Cabo Questions

jwalk03

This is not exactly cruise related (though we are stopping in Cabo on a cruise next year as well, October on the Disney Wonder.) We are planning to honeymoon in Cabo last week of Apr/ first week of May next year. We are going to stay at the Secrets Los Cabos (in the corridor) and I have read that you can take the bus into Cabo very easily from the resort instead of paying the ~$50 one way taxi fare. Can anyone offer insight on this? We would only take it during the day and would like take a cab back late at night, so I feel pretty confident in the safety of this. Any thought?

I am thinking we just want to go into actual Cabo one day and maybe one night of our trip. A day trip to El Archo, Lovers Beach, etc. Maybe a scuba dive. And then an evening trip to experience the nightlife of bars, visit to the Hard Rock Cafe, those types of shinaniggans.

Any insight or thoughts that anyone has that might be helpful would be much appreciated! Even if not related to the questions above. I have only been to the Yucatan not the Pacific coast so looking for lots of info.

THANKS!

Edited by jwalk03

Wouldn't hesitate for a minute to take the bus. Remember tourism is the bread and butter in Cabo, there is nothing else. They don't want any "bad marks". Can you be taken advantage of? Sure, so party responsibly when out on the town.

You can easily see the town in one day, adding several excursions might take another day. Lots of great places to eat so don't rule out more than one bus ride.

Wouldn't hesitate for a minute to take the bus. Remember tourism is the bread and butter in Cabo, there is nothing else. They don't want any "bad marks". Can you be taken advantage of? Sure, so party responsibly when out on the town.

You can easily see the town in one day, adding several excursions might take another day. Lots of great places to eat so don't rule out more than one bus ride.

I'm not certain that you can see the town "in one day", but your idea of taking a bus into town and a cab back is not a bad plan, at all.

We love Cabo, and have vacationed there 12 times in the past 5 years, bringing our kids and our grandkids. We're completely comfortable there and have never felt any concerns for our safety. In fact we are more comfortable there than we are in Salem Oregon!

The fact that you are on the corridor, if you have the time, you should also consider exploring San Jose. Although we have only been there twice, and most certainly enjoy Cabo more, it is a great place to wander about, and visit.

Enjoy Cabo, we love it there!

You'll have no problem with the bus.

You need to understand that the hotels on the corridor with rare exception do not have swimmable beaches so Lover's Beach, Medano Beach and Chilleno Bay are your best access to swimmable beaches.

I am 99% sure Hard Rock Café is closed down. I can not remember what opened there. You'll want to stop by Cabo Wabo and Squid Roe for sure. There is an outstanding Italian restaurant in town called Salvatore's. You'll need a reservation so make sure the hotel concierge makes one for you. There is an excellent Brazilian steakhouse called La Pampa also in town. Once again you'll need a reservation.

If you're looking for local fare Los Deseos on the marina is great. Plus their margaritas are excellent. Guacamaya's in town has outstanding guacamole. Baja Brewery, the one on top of Cabo Villas, offers outstanding views and has several different specialty brews. The food is also very good.

Also on the marina is Senor Sweets which is an outstanding place for desserts.

You'll have no problem with the bus.

You need to understand that the hotels on the corridor with rare exception do not have swimmable beaches so Lover's Beach, Medano Beach and Chilleno Bay are your best access to swimmable beaches.

I am 99% sure Hard Rock Café is closed down. I can not remember what opened there. You'll want to stop by Cabo Wabo and Squid Roe for sure. There is an outstanding Italian restaurant in town called Salvatore's. You'll need a reservation so make sure the hotel concierge makes one for you. There is an excellent Brazilian steakhouse called La Pampa also in town. Once again you'll need a reservation.

If you're looking for local fare Los Deseos on the marina is great. Plus their margaritas are excellent. Guacamaya's in town has outstanding guacamole. Baja Brewery, the one on top of Cabo Villas, offers outstanding views and has several different specialty brews. The food is also very good.

Also on the marina is Senor Sweets which is an outstanding place for desserts.

I would have to comment that Hard Rock (and I too believe that it is closed) would be a place to visit briefly, as well as Cabo Wabo, (in my opinion, both exist entirely as tourist traps)....but I would go there, if only to say that I had been there. As far as the Marina is concerned, Soloman's Landing is a favorite of many....great location, and more than decent food, but the prices are high (unless you sit at the bar)....Our choices on the Marina? Captain Tony's and Tiki Bar.

If you visit Cabo Wabo, I would have a drink, and then wander down the back stairs to find Rips for better (and much cheaper) drinks. Right next to Rips is Taco Loco...not much to look at, but great service, cheap prices, and our favorite place for a meal. Just down the street (south) from Taco Loco is Cabo Cantina. Lobster dinners for $25.00pp. We eat there several times per week while we are there.

Has anyone been to Cabo recently and actually seen that the Hard Rock Cafe is closed? I know its no longer appearing as a location on hardrock's website becuase the Mexico franchise holder lost his license, but many of them have continued to operate (illegally) since then. I know Cancun is still operating illegally for sure, just not positive on Cabo.

Thank you for all the input and suggestions so far! I def think we have decided to spend our honeymoon in Cabo, so the info is great!!

Edited by jwalk03

Has anyone been to Cabo recently and actually seen that the Hard Rock Cafe is closed? I know its no longer appearing as a location on hardrock's website becuase the Mexico franchise holder lost his license, but many of them have continued to operate (illegally) since then. I know Cancun is still operating illegally for sure, just not positive on Cabo.

Thank you for all the input and suggestions so far! I def think we have decided to spend our honeymoon in Cabo, so the info is great!!

That's a good question! I queried those that I know in Cabo, and as of February it was still "open", but it's been reported that they lost their franchise, and several folks have stated that they no longer accept $US.

Honestly, most of those that I know in Cabo do not go there, so, even though I tried, I don't think that I helped much. Go to Rips, Cabo Cantina, or Hooliganz, instead (just my opinion.)

I know it is gone. I just can't remember the name of the new place that is there. I was just there two weeks ago. Living down for half the year there I don't pay as much attention. There was a large advertisement in the Gringo Gazette for the new place.

I never set foot in squid roe or Cabo Wabo. But as downsized says you want to stop in for a drink.

Edited by Laminator

I live part time in Cabo in the plaza where the Hard Rock Cafe is. I just left there one week ago and I know for sure, it is still open. Maybe you're thinking of La Ricazon, a restaurant next door to Hard Rock. La Ricazon is also know as Frank's Place.

The large ad in the Gringo Gazette is for the Canibal Bar.

http://canibalcabo.com/

It is behind Cabo Wabo. It was formerly the No Worries Bar which used to be on the marina. The Canibal Bar was undergoing remodeling while I was there and was not open.

Edited by CWcruisers

I live part time in Cabo in the plaza where the Hard Rock Cafe is. I just left there one week ago and I know for sure, it is still open. Maybe you're thinking of La Ricazon, a restaurant next door to Hard Rock. La Ricazon is also know as Frank's Place.

The large ad in the Gringo Gazette is for the Canibal Bar.

http://canibalcabo.com/

It is behind Cabo Wabo. It was formerly the No Worries Bar which used to be on the marina. The Canibal Bar was undergoing remodeling while I was there and was not open.

Thank you very much! Glad to hear this!