How certain is my upgrade?

Lady_Jag

I booked an oceanview guarantee room a couple of weeks ago for my Christmas cruise this month. Today, I went to my booking dashboard and see that I have a cabin assigned - Deck 6, "Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony!" Sweet!

We weren't expecting a balcony, but I'm excited to check it out. However, I don't want to get my hopes up too high, because having booked a GTY, I know my cabin might change. Then again, we leave in 2 weeks, so is there a big chance we'll get shuffled to another cabin?

In all honesty, your cabin assignment can change up until you check in. All you are guaranteed is a cabin in the category you originally booked in.

That being said, usually if you receive a cabin assignment, that is the cabin you will get..........but be prepared for that to change anytime before check-in.

BTW - printing out your boarding pass does not guarantee that you will get that cabin if the cruise line changes it before boarding.

Edited by sailinglisa

We've done 14 guaranty cabin cruise bookings and how gotten upgrades from the lowest category that could have been assigned 12 times. Granted most of these were within the same cabin class so we got a higher category in that class instead of the lowest possible. Some here may not consider these to be a real upgrade but, IMO, it is still nice to get a D1 instead of a E3 balcony on a Radiance class ship.

We've never been downgraded back to a lower category. Twice our upgrade cabin has been changed to a even higher category, actually higher class of cabins. The best was a Z inside gty, that was assigned a lowest category OV, then re-assigned a top category balcony a few days later which was just three days prior to embarkation.:)

Actually once when we boarded a ship, the higher class of cabin, an OV, we had been upgraded to had a serious flood so wasn't available to us. At first only a cabin in a lower class, which was still within our gty possibility, was available but the customer relations manager asked us to wait until the check in process was done to see what became available. Later that evening we were given the best category regular balcony cabin so we had a super size balcony for that 12 night cruise.;)

Edited by robtulipe