SF Cruise ship terminal?

Hi,

I was wondering if the new San Francisco Cruise ship terminal is up and running yet. I saw that the new building was used for the America's cup but I'm curious about the rest of the complex.

Cheers,

Rob

Sorry to say the answer is negative grasshopper. I'd expound on the impotence of the current "leadership" of SF but eh, it won't change anything.

• 2 weeks later...
Is a much better location. Easy and short walk to Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, cable cars and city bus tours, etc. The new pier will quadruple the walk to any of these.

That is interesting math. Pier 35 to Pier 39 is 2-3 solid blocks, perhaps a little more. So getting a modern building designed to handle cruise ships is bad? And Pier 27 to Pier 39 isn't 8-10 blocks. Plus it is flat and easily walkable.

That is interesting math. Pier 35 to Pier 39 is 2-3 solid blocks, perhaps a little more. So getting a modern building designed to handle cruise ships is bad? And Pier 27 to Pier 39 isn't 8-10 blocks. Plus it is flat and easily walkable.

Getting the city to do anything in an intelligent well thought out manner is nigh impossible.

Easily walkable depends on your physical condition and how many children/how much luggage you're dragging around.

While it isn't 10 blocks from 27 to 39, it is about 3x as far from 27 to 39 as it is from 25 to 39 (.6 miles for 27 and .2 for 35).

I hope you'll hear on this site before your cruise. Those of us who like to cruise from SF are REALLY looking forward to the new pier.:D

I'm curious as to why. Ultimately it's going to be run by the same group that runs the current venue. From when I've cruised from the terminal the issues had always been man made (e.g.: sending all the cabs away during disembarkation, not letting passengers in with proper credentials and other hilarious hijinks) rather than anything to do with the structure

I'm curious as to why. Ultimately it's going to be run by the same group that runs the current venue. From when I've cruised from the terminal the issues had always been man made (e.g.: sending all the cabs away during disembarkation, not letting passengers in with proper credentials and other hilarious hijinks) rather than anything to do with the structure

Speaking only for myself, anything would be an improvement. Unloading or loading up in front of the pier is a logistical problem (I was going to say nightmare, but it isn't quite that bad).

Handicapped passengers are put in an unheated area where the winds can blow through the room. When there is any delay in boarding, such as for a Coast Guard inspection (happened to us twice - don't take the next cruise after the ship has been away from the states for a while), we are kept in this cold place for several hours. Any place less uncomfortable would be appreciated. :) And old-fashioned street cars run up and down the Embarcadero to Fisherman's Wharf for transportation.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...