Insignia Departing New York at 5pm

cruisingxpert

Don't be too disappointed, you may be seeing more of our "R ships" than you ever imagined:

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20140911/NEWS04/140919935

I would be sorely disappointed. It's not that I don't like Bermuda; I do. It's just that Oceania made it's reputation with a widely varied itinerary, and this sounds like typical mainstream cruise thinking that you put a ship on a regular weekly schedule, like a bus. Anything that takes away some of the Oceania ships on that type of schedule just robs Oceania of one of it's main claims to success, in my opinion. If NCL starts to apply that kind of thinking, the lines they purchased will soon be worth less.

I have to say that I would be pleased if that happened. How would a regular route to Bermuda in the summer season be that different from a couple of regular routes to the Caribbean in the winter season? It would also keep an Oceania ship on the East Coast in the summer.

I have no desire to stay at the dockyards in Bermuda and one of the R ships going to Hamilton and St George's would be a huge improvement over Holland America's Veendam. Even Veendam stopped the route for 2 years.

I would be sorely disappointed. It's not that I don't like Bermuda; I do. It's just that Oceania made it's reputation with a widely varied itinerary, and this sounds like typical mainstream cruise thinking that you put a ship on a regular weekly schedule, like a bus. Anything that takes away some of the Oceania ships on that type of schedule just robs Oceania of one of it's main claims to success, in my opinion. If NCL starts to apply that kind of thinking, the lines they purchased will soon be worth less.

I couldn't agree with you more. Bermuda is a lovely island, and the beaches are beautiful, and Hamilton and St. George's are interesting. Once. But after that…. My opinion only. But it is, apparently, going to be his (Sheehan's) line, and he can obviously do with it what he chooses. The sun will come up tomorrow and all that.

If NCL takes away the interesting itineraries Oceania offers, then I will be looking for a new cruise line. It is the port of calls that keeps me coming back along with the size of the ship. I have done the Caribbean enough times that I don't want to go back again. It is becoming much too commercialized for me.

I have to say that I would be pleased if that happened. How would a regular route to Bermuda in the summer season be that different from a couple of regular routes to the Caribbean in the winter season? It would also keep an Oceania ship on the East Coast in the summer.

I have no desire to stay at the dockyards in Bermuda and one of the R ships going to Hamilton and St George's would be a huge improvement over Holland America's Veendam. Even Veendam stopped the route for 2 years.

Plus 1 Don..I hope they dont make such a drastic change..Azamara tried it and it did not work..

Jancruz1

Oceania regulars love the cruise line precisely because the itineraries are varied. If one ship goes to the same place all season, that takes away an opportunity for others to enjoy other destinations. It's putting all the eggs into one basket, which may work at the price point of mass market ships, but does not suit Oceania. The world does not need yet another ship going to the same places all season long.

This has nothing to do with Bermuda, I certainly enjoyed my visit there, but I don't want to go again and again and again.

Edited by hondorner

O has no ships in the area in the summer. All are in Europe where the money is. Caribbean cruises are mass market. I second the thoughts -- I would be disappointed if O does this.

O has no ships in the area in the summer. All are in Europe where the money is. Caribbean cruises are mass market. I second the thoughts -- I would be disappointed if O does this.

I'm obviously outnumbered but I still don't understand why you're all so opposed to having a ship on the east coast in the summer. You say Caribbean cruises are mass market but Oceania has them all winter and in the summer they do 10 or 12 Alaska cruises which are also done by the mass market ships.

I would like to take a cruise in the summer and I don't want to have to go to Europe every time and I don't want to go to Alaska - because it is cold and I get enough cold here in Canada:D. I also don't want to go on a mass market line if I can help it.

They could do several cruises to Bermuda - which I could happily return to. They could intersperse that with Eastern seaboard cruises when the weather is more guaranteed rather than wait to see fall colours and drizzly cold weather.

Am I just a voice in the wilderness?:)

Edited by cruisingxpert

I liked Bermuda also, but I agree about once every 10 years or so but maybe not every 10 years:D I like the small ships and I like to go someplace that I have never been before. If it is just to Bermuda, I am not paying the price of Oceania for that trip. I only go to the Caribbean when I want a cheap getaway and some of O's good food. Last time I was in Bermuda there was just literally no reason to make the effort to leave the beautiful ship (but I did not come to that conclusion until we were doing a tour). Keep O going to new and wonderful places -- with new selections each year to keep it fresh. Otherwise go on the main line and just enjoy the luxury of the ship and don't go ashore.

I'm obviously outnumbered but I still don't understand why you're all so opposed to having a ship on the east coast in the summer. You say Caribbean cruises are mass market but Oceania has them all winter and in the summer they do 10 or 12 Alaska cruises which are also done by the mass market ships.

I would like to take a cruise in the summer and I don't want to have to go to Europe every time and I don't want to go to Alaska - because it is cold and I get enough cold here in Canada:D. I also don't want to go on a mass market line if I can help it.

They could do several cruises to Bermuda - which I could happily return to. They could intersperse that with Eastern seaboard cruises when the weather is more guaranteed rather than wait to see fall colours and drizzly cold weather.

Am I just a voice in the wilderness?:)

Do you know how boring 3 days in Hamilton and 3 days in St George sounds when you are paying for a premium for a cruise and dont even spend time on board..I did this trip on Azamara a few years ago and spent a lot of money off the ship on lunches and dinners ..to me it doesnt make financial sense..

Jancruz1