Laundry room

DrJW

That is truly nothing less than disgusting!

I heard that O nickel and dimes it ( drinks..Costly excursions.. At time gratuities .. BUT CHARGING for launderette (one on every deck) is EMBARASSING!

It's not the $2 cost per machine .. But the principle!!!

Makes me question based on this little issue if I shall return for future bookings !

No other cruise line we have sailed:

Renaissance

princess we paid on Princess

royal carribean they have no self serve laundry rooms

crystal

silversea

have charged for launderette!

I'm am so disappointed with o for allowing this!

Sounds like you will be disappointed with your Oceania cruise before you even get on the ship

Too bad you did not do your research before you booked the cruise

Edited by LHT28

As a non-user of the ships coin laundry machines I will offer the following.

The ship has a laundry service which some (including ourselves) consider more than satisfactory. The coin machines are useful for others and it is not unreasonable that the users offset the cost of maintenance, etc. Many are accustomed to having washers and dryers in their homes and the concept of paying for this convenience may be troublesome because of this. This ignores the occasional repairs and replacement of the appliances in the home.

Also, the coin requirement may also be an attempt to avoid crowding that some have experienced especially on the R ships.

Since I'm used to paying to use the laundry machines at home, it has never bothered me to pay when on board the ship. As I recall, Renaissance DID charge to use the machines. And then there is NCL which has removed laundry equipment from their ships.

It could be worse.

Mura

Free laundry on Royal Caribbean and Princess? Only cruised each of them once, but I missed this. I'm almost positive there are no self serve laundry facilities on RC. A little research will show you that Princess charges $2 a load per machine for their self service facilities.

I didn't get any free laundry on Silversea either, but I seem to remember it being a loyalty perk with them.

I do get 30 pieces free on Celebrity for cruises over 7 days. But that's only an Elite and above perk.

I truly fail to see what the outrage is about.

A friend who just returned from an O cruise, told me that there is a "new", to me ,policy called 20 for $20 on cruises 14 days or longer.You can have 20 items laundered and folded for $20. This seems like a good deal to me. Far better than spending time in the laundry room or returning with packed dirty clothes.

Joan

It's such a small price to pay, I don't understand why you are making such an issue about this. I have never heard of anyone who thought they might decide not to go on an Oceania cruise because they have to pay to do their laundry. It is like the most trivial issue! Now, if you were talking about food, then I understand.

Not every one needs to use the laundry room, some choose to hand wash in their bathroom, others don't mind spending time sitting watching your clothes go round and round etc etc, then the same thing with the dryer....

I saw your comment that other luxury cruise lines do not charge to use the laundry, however as they usually charge more for the cruise, the laundry cost would be built into this I would have thought. I really hope you were joking when you posted your comment about paying to do your laundry.

That is truly nothing less than disgusting!

I heard that O nickel and dimes it ( drinks..Costly excursions.. At time gratuities .. BUT CHARGING for launderette (one on every deck) is EMBARASSING!

It's not the $2 cost per machine .. But the principle!!!

Makes me question based on this little issue if I shall return for future bookings !

I don't know what ships you are on but I have been doing laundry on cruises for over 20 years and nearly 100% of the time there is a nominal cost for the machines and you have to get tokens or coins from the cashier and that is a pain the you know what. Take a look at the list of lines that I am on. Not having a laundry is a deal breaker (almost) for me. It is not nickel and diming it just is. Same in hotels from my experience also. If I am going on land trip before or after a cruise, I make sure the hotel has a self service laundry on-site or nearby because I will have to do laundry.

Hi JW,

>princess

My upcoming cruise on Princess charges for DIY laundry.

An upcoming cruise on HAL doesn't have a DIY laundry and charges for use of the ship's facilities,

It is possible that your expectations were off.

Have a good voyage.

Ira

No other cruise line we have sailed:

Renaissance

princess

royal carribean

crystal

silversea

have charged for launderette!

I'm am so disappointed with o for allowing this!

When was the last time you sailed on Princess? I know for a fact that Princess has charged for launderette use since at least the '90's!

We were on Star Princess last November, we had an upgraded mini suite across from a launderette and used it; $2 wash and $2 dry. The took quarters.

RCI doesnt have a laundry. all princess ones including the "R" ships do, but all charge for them. carnival charges and I thought HAL had them and charged. don't know about you but on long cruises im glad they are available. on our 31 SA one, I had accumulated 2 weeks worth of dirty laundry precruise:D

I too don't understand the other negative posts and threads from the OP. seems like O isn't the line for her...sorry

• 2 weeks later...

In a word, no. On Regatta we were opposite the laundry TWICE (back then it was the R2 with Renaissance) and never heard a thing until we opened our door. On the "O" ships the laundry is even further away from cabins.

Mura

A friend who just returned from an O cruise, told me that there is a "new", to me ,policy called 20 for $20 on cruises 14 days or longer.You can have 20 items laundered and folded for $20. This seems like a good deal to me. Far better than spending time in the laundry room or returning with packed dirty clothes.

Joan

We are scheduled for a 16 day cruise (Marina 12/1 out of BA) - can I count on this actually being correct information?

Our experience has been that this option is offered sometimes, not all. On a 16 day cruise, you might indeed get it.

Our last two cruises were 18 days + and I believe it was offered on both cruises. But, as I said, not ALWAYS.

Still, if you prefer to use the ship's laundry as opposed to doing it yourself, there is always that option ... just pay the fee! I happen to be a person who prefers to do my own, especially since I have so much "cold water" wash to do. I don't trust the ship to do it that way -- not that they've ever damaged anything we've given them to do.

It's not particularly a NEW option. It just isn't offered on all cruises.

Mura

Complaining about a nominal laundry charge is akin to not buying a car because you don't like the horn. Without a charge' date=' machines would never be available with passengers washing small loads all the time.[/quote']

Welcome! Your very first post, and it's a good one!

I really do not understand the angst over the nominal charge for using the laundry facilities. However, if you choose your wardrobe wisely for travelling you do not need to use them at all. We just returned from 24 days on Marina (B2B2B) and simply washed what needed cleaning (underwear and socks mostly) in the sink and hung them on the clothes line that stretches over the tub. Money saved and then invested in happy hour.