River Cruise Dining

jm485

Hi experienced river cruisers! My DH and I are considering a river cruise for our upcoming anniversary. We're at the younger end of the age spectrum for these cruises from what I can tell (mid-40s) and we both work full-time, and we really don't have the opportunity to get away often.

That being said, one major concern we have is privacy,especially at meals. Do any of the river cruises offer truly private dining, or do all have tables of 6-8 at dinner? This is a deal-breaker, so I'm hoping the answer is yes ... but I suspect it's no.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi experienced river cruisers! My DH and I are considering a river cruise for our upcoming anniversary. We're at the younger end of the age spectrum for these cruises from what I can tell (mid-40s) and we both work full-time, and we really don't have the opportunity to get away often.

That being said, one major concern we have is privacy,especially at meals. Do any of the river cruises offer truly private dining, or do all have tables of 6-8 at dinner? This is a deal-breaker, so I'm hoping the answer is yes ... but I suspect it's no.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think it varies by line and ship. On our cruise on the AMACello, there were 7-8 tables for 2. Most days (2-3 meals/day) we found one. Perhaps 2 meals total, we shared a table. I would expect this is true for most AMA ships (perhaps not for those cases where they charter another provider's ship due to local restrictions). I think that reviews of the newest Viking ships note that they did not have them.

I think it varies by line and ship. On our cruise on the AMACello, there were 7-8 tables for 2. Most days (2-3 meals/day) we found one. Perhaps 2 meals total, we shared a table. I would expect this is true for most AMA ships (perhaps not for those cases where they charter another provider's ship due to local restrictions). I think that reviews of the newest Viking ships notes that they did not have them.

I should clarify a bit, if you truly want a private experience...

I assume most ships will have closely-spaced tables. Our favorite aspect of the dueces aboard was that they were against the wall and next to a table of 4. We would start by ourselves, but inevitably start chatting with the table next to us. The advantage was we had the choice. However, even if we didn't visit, our table wasn't really private.

Some lines (Tauck?) might allow you to take meals in your cabin, if this is essential. I know you didn't ask, but i would think that isolating yourselves might compromise the interaction with fellow cruisers and the "we're all in the same boat" camaraderie which I personally enjoy about river cruising.

Hope this helps.

On Avalon's Expression the dining room has 6 tables for 2. There are 3 tables up against the wall facing the door. On our trip several couples regularly eat there. They do often talk between others at the 2 person tables. Hope this helps!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There were tables for 2 on AmaDante and AmaCerto. Also the new AMA ships have a specialty dining venue that you reserve, where you can definitely book a table for 2. It is available for all guests one evening guaranteed but we were able to book another later in the cruise.

We had no tables for 2 on Avalon's Luminary, Affinity and there were a few on Panorama. Hard to get though.

sorry,but this type cruise may not be for you.We,also,prefer table for 2 ,but not THAT important that we can t enjoy river cruising.Will have to figure out HOW important it is,and chose accordingly.

I say,give it a try, many GOOD POINTs, then if not for you ....dont go again.Hard decision,right?:confused:

Sorry, I had the wrong boat :eek:. I was on the AMACerto and there were NO table for two (at least that I saw). Caviargirl saw some, but I didn't :rolleyes:.

There were a number of banquettes in the MDR that were for two. Since we enjoy dining alone when not traveling with friends, we always look for these.

Thanks to all for the information. Confirms what I suspected about river cruising -- that part of the experience is interacting with fellow passengers. Without getting into a lot of gory detail, let me just say that I'm rather introverted and Mr. JM is extremely so, which makes dealing with folks we don't know stressful for us. We can't even stay at B&Bs for this reason! I wish we enjoyed it more, as reading these responses does make it clear that it adds to your experiences. And if it weren't so expensive, I'd be tempted to take Alexandra's advice and give it a go. But I know us well enough to know that we wouldn't enjoy it if we didn't at least have the option of keeping to ourselves.

I will take a look at the couple of ships some of you have mentioned as having "couples" tables ... and maybe at some other options for seeing the area we're interested in (the Rhine/Moselle region in Germany). A driving trip might be fun, too. Again, many thanks for the quick and informative replies!

Just returned from a trip on the Avalon Vista and there were 8 tables for 2, 3 on each side near the entrance to the restaurant and 2 midway down each side but almost touching a 4 seater. The 3 2seaters next to each other were within about 16 inches of each other so you could carry on a conversation with those next to you or just yourselves. We found that there were many groups travelling together and they'd often take the same tables, same chairs, morning noon and evening. We were alone and sometimes sat at a 2, other times joined others. If you want to be very private one night you can always ask for room service. There is a small charge

jm - you sometimes have the option of dining in port on your own. Yes, you are paying for meals on board but it is nice to have a meal here and there in port.

Also, you will find that you can probably find a table for just the two of you for breakfast and possibly for lunch.

We just got off the AMACello and there were NO tables for two.

Interesting. Because when we were on her in April, there were tables for 2 along each of the the banquette dividers, next to the windows, with 4 tops next to them. We sat in them almost every meal.

Interesting. Because when we were on her in April, there were tables for 2 along each of the the banquette dividers, next to the windows, with 4 tops next to them. We sat in them almost every meal.

1012204_10151457629328414_1343044036_n.jpg

Maybe these can be separated for tables of 2???

996525_10151457629308414_627432098_n.jpg

1044995_10151457629303414_1436924669_n.jpg

1012204_10151457629328414_1343044036_n.jpg

Maybe these can be separated for tables of 2???

996525_10151457629308414_627432098_n.jpg

1044995_10151457629303414_1436924669_n.jpg

Actually, I think we've mixed ships again. I was talking about the AMACello which you originally mentioned (and later clarified you meant AMACerto - which I didn't initially see).

And, although the section with round tables didn't look familiar for the AMACello class ships, yes, I suspect that the table for 6 in the first pic can be split. Likewise, in the foreground in the bottom photo, you can see irregularly spaced chairs which would look like we found aboard with adjacent tables for 4 and 2.

Actually, I think we've mixed ships again. I was talking about the AMACello which you originally mentioned (and later clarified you meant AMACerto - which I didn't initially see).

And, although the section with round tables didn't look familiar for the AMACello class ships, yes, I suspect that the table for 6 in the first pic can be split. Likewise, in the foreground in the bottom photo, you can see irregularly spaced chairs which would look like we found aboard with adjacent tables for 4 and 2.

I either had a Senior Moment or not enough coffee when I posted this :D.

LOL

We just got off the AMA Prima in May and I can verify there were no specific tables for 2. That being said, there were times, especially at Breakfast and Lunch, where we ate as a couple because the dining room was not full or had the continental breakfast/”Lite Lunch” in the lounge.

Just remember, cruising tends to be a social experience. The good news is you are not assigned a table. The first week, we tried to sit next to different people at every meal mainly to see who we would want to spend an hour or so with again and who we would not. By the 2nd week, we had a core of 8-10 couples we would seek out because we knew they were folks that we enjoyed.

I don't know how this may apply to other cruise lines but when you cruise with Tauck you have the option of dining in their Lido Restaurant. It is situated at the stern and accommodates just 20 people with tables mainly for two. The menu is not as elaborate as the one in the main dining room but you receive the intimate attention by a wait person and may be what the OP was looking for.

Rod

We just got off the AMA Prima in May and I can verify there were no specific tables for 2. That being said, there were times, especially at Breakfast and Lunch, where we ate as a couple because the dining room was not full or had the continental breakfast/”Lite Lunch” in the lounge.

Just remember, cruising tends to be a social experience. The good news is you are not assigned a table. The first week, we tried to sit next to different people at every meal mainly to see who we would want to spend an hour or so with again and who we would not. By the 2nd week, we had a core of 8-10 couples we would seek out because we knew they were folks that we enjoyed.

But the OP finds it more enjoyable to not socialize. Cruises do tend to be social, but it's not a requirement. It looks like from the pictures, you could sit at one of those booths and tell the "host" seating you, that you just wish to be alone so he would not seat others with you.

Hi, We just got off the AMACERTO last week. Although there were no dedicated tables for 2, we did notice that almost every night there were tables with only 2 people sitting at them. Not sure if the guests asked to be at a table by themselves or if just worked out that way.

But the OP finds it more enjoyable to not socialize. Cruises do tend to be social, but it's not a requirement. It looks like from the pictures, you could sit at one of those booths and tell the "host" seating you, that you just wish to be alone so he would not seat others with you.

No "host".... you just find a table and sit down.

The only thing you can do is scout out a table for two - and then be at the doors when the dining room opens to make sure you grab the table.

But - if you are introverted - and find socializing with people you don't know to be stressful - then meal times could be VERY stressful on a river cruise. It is a lot of money to spend if you think that the end result could be 7+ days of stress vs 7+ days of enjoyment.

Fran

You might prefer a barge trip to a river cruise. Fewer people, more personal attention.

Why do you want a table-for-2 isolated from the others? If it is a medical problem, call the cruise companies to ak for their advice.

cb

Thanks to all for the information. Confirms what I suspected about river cruising -- that part of the experience is interacting with fellow passengers

...Again, many thanks for the quick and informative replies!

Of course you know your comfort level - and should plan accordingly. Life and vacation time is too valuable to spend being uncomfortable. I must say personally that I find river cruises less intrusive than B&Bs.

Another approach is to plan it with another couple of friends or family. You can spend most of your time traveling and sitting with them in your own bubble as it were and meet others as you're comfortable.

Here's wishing you wonderful travels - however you travel.

No "host".... you just find a table and sit down.

The only thing you can do is scout out a table for two - and then be at the doors when the dining room opens to make sure you grab the table.

But - if you are introverted - and find socializing with people you don't know to be stressful - then meal times could be VERY stressful on a river cruise. It is a lot of money to spend if you think that the end result could be 7+ days of stress vs 7+ days of enjoyment.

Fran

I've been on a river cruise (Viking, actually) only once before, and I didn't remember just sitting down w/o being seated. How do you do this - scout around to see who else hasn't ordered yet? Seems a little odd to be walking around in order to find a table who is at the same place you are....make sense?

Felicia

Archived