Ensenada Pharmacies

habita

I want to check out the prices for some of my meds. Has anyone gone to a pharmacy in Ensenada. If so, how do I get there from the pier?

Pharmacys are everywhere... even in the port building. There are many on the main shopping street too.

You don't say what kind of prescription meds you're talking about, but if they are controlled substances (pain killers, Ambien, etc.), there are some restrictions. Check the US Customs & Border Protection website if you have questions.

I found a similar question on TripAdvisor and one person advised that they found their prescription was cheaper at home at the Walmart pharmacy than it was in Ensenada, so know your prices before you go. There has also been advice to make sure you know exactly what your meds look like and check the Mexico version to make sure it looks the same. If it's different, Google your drug, for example "What does Lovastatin look like?" - if your new meds don't look like what you see, I'd not want to risk taking what may not be what you think it is.

Better be careful what you buy. Medications from Mexico have been evaluted in the US and have been found to contain no active ingredient of the drug that they were supposed to be. Not worth the risk to your health for any amount of savings IMHO

Correct, not regulated.

My husband is a pharmacist. He says no way, don't buy the drugs in Mexico.

We have seen drugs improperly stored in hot storage bins behind the pharmacies. And they may be counterfit.

If you have insurance, have your Doctor write for it, with your co pay has to be cheaper at home.

If you are on a sensitive drug (cumadin), you will be killing yourself, if dosage is wrong or nothing in the pills.

Not to be a downer here, but my ex-boyfriends father passed away from a masive heart attack using heart meds from Mexico. He was only 52. While they could never prove anything, my thoughts are it is not worth the chance. He was Living in San Diego at the time, it was easy to get whatever you wanted in Tijuana....Just saying

Just mail order from a reputable Canadian pharmacy. I just received my Synthroid today and it cost 1/3 of the US price. CC rules prohibit "advertising", but you can Google the Canadian equivalent of our FDA and they will list reputable pharmacies. I'm so happy to beat the system with our out of control med prices (another topic for another forum). Follow up blood tests prove I'm doing ok.

My husband is a pharmacist. He says no way, don't buy the drugs in Mexico.

We have seen drugs improperly stored in hot storage bins behind the pharmacies. And they may be counterfit.

If you have insurance, have your Doctor write for it, with your co pay has to be cheaper at home.

If you are on a sensitive drug (cumadin), you will be killing yourself, if dosage is wrong or nothing in the pills.

Hi Sue. My husband is also a pharmacist and agrees. Some meds require a controlled climate and there's no guarantee this requirement has been met. The meds could also be outdated/expired as well. As another CC'er eloquently said.. "Buyer beware...."

Just mail order from a reputable Canadian pharmacy. I just received my Synthroid today and it cost 1/3 of the US price. CC rules prohibit "advertising", but you can Google the Canadian equivalent of our FDA and they will list reputable pharmacies. I'm so happy to beat the system with our out of control med prices (another topic for another forum). Follow up blood tests prove I'm doing ok.

You can't compare Canadian medications to medications from Mexico. It's perfectly safe to get them from Canada but you are taking your life in your hands and playing Russian Roulette if you buy them from Mexico.

Here is an article about buying prescription meds legally in Mexico:

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/buying_prescription_medications_in_mexico.html

It is not as easy as it used to be to just cross the border and buy things without prescriptions!

I am not saying that people don't do it but you would be breaking the laws of both Mexico and the USA to bring them back without proper documentation(scrips)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

With my insurance through work I normally pay $5 per prescription. I doubt very much I would save any money buying in Mexico. I do have some that I pay $10 for but those are in a 90 day supply.

In the far past I have heard of people walking into Mexican pharmacies and getting drugs such as diazepam (Valium) without a prescription but that is a thing of the past and hasn't been possible for many years. (Good thing, too...)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have also purchased tubes of Retin-A (for wrinkle repair) ;) It is cheaper there than in the US, because insurance doesn't cover it. I have not noticed it not being the same as the stuff I got in the US. But, it also isn't a drug that would affect my health in any way.