Live from Crown: Carolyn’s Crown Princess Blog

Hi. Just wanted to say thanks so much to all of you who posted from the inaugural of Crown Princess (I learned so much) and wanted to contribute back!

I haven't met my fellow Cruise Critic members yet (I think the party is on Monday -- Phyllis, if you're reading this will you let me know? I don't want to miss it).

I've already been to Sabatinis, the spa, the Sanctuary, Crown Grill, the International Cafe, my cabin (bedding is fabulous), had a Brooklyn balcony nosh. Now we've just pulled into Bermuda, gosh it's gorgeous from my perch by the window in the International Cafe) so I'm going to hop off and get going. My first report is on the home page -- here's the link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1698. All additional reports will be made HERE, so check back and feel free to lob some questions my way.

I'm planning, on a daily basis, to offer comments and insights.

I'll start off, beyond the news analysis report, to answer one question I had that didn't get answered last week, LOL. I'm in a minisuite and, no, there's no DVD. Who has time anyway:p

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

If you go to the spa, can you ask them which of the treatments listed online are available to be given in the tents in the sanctuary?

also, I'm interested to find out if the Port Canaveral Kennedy Space Center shore excursion is worth it. Seems like a short time to see a lot of stuff!

Enjoy your trip! I was there for the luncheon on Friday and I can't wait to come back in august!

Thanks!

Thanks for the Live review. From pictures I have seen, the new Sabatini's has an outside deck with table/chairs and some fountains. It appears to overlook the Terrace Pool on the aft of the deck. Is this area open during the day or only for Sabatini dinners? Is Sabatini open for lunch?

thanks carolyn!

hope you're having a wonderful time in bermuda today! Looks like a beauty day from the webcam...been raining in NY for the past 2 days!

i'm interested in whatever info you are kind enough to post about really...but just curious about the internet service...are you using the internet center on the ship? i understand that it is one of the full suite perks; can you tell me the hours there? also, is the ship wi-fi ready? only certain areas? if so, do you recall the cost of any packages that might be available?

thanks in advance...looking forward to your posts!

jane

Love Boat Dream...I don't believe Carolyn will be stopping at Port Canaveral. ;)

... I'm interested to find out if the Port Canaveral Kennedy Space Center shore excursion is worth it. Seems like a short time to see a lot of stuff! Enjoy your trip! I was there for the luncheon on Friday and I can't wait to come back in august! Thanks!

Wow, that was quick! Thank you. ;)

Just read your caption...funny, I've always felt the same. Two tvs in such a small space....you'd think they'd have one larger one, mounted on the wall where it could be viewed from the sofa or the bed. But, hey, I don't design cruiseships, so.....

Wow, that was quick! Thank you. ;)

Just read your caption...funny, I've always felt the same. Two tvs in such a small space....you'd think they'd have one larger one, mounted on the wall where it could be viewed from the sofa or the bed. But, hey, I don't design cruiseships, so.....

Those aren't actually my pictures (I agree with the caption too!). I just have every webpage with crown pictures bookmarked.... I can't get enough of them (LOL!).

Question for Carolyn - I can't remember from our CB cruise..... can you order full bottles of wine for your cabin from room service?

We are in Brooklyn the day before our cruise but it is a Sunday and it seems it is hard to find a liqour store open on Sunday in NY! Debating about stopping on the way the next morning or just ordering on the ship.

We must be on the same wavelength. I asked the same about alcohol. ;)

Those aren't actually my pictures (I agree with the caption too!). I just have every webpage with crown pictures bookmarked.... I can't get enough of them (LOL!).

Question for Carolyn - I can't remember from our CB cruise..... can you order full bottles of wine for your cabin from room service?

We are in Brooklyn the day before our cruise but it is a Sunday and it seems it is hard to find a liqour store open on Sunday in NY! Debating about stopping on the way the next morning or just ordering on the ship.

Thanks Carolyn for all the details about the Crown.

Is it worth going to the Speicality Rest. on board?

Fill us in on the Casual dining areas - Vines, Cafe Caribe, International Cafe, Horizon Court.

With the $15 per half day per person charge to lounge at the Sanctuary do you make reservations in advance?

Carolyn,

If you are in traditional dining, are there many open seats at 2nd seating?

If anyone else on this sailing is on traditional dining 2nd seating, same question?

Is it true if you want to do another alternate dining option one night, do you automatically lose your traditional dining assignment for the rest of the cruise?

How easy is it to change from 1st to 2nd seating? How soon is the Maitre'd available after boarding to do so?

Anything esle worth passing along.....?

Thanks for taking the time to post while on your vacation.

MARAPRINCE

The ports that will be visited are Bermuda's West End, San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turk.

I appreciate any and all information provided Carolyn since we are on the same itinerary on July 20th.

If you can post pictures of Sabatini's menu that would be terrific

Carolyn........Thank you so much for the information you provided and looking forward to more since we will also be sailing on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary and will also be in a mini suite. Any and all information is appreciated.

Have a great cruise!!!!!

Helane

Hi, Jane, thought I'd tackle this question straightaway as I'm on wi-fi now. It works okay -- the system is fine but the process is a little bit ridiculous. You have to buy tickets at the desk -- they're good for 30 minutes -- and then create an account and .....

But it ultimately works. The price for everyone is 35 cents a minute and that's completely fair.

Wi-Fi only works in atrium area, not in staterooms. The Internet cafe is lovely -- there are two of 'em. I'm sitting here in Vines, typing away, sipping a lovely Chateau Montelena chardonnay! Life is good and Bermuda, by the way, was just fabulous (we had lunch at the Frog and Onion, bought a beautiful watercolor at the Dockyards Art Centre, and took a short boat excursion around the island -- one of those wicked fast boats where they make you wear seatbelts! It was fun.

Thanks for the question (I'm not in a full suite so don't know about free access)....

Best,

Carolyn

thanks carolyn!

hope you're having a wonderful time in bermuda today! Looks like a beauty day from the webcam...been raining in NY for the past 2 days!

i'm interested in whatever info you are kind enough to post about really...but just curious about the internet service...are you using the internet center on the ship? i understand that it is one of the full suite perks; can you tell me the hours there? also, is the ship wi-fi ready? only certain areas? if so, do you recall the cost of any packages that might be available?

thanks in advance...looking forward to your posts!

jane

Hi, Love Boat Dream. The spa is pretty much the usual Lotus Spa (not that it's not nice) -- a few quirks, like the steam room in ladies isn't working and either the swim against the current machinery is broken or just not turned on yet (in the spa pool). And there was the funkiest smell in the locker room yesterday :D .

The treatments in the Sanctuary are just the usual Swedish or other kind of typical massage. Same price though as downstairs and you get a free hour in the Sanctuary afterward. They prefer to book couples' massages (each cabana has two beds) but I asked for a single and after a bit of hemming and hawing they booked me (tomorrow, I think, I'll report back).

Yesterday I had the Asian ritual and it was just the basic massage and facial -- nothing particularly Asian about it. A couple of tips: I've heard that the Steiner folks are doing the hard sell about products -- my advice is to say at the beginning "don't even bother" (unless of course you need them, LOL). In my case, I sternly told the therapist that "I'm here to relax, don't need to be lectured about the state of my skin :) (wouldn't you know I'd laid in the in the morning). And she backed way off. I tipped her well (don't be insulted if they instruct to tip, they're told to, but they're pretty about just telling you where gratuities go, no pressure on amount). Apparently a lot of folks don't know that you're supposed to (tip).

More later,

Carolyn

PS We're on eastern Caribbean but let me see if I can found out about Port Canaveral. Have you checked online?

If you go to the spa, can you ask them which of the treatments listed online are available to be given in the tents in the sanctuary?

also, I'm interested to find out if the Port Canaveral Kennedy Space Center shore excursion is worth it. Seems like a short time to see a lot of stuff!

Enjoy your trip! I was there for the luncheon on Friday and I can't wait to come back in august!

Thanks!

Archived