southampton bus station and they are only used in London anyway. As others have said, the general opinion is that it's better to wait till you get here and just get an ordinary Oystercard. If you go on Trip Advisor's London forum, you'll find there are questions on Oysters practically every day and some of the regular posters there are real experts in helping you make the best use of the card.

You are answering a question that was asked three years ago....

But, yes, National Express do sell Oyster Cards at their ticket offices, but I think they are Visitor ones.

Sent from my iPad using Forums