Breakfast on the ship-different than home?

lizjoemom

Just for fun-I was wondering what most folks do on the ship for breakfast as opposed to what they normally eat at home. Personally, at home I usually eat either cereal or oatmeal and then a yogurt or piece of cheese later, however, on a cruise all bets are off! I love to get the full Magilla, omelet, pastry or croissant sausage or sometimes egg benedict. Screws up my diet, but hey, it's only for a week!

What say you all?:)

My family is so bad when it comes to eating on vacation ( land vacations as well as cruise vacations) . In the beginning everyone is excited to eat and looking forward to trying new things by day 3 none of us wants to even eat. Not even dinners. My kids can't wait to get home and eat "regular food" again. I do make breakfast in the morning for my kids -pancakes, waffles, egg sandwiches, french toast, or just an english muffin with PB and Nutella or honey. Usually I grab a pancake or two, or make a scrambled egg for my self. Sometimes its a bowl of oatmeal or a yogurt with fresh fruit. On vacation-I like to try what I don't make-such as eggs benedict. But again, by day 3 or so I am looking for some fresh fruit and maybe a cheese stick. by the last day I don't want to see food at all! On the first few days we eat or 3 meals, but slowly we just end up with breakfast maybe a small snack and a light dinner. And I have 2 teenage boys and a teenage girl! My oldest is the most likely to pig out and not be as sick of it as the rest of us, but his version of pigging out is far tamer than most teenage boys!

Lisa

We eat well at home and usually have yogurt and fruit or something and then a little bacon and egg breakfast on weekends only. Yeah, all bets are off on a cruise. :) Well....they've made all that food! It would be churlish to refuse. :D

We do tend to eat a bigger breakfast because we know we'll be roaming all over the place and don't want to interrupt our sightseeing for food breaks. Then we often have a salad or something from the buffet as a late lunch/pre-dinner snack. Dinner we just stick to one serving of each course in the MDR. Overall there is more liquor-drinking and dessert-eating than at home. Yay cruising!

I usually have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, and maybe a bit of yogurt. On cruises I always order 2 soft boiled eggs, dry toast (for dipping of course!), coffee, and fresh squeezed orange juice. DH usually skips breakfast at home, but will load up his plate with unhealthy goodies while on vacation.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Bacon! That's all I have to say, Bacon! I rarely if ever eat it at home but on a cruise I eat as much as I want.

Also much more and more variety than at home. At home, usually a scrambled egg, or cottage cheese or cereal or yogurt plus a piece of fruit. One of the above, not all, of course. Plus coffee with skim milk.

On a cruise, I add waffles or french toast, more fruit, sweet rolls and, of course, bacon. I don't think I've ever had cereal or oatmeal on a cruise, sometimes yogurt though. I don't like the way eggs are prepared (like mine very well done), so I don't eat eggs on the ship either.

Just for fun-I was wondering what most folks do on the ship for breakfast as opposed to what they normally eat at home. Personally, at home I usually eat either cereal or oatmeal and then a yogurt or piece of cheese later, however, on a cruise all bets are off! I love to get the full Magilla, omelet, pastry or croissant sausage or sometimes egg benedict. Screws up my diet, but hey, it's only for a week!

What say you all?:)

At home we never have an omelet and rarely have fruit. On the ship if eating in the buffet I have a made to order omelet, a pastry or croissant, and a plate of various sliced fruit as well as a couple slices or cubes of cheese.

If I breakfast in a MDR I have Eggs Benedict and a plate of fruit.

Edited by NMLady

I generally don't eat breakfast but I do when I'm onboard. Love the made to order omelets but last cruise DW and I ate in the MDR for breakfast one morning and I tried Eggs Benedict for the first time. I know that CCL's Eggs Benedict have been criticized but I found it to be acceptable.

I generally have the same sort of breakfast aboard ship as at home - alternating between bacon and eggs and fruit and cereal. I never was big on kippers or salami or some of the other local specialties found at the Lido. On HAL, of course, I always have fresh OJ rather than the half grapefruit I have at home.

Home: usually one egg, 2 slices of bacon or one sausage patty and maybe a piece of toast or some hash browns

Cruise: getting woken up with a plate of pastries and a cup of coffee from my husband who stopped by the buffet on his way back form the gym. after getting dressed, it's eggs Benedict in the MDR with a glass of OJ and whatever fruit laden breakfast bread they have( or a croissant)

DH usually trades in his cup of yoghurt and and orange for an omelet.

At home I have oatmeal with fruit and protein powder; an omelette with egg whites, one whole egg, and some combo of cheese and veggies; and tea with fat free milk.

Same thing on the cruise, and I brought long my protein powder as well.

Once or twice on the cruise I added a croissant, because hey, it was vacation. :)

I’ve been on about 13 cruises and the one thing that always bothers me is watching people eat at breakfast time.

I marvel at the amount of food some of these people eat. It really does get over the top sometimes.

If it bothers you, then don't watch. Does it really matter how much or how little someone else eats?

I enjoy omelets for breakfast on vacation. Though I do make them fairly regularly at home, I like it much more when someone makes it for me. :) I usually have a muffin or croissant as that is a treat I don't allow myself at home.

My late husband loved a big breakfast on vacation. He could take his time, eat slowly and enjoy. At home, though he usually ate a healthy breakfast, it was fast and in a hurry to get to his office.

Edited by sail7seas

This is a fun thread to read.

At home, during the week I have cereal and skim milk. Weekends, we often go out for eggs and homefries and toast.

On a cruise, I look forward to a bagel and cream cheese and smoked salmon. Yum!!

For me it's not that different as I usually eat breakfast at work and we have a full service cafeteria, which is pretty similar (although smaller scale) to what they offer on cruise ships. I tend to change it up and don't really have a set breakfast.

I’ve been on about 13 cruises and the one thing that always bothers me is watching people eat at breakfast time.

I marvel at the amount of food some of these people eat. It really does get over the top sometimes.

Many of us get up and blow through 1000 calories working out before breakfast, and what we eat for breakfast leaves us with a calorie deficit before the day even really begins--which is why you'll also see many of us snacking on fruit, power bars, or even PB&J an hour after breakfast. Now what were you saying?

Many of us get up and blow through 1000 calories working out before breakfast, and what we eat for breakfast leaves us with a calorie deficit before the day even really begins--which is why you'll also see many of us snacking on fruit, power bars, or even PB&J an hour after breakfast. Now what were you saying?

The people I'm talking about couldn't find the ships gym with a road map. ;)

And for those of you who burn a 1,000 calories before breakfast:rolleyes:....my guess is you're not banging back eggs, bacon, grits and French toast with a donut chaser.

It's no big deal. I was just commenting on how some people eat on these cruises. I hope to god it's different to how they eat at home. :eek: