Regent and Park West: Finito?

Could it be, could it really be that the Regent-Park West association is no more?

Here are the facts, so far: No Park West presence on either the May 21 and May 28 Navigator cruises, according to eyewitnesses (K-MARK and yours truly). And now it has been confirmed (thanks, rarin2go!) that there is no sign of Park West on the Mariner.

Anybody currently cruising on board the Voyager? If so, would love to know how your day in Riga went AND whether or not Park West is still pitching art there. I'm looking to confirm the report I heard privately after posting about Park West's locked door on my Navigator Vancouver-Vancouver blog that PW has recently lost its Regent contract.

Thanks, and all new info welcome!

Rich

Keeping my fingers crossed that this means the demise of Park West on Regent. We were quick shocked when we saw that Park West took over half of the computer room on the Voyager after the last refurbishment. If no one reports from the Voyager before we leave, I'll report when we board 2 weeks from Thursday.

I know that this is a money-maker for Regent and I have no problem with them making money. It is the reputation and "practices" of Park West that is disturbing!

Sitting in coffee connection on the Mariner surveying yards of empty wall where once stood PW's offerings....... Does look awfully bare and slightly worrying that nothing has taken their place.....Perhaps they'll be back? !!!!!!

We were told that they would be leaving the Mariner for good in Barcelona.

Their last trip was Athens to Barcelona, which we were on, and there was a "special" auction on this cruise with the remaining paintings being shipped back to the States.

Wow - wonderful news! Although I am happy to see PW go, I wouldn't be surprised to see another company take its place. I know that auctions are a money maker ...... just don't like to see them on luxury lines.

Our relationship with PW has ended very amicably.

Perhaps in the future, we'll host 2 to 3 VIP art sailings each year alongside PW.

As to the spaces once occupied by the art auctions, here's what we're planning:

VOYAGER- will become a high end boutique, jewelry, watches, leather goods

NAVIGATOR- will become jewelry boutique

MARINER- 4 game tables (chess/backgammon etc) and an additional seating ensemble will be installed along with new art along the long wall.

FDR

Our relationship with PW has ended very amicably.

Perhaps in the future, we'll host 2 to 3 VIP art sailings each year alongside PW.

As to the spaces once occupied by the art auctions, here's what we're planning:

VOYAGER- will become a high end boutique, jewelry, watches, leather goods

NAVIGATOR- will become jewelry boutique

MARINER- 4 game tables (chess/backgammon etc) and an additional seating ensemble will be installed along with new art along the long wall.

FDR

Thank you...

Best news yet

Well, I couldn't have asked for a more authoritative confirmation of the Park West report! Don't think we need that live report from the Voyager now.

Thanks, fjdelrio, for anticipating the logical follow-up question by relaying the news of how Regent plans to use the newly opened space on each ship. All sounds good!

Rich

FDR,

Thanks for the update on Park West.

We are on Mariner at present and were very pleased to see no artwork on sale. It will be good when you have filled the empty area with something useful.

Great voyage on Mariner - officers and crew doing a really good job.

Regards

Now only if the "chicken wire man" in the elevator shaft of the Mariner could go away......

Maybe he could join the Scarecrow, Tin Man, etc in Oz.......I bet he'd he happy there. He could even, maybe, get a head!!!

Flossie009- many thanks. New pieces, art and game tables etc, will be installed in approximately 8 weeks.

Mudhen- Should have torn them down during the Drydock! We have selected new pieces to replace the existing but are trying to figure out how best to install during service.

FDR

Now only if the "chicken wire man" in the elevator shaft of the Mariner could go away......

Maybe he could join the Scarecrow, Tin Man, etc in Oz.......I bet he'd he happy there. He could even, maybe, get a head!!!

Mudhen, hahaha, now that's a thought!

FDR, excellent decision regarding PW. While I've gotten pretty good about ignoring the whole art auction "thing", not for me to tell a cruise line how to run a biz. But good riddance, and I look forward to seeing the new spaces on both the Voyager and the Mariner this winter!

PW has not been onboard Oceania for some time. In the past year or so, Oceania did have another art auction company but they are no longer onboard.

However, on Marina and Riviera we do have the Artist Loft and do allow the resident artist to sell his or her art to our guests including special commissions.

On occassion (maybe 2 or 3 times per year), like we just had onboard Marina from NYC to Southampton, we may have a VIP Art Auction cruise, whereby the Art Company brings onboard 20-30 of their known art collector clients along with a substantial art collection which they auction off. All ship guests are allowed to participate if they wish.

FDR

Peggy, we will be onboard the Mariner in October and will email pictures of the new space. If I can, I'll also post it on Cruise Critic but it may be after the cruise. Not sure if you have been on the Voyager since the computer space was cut in half (it still works fine as a computer room). The space next to it (where Park West was) is quite large and will make a lovely high end boutique. Apparently we can see the space when we are both onboard next month but it will still be empty.

It is so good to see FDR back on the Regent board:)

Edited by Travelcat2

Flossie009- many thanks. New pieces, art and game tables etc, will be installed in approximately 8 weeks.

Mudhen- Should have torn them down during the Drydock! We have selected new pieces to replace the existing but are trying to figure out how best to install during service.

FDR

Thank you so much for answering! We'll be on the Mariner next April. We'll look forward to chicken wire man's replacement! Please no barbed wire ladies! (haha!)

Kudos to FDR for the future plan info on Regent. We will be on the Voyage for the Cape Town to Singapore segment, so we will love having the boutique there.

We have been Oceania passengers since their beginning until this trip, and it was wonderful when they were not onboard. The beautiful lobby was covered with these "prints," and ruined the area. Obviously, not one of our favorites, and no further comments.