Maracas Beach on your own

vickie_bernie

• 3 months later...

It is quite expensive because it is far. We haven't done it in about 6 yrs, but we would book something ahead of time and share the taxi. They use big vans. The driver would typically just hang out and wait for us. If you do get there, make sure you have some shark and bake. It is the best!

• 1 month later...
We have been to Trinidad Twice now and for our next visit we just want to go to the beach. Can anyone inform me of how much to expect for a taxi to take us there and back.

Vickie

Hey Vickie... don't I know you from somewhere... ;-)

I'm guessing you probably did a lot of research on this since you posted it in June, but have you found out anymore? Or is this the port you wound up booking the segway?

Edited by luv2cruisin

• 4 weeks later...

you are too funny

We would like to go to the beach but we don't want anything planned until the day of.

Since we will be doing the beach thing in St. Thomas, Barbados and even Antigua after the segway. So we may be beach out for Trinidad, or maybe not.

Guess we will just wing it and if necessary jump in a van with others if we do decide to go.

Cheers.

Yeah, that was an older post on my part. As you've seen elsewhere now, we finally found a company willing to take us to Maracas for four hours at the least fare that we could negotiate. 12 passengers for $35pp. That was tough to find as most companies we contacted were only willing to do actual day tours elsewhere or charge a fare higher than a four hour Princess trip to Maracas :eek:

After Trinidad, we will definitely be 'beached out', although we will make one more beach stop in llhabela. If you change your mind about Trinidad, check with us on the ship to see if anyone dropped out of group :)

Yeah, that was an older post on my part. As you've seen elsewhere now, we finally found a company willing to take us to Maracas for four hours at the least fare that we could negotiate. 12 passengers for $35pp. That was tough to find as most companies we contacted were only willing to do actual day tours elsewhere or charge a fare higher than a four hour Princess trip to Maracas :eek:

After Trinidad, we will definitely be 'beached out', although we will make one more beach stop in llhabela. If you change your mind about Trinidad, check with us on the ship to see if anyone dropped out of group :)

thanks, I will do

• 8 months later...

Hi,

So did you already come to Trinidad?

Going to Maracas is relatively easy if it is a week day. From the port you can walk into City Gate (The bus hub) and take a "Maxi Taxi" (a van used as taxi). It will cost probably 6 TT$ (1 US$) and take about an hour to reach.

On the way back it would be wise to have plenty of time, because it might be harder to find transport, and traffic into Port of Spain is terrible in the afternoon.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,

C.S.

PD: On weekends is harder, because there is no "normal" service. It is better to walk into the city centre and negotiate with a taxi driver for the full service. I would say some 200-300TT$ (40-50 Us$).

Hi,

So did you already come to Trinidad?

Going to Maracas is relatively easy if it is a week day. From the port you can walk into City Gate (The bus hub) and take a "Maxi Taxi" (a van used as taxi). It will cost probably 6 TT$ (1 US$) and take about an hour to reach.

On the way back it would be wise to have plenty of time, because it might be harder to find transport, and traffic into Port of Spain is terrible in the afternoon.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,

C.S.

PD: On weekends is harder, because there is no "normal" service. It is better to walk into the city centre and negotiate with a taxi driver for the full service. I would say some 200-300TT$ (40-50 Us$).

Thanks yes we were there in February. This was our second visit to Trinidad and loved it just as much as the first two times. We opted to stay in town and enjoy the pre Carnival festivities.

Here is a link to my blog report on that amazing day. Thanks for your response though, much appreciated

http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.ca/2014/02/trinidad-february-21-2014.html