Taking a stroller in port

misseskb

We will have a 22 month old at cruise time. I would like to know if you took your stroller in port with you. If so, did you find it difficult to manage excursions with it? I cannot imagine taking the stroller with us to the beach. At the same time, I cannot imagine us carrying her when she is tired while in port. We are cruising FOS in early September.

In Falmouth we will have a private tour and visit Dunns River Falls, lunch, local tour, etc.

In Cayman we are deciding between the turtle farm or underwater tour, and the beach.

In Cozumel we are doing an island tour, chankanaab park, and beach.

Thanks.

It really depends on how much walking you have to do to get to the beach/park/tours or whatever transportation you are taking to get to them. I would think a stroller would be handy to have for a almost 2 year old rather than carry her. Really, sometimes getting off the pier is along walk with a little one while trying to navigate through crowds, whether carrying or walking with her. We did the turtle farm a while ago before kids and think it would work there. Not familiar with the other excursions.

If DD "likes" riding in a stroller (ours always did), bringing a small easily collapsable umbrella type stroller is a great idea.

Be certain to invest in one that is comfortable to push (I test drove models at the local Burlington Coat factory with a huge heavy mixer as the "passenger" and just pushed them around and around -- for me most were too short. The tie breaker was ease of open/close - and particularly how easily it stayed closed). Price is another factor since it is likely to get some rough treatment if it needs to get checked for a flight.

When my kids were that age, I much preferred taking a carrier like an Ergo rather than trying to manuever a stroller through ports. Bumpy pavements, lots of stairs, cracks in the road... not comfortable for anyone. I felt so much more agile.

I used my Ergo until my daughter was 3.5, and it was so great on my back! She could sleep in it as well - there's a little hood type thing that fastens so their heads don't fall backwards when they fall asleep.

Worth a look, especially if you can borrow one or get one second hand. My friend who lived in Edinburgh suggested one to me, as she gave up on strollers with all the hills and stairs in that city. She was right, so much easier!

If DD "likes" riding in a stroller (ours always did), bringing a small easily collapsable umbrella type stroller is a great idea.

Be certain to invest in one that is comfortable to push (I test drove models at the local Burlington Coat factory with a huge heavy mixer as the "passenger" and just pushed them around and around -- for me most were too short. The tie breaker was ease of open/close - and particularly how easily it stayed closed). Price is another factor since it is likely to get some rough treatment if it needs to get checked for a flight.

We actually didn't like any of the offered ones at Burlington Coat Factory...instead got a great one that had every feature we were looking for under $50.00 at BabiesRUs ;)

We travel with a Chicco umbrella and a good babycarrier. We have a Kinderpack preschool size with mesh and a BabyHawk Oh Snap for our 5 and 3 year olds. Strollers don't go in the sand very well, and the carriers come in very handy.

We took a Baby Jogger City Mini (our normal stroller) on our first cruise, but it didn't fit through the cabin door. Too wide. Oops.

We took our Chicco Liteway with us and it worked perfectly. We used it on tender boats, on the beach, and on other excursions.

We brought an ergo, but baby boy is into pulling hair and he is 24 lbs at 10 months. SO HEAVY. The stroller worked so much better. Also, he got super sweaty in the ergo.

Enjoy your trip!

We've taken our daughter twice so far and have brought our Britax both times. We only used it in port and never had a problem. I would definitely bring one and just fold it up once you got to the beach.

She'll be 15 months on our next cruise in September and we just bought a new Uppababy 'umbrella' stroller that we'll bring this time. On past cruises I just carried her everywhere on ship but this time I think she'll be too heavy for that. (Daddy's not as young as he used to be!) So I'm hoping the Uppababy will be small enough to maneuver on board. We'll see.

If you can do the carrier though that will be great. I did it when she was younger but I can't imagine doing it in the Caribbean, both she and I sweat too much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We took a Baby Jogger City Mini (our normal stroller) on our first cruise, but it didn't fit through the cabin door. Too wide. Oops.

:eek: I'm glad you mentioned this - that was the stroller I was planning to bring (the only one we currently own).

I read somewhere about putting one of those "cooling towels" between you & baby when you use a carrier - I may try that with the Moby.

We cruised on the Freedom last month with out 18 month old and had our City Mini with us and it fit through our cabin door perfectly fine. We also had no problems going down the hallways or anything. In Grand Cayman, we kept our son in the stroller to get on and off the tender with no problems. We didn't do any excursions in any port, so I'm if no help there. We did use a Frogg Toggs cooling towel and it seemed to help some. We used it both in the stroller as well as in our Tula carrier.

We cruised on the Freedom last month with out 18 month old and had our City Mini with us and it fit through our cabin door perfectly fine. We also had no problems going down the hallways or anything. In Grand Cayman, we kept our son in the stroller to get on and off the tender with no problems. We didn't do any excursions in any port, so I'm if no help there. We did use a Frogg Toggs cooling towel and it seemed to help some. We used it both in the stroller as well as in our Tula carrier.

So happy to see you have a little boy now we met you both on the Brilliance when you were on your honeymoon happy memories.

Mary :)

We just bought a White Boba Air Baby Carrier and love it!!!!!

We also recently purchased the First Years Ignite Umbrella Stroller and it's absolutely wonderful, my 9 month old lo loves it and we get comments on it all the time.

If you guys aren't bringing a car seat with you than I would suggest taking a umbrella stroller and baby carrier.

So happy to see you have a little boy now we met you both on the Brilliance when you were on your honeymoon happy memories.

Mary :)

You have a great memory Mary! 😊 5 years went by fast. We want to relive that trip one day!!

If you can do the carrier though that will be great. I did it when she was younger but I can't imagine doing it in the Caribbean, both she and I sweat too much!

You should try the new Ergo Ventus- it's mostly mesh- I am about to buy it because I live in Houston and it's so hot here I can't even imagine buying a regular carrier.

We are planning to bring an umbrella stroller but will mostly rely on our abc toddler carrier or a thinner ring sling I think. I am crazy and worry about someone snatching him.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
We travel with a Chicco umbrella and a good babycarrier. We have a Kinderpack preschool size with mesh and a BabyHawk Oh Snap for our 5 and 3 year olds. Strollers don't go in the sand very well, and the carriers come in very handy.

When my son was 2, I took my City Mini on the Destiny with him. It was great. I did have to fold it up when I got to the cabin, but it wasn't an issue. And it fit perfectly in the space btwn the balcony door and the bed.

Cruising with my 28mos old next month. I'm DEFINITELY bringing the stroller. Just the thought of carrying her around for hours in port gives me the chills. I take the stroller on excursions and have even taken it to the beach. We just carried the stroller over the sand to lounge chairs and kept it beside us. In port they come in handy for more than just a tired child. She naps in it, we stash our souvenirs and other purchases. We use it to carry drinks. It's indispensable.