Help Please with Shanghai disembarkation question

YVRCanuck

Looking for help from anyone that has disembarked in Shanghai. We are planning to head straight to the Hongqiao Railway station from the port and catch a train to Beijing. So trying to figure out our timing as to what train/time we will be on.

Would like to know;

- what was the earliest time you were able to get off the ship after docking

- how long did it take to get through China customs

- can you carry off your own luggage

- where there lots of cabs available at the port

- would it be better/faster to catch the train from the port to the train station because of the heavy road traffic

- how long does it take to get to the train station from the port by either taxi or train

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I posted this on the Celebrity Forum and received a few replies, so posting here in hopes of getting more assistance. Would be grateful if anyone here can answer any questions, especially the travel time from the port to the train station.

We went the other direction, from Beijing to Shanghai, so I can't help with everything. We used ChinaHighlights for our arrangements and found them very helpful. I didn't time the drive from the high-speed train station to our hotel (near the cruise terminal at the end of the Bund) but it wasn't a quick ride. I didn't notice many cabs when we arrived at the cruise terminal. There are different cruise terminals in Shanghai and you don't mention which one you'll be using. Your experience may be different than ours.

When we entered China (port for Beijing) our luggage was sent through a scanner. I wouldn't be surprised if the same occurred at Shanghai.

I would suggest using ChinaHighlights (or another reputable agency) to help you with prearranged transfers and train tickets. They should know which train would be best for your timing.

Assuming you are disembarking in Baoshan:

You will need to take a taxi or the bus to the subway station, Line 3, Baoyang Station

Transfer at Zhongshan Park to Line 2, then to Hongqiao Railway Station.

travel time will be about 90 minutes. The transfer from line 3 to line 2 is at a very busy station and you will need to go from an elevated line down a few stories to the line 2 platform.

Not every station has "down" escalators, be prepared for stairs. At Zhongshan Park station I'm pretty sure there will be an elevator though you may have to wait before you can get on.

My advice: Taxi. Travel time may be similar but far less trouble.

We are docking at the Wusongkou International Cruise terminal and disembarking off the Celebrity Millennium. Is that the same as Baoshan Terminal?

Thanks for your replies. This seems to be the most stressful part of our trip, LOL. We are both able to carry our luggage, so don't think that is an issue.

I did email a tour company, but I think their fee is quite steep. They are charging $100 for a private van, which includes a driver and an English speaking guide. They are also asking almost another $100 if we want to be picked up directly outside of the cruise terminal, otherwise we will be required to walk about 20 minutes to the pick up location (are we being scammed?). They claim the extra charge is for parking permission at the terminal!

Can anyone advise me how difficult it is to get to the subway station, line 3, Baoyang station and costs, compared to the cost of just taking a taxi directly from the cruise terminal to the Hongqiao Railway station?

While at the subway station or the Hongqiao Railway station, are there english speaking staff there to assist with purchasing tickets?

Thanks. :)

Yes, the Wousongkou terminal is in Baoshan.

I would take a taxi from there. Be sure to have the address where you are going written in Chinese and ask about how much it will cost. The drivers cannot read English or maps.

When we were there we had an overnight (not planned but because of the 2011 earthquake in Japan). Some passengers made their way to the subway and into Shanghai downtown instead of taking the free shuttle bus. However it involved either a bus or taxi to get there. They were young, without luggage, and likely experienced travellers. Doing this with luggage would not be fun.

We stayed in Shanghai several days and had no problem figuring out the subway and getting tickets. The station signs are in both Chinese script and English as are the announcements.

When we disembarked the next day we took a taxi. I cannot remember what we paid, but it was nowhere near what you were quoted - likely more like 100-200 yuan.

http://*******/maps/KxXOc

Edited by maryann ns

Can anyone advise me how difficult it is to get to the subway station, line 3, Baoyang station and costs

You will pay the flag-fare, 13/14 rmb

Copy, paste, and print:

Subway:

Dìtiě

地铁

Baoyang Road Station:

Bǎoyáng Lù Zhàn

宝杨路站

From Baoyang Rd. to Hongqiao Railway Station the fare will be about 7 rmb by subway

the cost of just taking a taxi directly from the cruise terminal to the Hongqiao Railway station?

approximately 150 rmb depending on traffic of course

Hongqiao Railway Station

Shànghǎi Hóngqiáo Zhàn

上海虹桥站

While at the subway station or the Hongqiao Railway station, are there english speaking staff there to assist with purchasing tickets?

Yes, but don't expect fluent English. If you can say your destination that should be enough. Ticket machines have an English option, signs are in English as are announcements as someone already mentioned.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/shanghai/transportation/take-subway.htm

Edited by stowaway2k

YVRCanuck - from WouSongKou cruise port @ Baoshan to Hongqiao Railway Station, for HST to Beijing is a trip of 42 km, about 1 hour by car depending on traffic via 4 lanes highway (no tolls) and current taxi metered fare is under $150 CNY (Yuan as in Chinese dollars) using a rough conversion rate of 6.1 to 1 for the USD = $25 US plus a small tip for the happy driver.

As noted, most drivers speak some to no English, please have a printed/written out paper with Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station (and its address, which they all must know) to show - so that the driver can go directly, and pay the fare in Yuan's.

On ship arrival/port days - plenty of taxis available and bilingual (English, mostly) assistance at the pier to help pax and drivers in communicating on where one is going. No need to pre-book and/or hire a local tour company AND absolutely unnecessary to use a tour guide - for transportation between 2 major hubs - and those quoted prices are, IMO literally "highway robbery"

Have you researched & planned your HST, booked your "G" ("bullet") train tickets, etc. as it's better to do so before leaving? There is a help window/counter staffed by bilingual/English speaking staff at HRW to assist foreign travelers, thus a longer wait & possibly missing the next departing train for the 5 hours ride.

For max. comfort, Business Seat (similar to flying "F") with single and paired seating per row is best, superior over "First Class Seats" priced for less - depending on one's budget & preference. Link to the official ctrip website - one of the major travel service based in PVG (Shanghai) with branches & offices all over. http://english.ctrip.com/trains/

Edited by mking8288

Yes, the Wousongkou terminal is in Baoshan.

I would take a taxi from there. Be sure to have the address where you are going written in Chinese and ask about how much it will cost. The drivers cannot read English or maps.

When we were there we had an overnight (not planned but because of the 2011 earthquake in Japan). Some passengers made their way to the subway and into Shanghai downtown instead of taking the free shuttle bus. However it involved either a bus or taxi to get there. They were young, without luggage, and likely experienced travellers. Doing this with luggage would not be fun.

We stayed in Shanghai several days and had no problem figuring out the subway and getting tickets. The station signs are in both Chinese script and English as are the announcements.

When we disembarked the next day we took a taxi. I cannot remember what we paid, but it was nowhere near what you were quoted - likely more like 100-200 yuan.

http://*******/maps/KxXOc

Thanks maryann ns. I'm guessing the earthquake was a bit of a shocker to everyone on the cruise.

I clicked on your link, but all I get back is a page that indicates the webpage is not available. You also mentioned about a free shuttle. Is that a normal service at the port or was it just provided because of the earthquake?

Edited by YVRCanuck

You will pay the flag-fare, 13/14 rmb

Copy, paste, and print:

Subway:

Dìtiě

地铁

Baoyang Road Station:

Bǎoyáng Lù Zhàn

宝杨路站

From Baoyang Rd. to Hongqiao Railway Station the fare will be about 7 rmb by subway

approximately 150 rmb depending on traffic of course

Hongqiao Railway Station

Shànghǎi Hóngqiáo Zhàn

上海虹桥站

Yes, but don't expect fluent English. If you can say your destination that should be enough. Ticket machines have an English option, signs are in English as are announcements as someone already mentioned.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/shanghai/transportation/take-subway.htm

Thanks stowaway2k. I will definitely copy and print these out. Thanks for the links. Especially the one about the ticket machine. Has put me more at ease about using the subway.

YVRCanuck - from WouSongKou cruise port @ Baoshan to Hongqiao Railway Station, for HST to Beijing is a trip of 42 km, about 1 hour by car depending on traffic via 4 lanes highway (no tolls) and current taxi metered fare is under $150 CNY (Yuan as in Chinese dollars) using a rough conversion rate of 6.1 to 1 for the USD = $25 US plus a small tip for the happy driver.

As noted, most drivers speak some to no English, please have a printed/written out paper with Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station (and its address, which they all must know) to show - so that the driver can go directly, and pay the fare in Yuan's.

On ship arrival/port days - plenty of taxis available and bilingual (English, mostly) assistance at the pier to help pax and drivers in communicating on where one is going. No need to pre-book and/or hire a local tour company AND absolutely unnecessary to use a tour guide - for transportation between 2 major hubs - and those quoted prices are, IMO literally "highway robbery"

Have you researched & planned your HST, booked your "G" ("bullet") train tickets, etc. as it's better to do so before leaving? There is a help window/counter staffed by bilingual/English speaking staff at HRW to assist foreign travelers, thus a longer wait & possibly missing the next departing train for the 5 hours ride.

For max. comfort, Business Seat (similar to flying "F") with single and paired seating per row is best, superior over "First Class Seats" priced for less - depending on one's budget & preference. Link to the official ctrip website - one of the major travel service based in PVG (Shanghai) with branches & offices all over. http://english.ctrip.com/trains/

Thanks mking8288. I am guessing that "HST" stands for "High Speed Train," but I am not sure what "HRW" is short for.

We would like to pre-book our tickets, however our dilemma is that we do not know how long it will take to get off the cruise ship, how long it will take to get through customs and how long it will take to travel to the Hongqiao Railway Station if there is a high volume of road traffic.

In regards to the seat class on the train. If we chose the second class seats, are they very comfortable. Will we regret not choosing a higher class seat, or will the second class seats be sufficient for the 5 hour trip? Also will our luggage be safe on the train. Is the luggage stored in a baggage car or can we have them next to our seats? Is there a limit as too how much luggage you can take on the train?

Sorry, one more question, will the taxi's comfortably fit 4 people and their luggage, or will 2 taxi's be required?

Also, thank you for the link.

Thanks to everyone that can help with all of my questions.

In regards to the seat class on the train. If we chose the second class seats, are they very comfortable. Will we regret not choosing a higher class seat, or will the second class seats be sufficient for the 5 hour trip? Also will our luggage be safe on the train. Is the luggage stored in a baggage car or can we have them next to our seats? Is there a limit as too how much luggage you can take on the train?

We took a high speed train from a huge provincial train station to Wuhan, another huge train station. Our company (ChinaFocus) had booked assigned first class tickets for us. Second class was crowded. I don't know if the seats were assigned in second class. Occasionally, one seat was empty in first class and a young woman sat there, then disappeared when the tickets were controlled and when the passenger came whose seat it was. She reappeared again and sat in another empty seat. Maybe she only had a standing ticket. At any given time there was only one empty seat for her.

The train stations were very crowded and chaotic with lots of pushing and shoving, not a single English sign. The entrance was blocked by a security gate with scanners. We each had a large suitcase and a carry-on. The suitcases had to be stored near the wagon entrance and there was not enough space for the 8 suitcases of our group of 8. The seat arrangement was as in a plane, so basically no space for a large suitcase.

It sure was an adventure, but in the future, I would do this only with a carry-on that fits in the overhead tray.

This may be totally different in Beijing and Shanghai where they have English signs. Passengers in the Shanghai subway were disciplined so you may not encounter the chaos of a huge hinterland train station.

By the way, the first class tickets were not expensive.

... "HST" stands for "High Speed Train," but I am not sure what "HRW" is short for ... our dilemma is that we do not know how long it will take to get off the cruise ship, ... get through customs and ... travel to the Hongqiao Railway Station if there is a high volume of road traffic.

If we chose the second class seats, are they very comfortable ... be sufficient for the 5 hour trip? Also will our luggage be safe on the train. Is the luggage stored in a baggage car or can we have them next to our seats? Is there a limit as too how much luggage you can take on the train? ... will the taxi's comfortably fit 4 people and their luggage, or will 2 taxi's be required?

Oops - High Speed Train and Hongqiao RailWay Station, respectively. On the question of traffic on the highways, they are wide & new, flat and well managed - in urbanized area, volume could be heavy but I'm guessing that you will be off-peak by the time you cleared the ship, go thru immigration & customs, get into the taxi lines and hire yours to the railway station. The ride itself is said to be 1 hour and I would add 30 minutes. Maybe someone who've recently cruised the itinerary can help you better with the arrival/docking/dry land/out of the restricted & into arrival/meet-n-greet area (2 - 3 hours would be my guess)

I know when we flew into PVG (Shanghai Int'l Airport via Hong Kong) - we're outside looking for our local tour guide/host to take us to our waiting hotel (near Hongqiao Railway Station, actually) in under 45 minutes (maybe 30 minutes) but others in the group on a different flight got delayed due to air traffic/weather, so we ended up sitting around for an extra hour+.

If the ship's scheduled arrival is 8 AM, I would book a HST - allowing some time for a lunch stop - after 2 PM or maybe 2:30 PM for the next 5 hour ride.

As others noted, the price for a First Class seat is similar to flying US/Canada Business Class, with more comfortable 2 x 2 seating; and, will definitely be better overall and more civilized.

This link via one of the many travel services has extensive info on train travel in China, it should be useful & helpful for you in planning - NOT an endorsement of their offering http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/transportation/choose-china-train-types-and-seat.htm

Accordingly, each adult railway passenger is limited to 20 kg or 44 lbs. of carry-on luggage (equal to a fully packed 24" lightweight suitcase) - in practice, enforcement is inconsistent and you should be able to take along a small personal bag, similar to flying domestic US airliners. With 4 adults & luggage, some of the smaller 4 door VW sedan will probably not fit even if they bungee cord the trunk open but you should be able to get a taxi van with the space for luggage (these're in service since 2010 as part of the Shanghai World Expo)

020150213153456.JPG

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=baoshan+Wusongkou+International+Cruise+terminal&hl=en&ll=31.403099,121.505527&spn=0.042856,0.084543&sll=44.004261,-62.918551&sspn=9.243121,21.643066&t=m&z=14

Above is the link to the map showing the cruise terminal.

I think the free shuttles were for ships staying overnight because there were shuttles for our ship and for another one. I would inquire about this with Celebrity.

Yes the earthquake was a shock though we did not feel it. We had to leave Japan early.

We took a high speed train from a huge provincial train station to Wuhan, another huge train station. Our company (ChinaFocus) had booked assigned first class tickets for us. Second class was crowded. I don't know if the seats were assigned in second class. Occasionally, one seat was empty in first class and a young woman sat there, then disappeared when the tickets were controlled and when the passenger came whose seat it was. She reappeared again and sat in another empty seat. Maybe she only had a standing ticket. At any given time there was only one empty seat for her.

The train stations were very crowded and chaotic with lots of pushing and shoving, not a single English sign. The entrance was blocked by a security gate with scanners. We each had a large suitcase and a carry-on. The suitcases had to be stored near the wagon entrance and there was not enough space for the 8 suitcases of our group of 8. The seat arrangement was as in a plane, so basically no space for a large suitcase.

It sure was an adventure, but in the future, I would do this only with a carry-on that fits in the overhead tray.

This may be totally different in Beijing and Shanghai where they have English signs. Passengers in the Shanghai subway were disciplined so you may not encounter the chaos of a huge hinterland train station.

By the way, the first class tickets were not expensive.

Thanks Floridiana. Looks like we will book first class seats. If there was insufficient space to store all of your luggage, where did you place the excess luggage?

Edited by YVRCanuck

Oops - High Speed Train and Hongqiao RailWay Station, respectively. On the question of traffic on the highways, they are wide & new, flat and well managed - in urbanized area, volume could be heavy but I'm guessing that you will be off-peak by the time you cleared the ship, go thru immigration & customs, get into the taxi lines and hire yours to the railway station. The ride itself is said to be 1 hour and I would add 30 minutes. Maybe someone who've recently cruised the itinerary can help you better with the arrival/docking/dry land/out of the restricted & into arrival/meet-n-greet area (2 - 3 hours would be my guess)

I know when we flew into PVG (Shanghai Int'l Airport via Hong Kong) - we're outside looking for our local tour guide/host to take us to our waiting hotel (near Hongqiao Railway Station, actually) in under 45 minutes (maybe 30 minutes) but others in the group on a different flight got delayed due to air traffic/weather, so we ended up sitting around for an extra hour+.

If the ship's scheduled arrival is 8 AM, I would book a HST - allowing some time for a lunch stop - after 2 PM or maybe 2:30 PM for the next 5 hour ride.

As others noted, the price for a First Class seat is similar to flying US/Canada Business Class, with more comfortable 2 x 2 seating; and, will definitely be better overall and more civilized.

This link via one of the many travel services has extensive info on train travel in China, it should be useful & helpful for you in planning - NOT an endorsement of their offering http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/transportation/choose-china-train-types-and-seat.htm

Accordingly, each adult railway passenger is limited to 20 kg or 44 lbs. of carry-on luggage (equal to a fully packed 24" lightweight suitcase) - in practice, enforcement is inconsistent and you should be able to take along a small personal bag, similar to flying domestic US airliners. With 4 adults & luggage, some of the smaller 4 door VW sedan will probably not fit even if they bungee cord the trunk open but you should be able to get a taxi van with the space for luggage (these're in service since 2010 as part of the Shanghai World Expo)

Thanks for the reply mking8288. Don't know if we should pre-book our train tickets due to the uncertainty of how long it will take us to get off the ship, go through customs and travel time to the HRW. Can you advise what would happen if we did pre-book and ended up not getting to the train station in time? Is the ticket refundable or would they just put us on the next train?

If our luggage size are 28" suitcases and over 44lbs, is there an additional charge?

Lastly, should we be concerned about luggage theft if we cannot place it in the overhead bin or placed next to your seat. If it has to be placed in a different area of the train, how far would that be from your seats?

Thanks again for all of your help.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=baoshan+Wusongkou+International+Cruise+terminal&hl=en&ll=31.403099,121.505527&spn=0.042856,0.084543&sll=44.004261,-62.918551&sspn=9.243121,21.643066&t=m&z=14

Above is the link to the map showing the cruise terminal.

I think the free shuttles were for ships staying overnight because there were shuttles for our ship and for another one. I would inquire about this with Celebrity.

Yes the earthquake was a shock though we did not feel it. We had to leave Japan early.

Thanks maryann. I thought that would be too good to be true about the shuttles, LOL.

Don't know if we should pre-book our train tickets due to the uncertainty ... to the HRW. Can you advise what would happen if we did pre-book and ended up not getting to the train station in time? Is the ticket refundable or would they just put us on the next train?

If our luggage size are 28" suitcases and over 44lbs, is there an additional charge? Lastly, should we be concerned about luggage theft if we cannot place it in the overhead bin or placed next to your seat. If it has to be placed in a different area of the train, how far would that be from your seats?

Understood, if you are taking the HST "G" & planning to book First Class seats, I think you can take your chances of not pre-booking ahead, as you might end up on an earlier train departure & get to Beijing South sooner to your hotel, etc. What's your ship's arrival date in PVG (Shanghai) port - as long it's not early October, the biggest national holiday, May 1st. or Chinese NY holiday (just passed) & it should be fine.

HRW is a key hub and has a window with English speaking staff to help book, as you will need to present your passport for names verification regardless of the method of booking. There is an official mobile APP for updated train schedule (and booking for CN citizens with ID's) but I'm doubtful you plan to use your smartphone roaming on a data plan while touring.

Once booked, there is a fee for refund but NOT for same day changes, i.e. you missed your train's departure & generally, they will exchange it for a later one on the same day at no charge - subject to seating availability & any fare difference as calculated.

On size of luggage, when we travel overseas, the max. size we've carried is a 25" expandable softside rollers, and we have to be careful to not overpack as it's easily over 22.5 kg/50 lbs. for international flights. Intra-China/Asia flights are generally 20 kg/44 lbs. or less for LCC (low cost carriers) Also, you might find it a physically challenged tasks to lift them up & down stairs as elevators are NOT everywhere, including train stations (HCW & PEK stations are supposed to be fine) - and, from what I've seen & read, 24" or 25" are fine but 28" won't fit and will be piled on top of each other at the end of each HST compartment (with limited storage, of course) Take a convertible duffle so keep some items close to you and in the overhead, and less worried about theft of items out of sight. Use a lock to secure it while traveling (or, take a half dozen plastic locking ties - use a nail clipper to break it on arrival)

Here tips & info here (check those 28 pix for ideas on luggage sizes carried) - http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/faq.htm

Thanks Floridiana. Looks like we will book first class seats. If there was insufficient space to store all of your luggage, where did you place the excess luggage?

I don't know. I never looked how the people dealt with it back there. Maybe the three men dealing with it piled high. You won't have 8 suitcases, will you?

I am pretty sure that the Shanghai train won't have the chaos of provincial train stations. The Shanghai subway was super modern, clean and had English signs. I would expect something similar for the train.

Understood, if you are taking the HST "G" & planning to book First Class seats, I think you can take your chances of not pre-booking ahead, as you might end up on an earlier train departure & get to Beijing South sooner to your hotel, etc. What's your ship's arrival date in PVG (Shanghai) port - as long it's not early October, the biggest national holiday, May 1st. or Chinese NY holiday (just passed) & it should be fine.

HRW is a key hub and has a window with English speaking staff to help book, as you will need to present your passport for names verification regardless of the method of booking. There is an official mobile APP for updated train schedule (and booking for CN citizens with ID's) but I'm doubtful you plan to use your smartphone roaming on a data plan while touring.

Once booked, there is a fee for refund but NOT for same day changes, i.e. you missed your train's departure & generally, they will exchange it for a later one on the same day at no charge - subject to seating availability & any fare difference as calculated.

On size of luggage, when we travel overseas, the max. size we've carried is a 25" expandable softside rollers, and we have to be careful to not overpack as it's easily over 22.5 kg/50 lbs. for international flights. Intra-China/Asia flights are generally 20 kg/44 lbs. or less for LCC (low cost carriers) Also, you might find it a physically challenged tasks to lift them up & down stairs as elevators are NOT everywhere, including train stations (HCW & PEK stations are supposed to be fine) - and, from what I've seen & read, 24" or 25" are fine but 28" won't fit and will be piled on top of each other at the end of each HST compartment (with limited storage, of course) Take a convertible duffle so keep some items close to you and in the overhead, and less worried about theft of items out of sight. Use a lock to secure it while traveling (or, take a half dozen plastic locking ties - use a nail clipper to break it on arrival)

Here tips & info here (check those 28 pix for ideas on luggage sizes carried) - http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/faq.htm

We will be getting off the Celebrity Millennium on Sep.27, 2015. I believe the ship docks at 7am. We had originally planned to stay in Shanghai for the first 4 nights, then travel to Beijing for 3 nights, then travel back to Shanghai, but because of the National Holiday, we didn't think it would be wise to travel on Oct. 1.

We will still have to take the train from Beijing to Shanghai on Sep. 30, so keeping our fingers crossed it won't be too bad. :eek:

We will have at least 2 large suitcases (28") and possibly a carry on bag. Do you think it is necessary to lock the 2 suitcases "together" to avoid any chance of theft of the luggage while it is being stored and out of sight?

I don't know. I never looked how the people dealt with it back there. Maybe the three men dealing with it piled high. You won't have 8 suitcases, will you?

I am pretty sure that the Shanghai train won't have the chaos of provincial train stations. The Shanghai subway was super modern, clean and had English signs. I would expect something similar for the train.

Thanks Floridiana. I sure hope we don't have 8 suitcases. But if shopping is as good as what people are saying, you never know, LOL.

We will be getting off the Celebrity Millennium on Sep.27, 2015 ... ship docks at 7am ... originally planned to stay ... for the first 4 then ... Beijing for 3 nights, then travel back to Shanghai, but because of the National Holiday, we didn't think it would be wise to travel on Oct. 1. We will still have to take the train from Beijing to Shanghai on Sep. 30 ...

We will have at least 2 large suitcases (28") and possibly a carry on bag. Do you think it is necessary to lock the 2 suitcases "together" to avoid any chance of theft of the luggage ...

Yikes on late Sept. travel - even HST will be crowded & fully booked. Folks preferred comfort over flying domestic so expect plenty of company with as much as 2 weeks of time-off and begin nationwide travel in advance of 10/1 and afterward, not just the day before or afterward. "Ordinary" slow trains and long distance sleeper buses will be packed worst than sardine fishes onboard, your train will be 500% more civilized as nobody will be standing for the ride at 250 to 280 km per hour.

To Beijing on the 27th. - you are fine doing a walk-up and get tickets for the next available "G" train departure - my best guess is 1 or 2 pm assuming that disembarkation is smooth. Border control (CN immigration & customs at Shanghai is very efficient, professional & friendly no-nonsense, unlike our own CBP and those TSA clowns) and a city of 25 million residents know how to deal with traffic, if this is your first visit - you will be impressed.

** While you are at Hongqiao's Ticket Window for English-speaking visitors, buying your train tickets, it would be perfect and important to buy your return ticket to Shanghai. The exodus out of Beijing will be far smoother on the 30th. with your BP/tickets in hand.

As for locking up your suitcases together on the train, I don't think it's necessary - just use a padlock or plastic ties to secure it as most of the HST only make 5 to 7 or 8 quick stops on the route, as long as you keep the most valuable items with you as carryon items in the overhead bin above you or in front, space permitting. Train crew/conductors will not be stopping you to check for over-sized or over-weight as long as you can manage it on your own, especially First & Business class passengers paying the premium fares. Definitely bring a personal item/bag for day use, even if it's a sturdy canvas/folding tote.

Traveling within China, it's far better & easier to use local currency, RMB and depending on your travel plans, you might want to get some ahead of time - i.e. YVR is easy, surely you know that over in Richmond (and, in downtown) you can get RMB exchanged at very good & competitive rates at the bank and licensed exchange. We visit YVR every so often & use the one inside the Mall & another one further south away from the airport - as you will need to pay for the taxi, train tickets & tipping, lunch & snacks, etc.

Edited by mking8288

Yikes on late Sept. travel - even HST will be crowded & fully booked. Folks preferred comfort over flying domestic so expect plenty of company with as much as 2 weeks of time-off and begin nationwide travel in advance of 10/1 and afterward, not just the day before or afterward. "Ordinary" slow trains and long distance sleeper buses will be packed worst than sardine fishes onboard, your train will be 500% more civilized as nobody will be standing for the ride at 250 to 280 km per hour.

To Beijing on the 27th. - you are fine doing a walk-up and get tickets for the next available "G" train departure - my best guess is 1 or 2 pm assuming that disembarkation is smooth. Border control (CN immigration & customs at Shanghai is very efficient, professional & friendly no-nonsense, unlike our own CBP and those TSA clowns) and a city of 25 million residents know how to deal with traffic, if this is your first visit - you will be impressed.

** While you are at Hongqiao's Ticket Window for English-speaking visitors, buying your train tickets, it would be perfect and important to buy your return ticket to Shanghai. The exodus out of Beijing will be far smoother on the 30th. with your BP/tickets in hand.

As for locking up your suitcases together on the train, I don't think it's necessary - just use a padlock or plastic ties to secure it as most of the HST only make 5 to 7 or 8 quick stops on the route, as long as you keep the most valuable items with you as carryon items in the overhead bin above you or in front, space permitting. Train crew/conductors will not be stopping you to check for over-sized or over-weight as long as you can manage it on your own, especially First & Business class passengers paying the premium fares. Definitely bring a personal item/bag for day use, even if it's a sturdy canvas/folding tote.

Traveling within China, it's far better & easier to use local currency, RMB and depending on your travel plans, you might want to get some ahead of time - i.e. YVR is easy, surely you know that over in Richmond (and, in downtown) you can get RMB exchanged at very good & competitive rates at the bank and licensed exchange. We visit YVR every so often & use the one inside the Mall & another one further south away from the airport - as you will need to pay for the taxi, train tickets & tipping, lunch & snacks, etc.

Thank you mking8288, you have been extremely helpful. Yes this is our first trip to Asia and and we can't wait to get there to see the sights and taste the food!

Just curious, because you are so knowledgeable about Shanghai, did you once live or work there?

Speaking of food, any recommendations as to where to go for street food? Do you consider the street food safe for us westerners? LOL. Good and reasonably priced restaurants?

Never worked in PVG, stayed there as tourist & being FT, getting to know & learn and it helps with our "connections" abroad for travel. Very impressed with the city's modernization and transport, it's not perfect - if only America's interstate highways are alike ...

SDC10003%20%28800x600%29.jpg

This is my other forum - very useful & helpful info, and friendly experts - it's CC's counterpart. Search for details you might need, FAQ's are excellent and feel free to post a questions after you get the basics sorted out (i.e. Uber and taxi, for example)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1117170-shanghai-ground-transportation-data-thread.html

For our stomach, I would advise AGAINST ordinary street food (as I'm sure you've heard & read about it from time-to-time in the news) and it doesn't look right, keep walking & pay a little more for food "inside" at a sit-down place. Not worth the risk when you are on vacation to be smacked with food poisoning or GI viruses (ate at an upscale HKG hotel lunch buffet years ago, guest of local host - and sick as a dog for a week, manage to make it onto my flight home) Bring/buy your own paper napkins ahead of time as tourists in China along with hand sanitizers as water isn't everywhere for hand wash. As for dining recommendations - use TripAdvisor as your guide & check with the folks on FT linked above - there's regular Q&A and discussion on some of the best kept secrets for travelers.

i.e. If you need mobile data use while in CN, details & info - look there & also in the Technology sub-forum.