San Diego Zoo

Hi :)

Arrive in San Diego on 10/22/2014 port time 7am to 6pm, which means return to ship by 5pm;) better safe than sorry!!

Princess has Zoo tour from 8:30am to 3:30pm for $99 P/P

So I am debating on ship tour of the San Diego Zoo or doing this on our own.

Zoo charges $46p/p & cab fare at the top end would be $40 round trip.

Is this an easy thing to do? Has anyone else done this on their own?

Thank you so much!!

Agree, very easy to catch a cab and save some money. I don't recall seeing lines of cabs outside the zoo for your return to the ship (though maybe we just weren't looking for them), so make sure you have the phone number of a cab company and leave plenty of time to get back to the ship. Also, wear comfortable walking shoes - though there are shuttle buses and moving sidewalks in some areas, there's still lots of walking, lots of hills!

If you really want a treat, they have behind the scenes tours which last two hours. They're not cheap, but it's the tour of a lifetime. Here is a link:

http://sdzsafaripark.org/safaritickets/caravan_safari.html

We took my husband's Mom on this tour about four years ago. You get to feed the giraffes and rhinos. You stay safe in the back of the open truck.

If you really want a treat, they have behind the scenes tours which last two hours. They're not cheap, but it's the tour of a lifetime. Here is a link:

http://sdzsafaripark.org/safaritickets/caravan_safari.html

We took my husband's Mom on this tour about four years ago. You get to feed the giraffes and rhinos. You stay safe in the back of the open truck.

Agree, this is a great tour, but it's not at the zoo, it's at the Safari Park which is about 30 miles or more from the port - a cab would be quite expensive. I'd save the Safari Park for another visit when you have more time and flexibility.

Hi :)

Arrive in San Diego on 10/22/2014 port time 7am to 6pm, which means return to ship by 5pm;) better safe than sorry!!

Princess has Zoo tour from 8:30am to 3:30pm for $99 P/P

So I am debating on ship tour of the San Diego Zoo or doing this on our own.

Zoo charges $46p/p & cab fare at the top end would be $40 round trip.

Is this an easy thing to do? Has anyone else done this on their own?

Thank you so much!!

Living in San Diego, use the buss, they have good service and run on time. You will have a great time. :) This is one of my favorites.

• 2 weeks later...
Living in San Diego, use the buss, they have good service and run on time. You will have a great time. :) This is one of my favorites.

Could you explain more about the bus? Where would we pick it up? How much does it cost? Any link to a website for the bus company? Thanks!

Also, if anyone is renting a car… where do you rent it from? Any car rental places near where Princess docks? thanks.

• 1 month later...
I'm also checking out just paying a cab. Are there cabs at the zoo for when we are ready to go back to the ship?

Yes, there is a line of cabs waiting at the zoo exit pretty much all day long. They tend to be obscured by some trees and advertising as people are walking back to the parking lot, so they miss seeing them. As you exit the turnstiles, keep going straight ahead, don't follow the crowd going left toward the parking lot. Behind the trees/ads, there is a road where the taxis wait for passengers.

Anyone know if the san diego red trolley system goes near the zoo from the cruise terminal. Know the Santa Fe Amtrak train station is within walking distance of the cruise terminal, believe the trolley system has a major stopping point across the street from the train station but don't know if u can catch a trolley from there that goes close to the zoo. Thanks for any responses.

Anyone know if the san diego red trolley system goes near the zoo from the cruise terminal. Know the Santa Fe Amtrak train station is within walking distance of the cruise terminal, believe the trolley system has a major stopping point across the street from the train station but don't know if u can catch a trolley from there that goes close to the zoo. Thanks for any responses.

If you do an internet search for San Diego Public Transit you will see none of the light rail lines go near the zoo. Buses run near the zoo.

Yes, there is a line of cabs waiting at the zoo exit pretty much all day long. They tend to be obscured by some trees and advertising as people are walking back to the parking lot, so they miss seeing them. As you exit the turnstiles, keep going straight ahead, don't follow the crowd going left toward the parking lot. Behind the trees/ads, there is a road where the taxis wait for passengers.

AAA members can save on tickets for San Diego Zoo -

"Save over 15% when you purchase tickets at your local Auto Club branch. OR' date=' save 10% at the gate."

The San Diego Zoo is very hilly so be sure you are wearing comfortable shoes.[/quote']

Thanks for the info on where the taxis are. I had called the zoo and they said there were always taxis but didn't really tell me where.

We are AAA members so this will help! Thanks.

• 1 month later...

There is some construction in the area where the taxis have normally waited for fares. They are now to the left as you exit the zoo.

As you exit, walk out toward the parking lot. Before you come to the parking lot itself, turn left and follow the sidewalk along the outside of the zoo. You will see the line of taxis further down that direction during the construction.