Exchange rate in argentina and on board

DrJW

Is the exchange rate on board [ exchanging USD for local currency to the visiting port] reasonably close to the current official exchange rate or does O tack on some kind of commission or less desirable exchange rate?

Also, does anyone have any information on the 'blue dollar' exchange rate in Argentina..I've been told that the exchange rate at local exchange places ['cuevas'] is far better..but how safe it is to do these exchanges in the streets with local exchange vendors?

Thanks so much for any info you may have!

J

Highly unlikely "O" will be selling Pesos on board. It is not a stable currency.

Blue dollars are technically illegal. Since you do not know the currency I would avoid at all costs -- counterfeits are possible. Many shops will take USD. Certainly our tour guide preferred USD.

But if you do official rate is 8.5 and blue rate is around 14.7 and changes daily. It will also vary on amount and of course the dealer (like all black market stuff)

Here is link -- http://www.dolarblue.net/

Edited by PaulMCO

We have family living in Argentina and visit for several months every year. If you will be spending any amount of time in Argentina and/or are planning on making several purchases while there, the Blue exchange rate will cut your costs almost in half. That is the good news but you NEVER exchange money with someone on the street or go with someone that approached you on the street to "their" money exchange! Any reputable tour guide or hotel will take/send you to a licensed money exchange office where it is possible to exchange USD for ARG pesos at the Blue rate and not worry about counterfeit money.

Both the official and blue rate are published in all of the major daily newspapers so it is not a big secret or highly illegal.

The exchange rate varies day to day and outside of Argentina no one will accept/exchange ARG pesos so only exchange as much USD as you think you will need. Often, we visit the licensed money exchange office every few days. We pay for everything in ARG pesos (exchanged at the blue rate) and do not use USD or our credit card.

Argentina is a beautiful country with wonderful people and being able to use USD exchanged at the Blue rate makes your trip even more of a special travel experience.

I have never used Oceania's services to exchange money. We did use a local one that came on board on a Baltic cruise. Here's what O's FAQ says:

Can I exchange my money for local currency?

For European voyages, Euros may be purchased from Reception. For destinations in Europe that do not utlize the Euro, along with Far East and China, South America and the Caribbean, we will endeavor to provide currency exchange services onboard or provide the guest with information on currency exchange services available ashore. All foreign currency exchange transactions will be charged to the guest's onboard account and a 5% transaction fee will be applied by Oceania Cruises.

A lot of different answers here - hopefully, this will clarify:

1) Forget exchanging dollars for pesos on the ship - it won't happen (and even if it did exist it would be at the official ROE {rate of exchange} - which is not what you want - the blue rate is about 70% higher).

2) Many stores will give you close to the blue rate so if you are buying any big ticket items (like a leather coat) - you can offer U.S. dollars and see how close to the blue rate they are giving you.

3) You do want blue market pesos for taxis and restaurants.

4) Ask your hotel where a safe place is to exchange dollars for pesos at the blue rate (chances are it will be less than the blue rate but safer).

5) Finally, use your own intuition - probably some of the dealers on Florida are honest and some are dishonest - try not looking like a "Gringo" and use your language skills. i.e. you are in a Spanish speaking country - use your Spanish.