Dutch side

cruisin56

Hi

Can anyone tell me my options from getting to and from the cruise port Phillipsburg to the Dutch side beaches, mainly Orient Bay. Are taxies more reliable than buses? What are the rates, taxies, buses. Also about how far is Orient Bay or other Dutch beaches to the cruise port.

Finally we also woould like to find a very calm beach with out any strong tides or waves as DH takes a long swim for an hour and need calm seas.

Thank in advance for any info

Hi

Can anyone tell me my options from getting to and from the cruise port Phillipsburg to the Dutch side beaches, mainly Orient Bay. Are taxies more reliable than buses? What are the rates, taxies, buses. Also about how far is Orient Bay or other Dutch beaches to the cruise port.

Finally we also woould like to find a very calm beach with out any strong tides or waves as DH takes a long swim for an hour and need calm seas.

Orient Bay is on French side and you'd need a taxi or shuttle to get there. ;)

Hi

Sorry I meant to ask about getting to the French side from the cruise port!

Orient Beach: Clothing optional paradise

on the "Riviera" of French St. Martin

Orient Beach is the most developed, the most popular and the busiest beach on the island, probably the most famous beach in the entire Caribbean. The beach is reputed as much for its natural beauty and setting as it is for being the island´s foremost swimsuit optional beach.

A major attraction of Orient Bay is of course the nude beach and the world´s famous Club Orient, the island´s only naturist resort at the southern end of the beach.

Clothing is optional in front of the Club, and it is publicly accessible. The other parts of the beach has more clothing, but in fact you may encounter nude sunbathers anywhere.

Orient Bay is the only beach on St. Martin with a large number of beach bars and restaurants directly located on the beach.

Water sport facilities are available, such as jet skis, sailing boats, paragliding, and some kid's activities.

Orient Beach: Clothing optional paradise

on the "Riviera" of French St. Martin

Orient Beach is the most developed, the most popular and the busiest beach on the island, probably the most famous beach in the entire Caribbean. The beach is reputed as much for its natural beauty and setting as it is for being the island´s foremost swimsuit optional beach.

A major attraction of Orient Bay is of course the nude beach and the world´s famous Club Orient, the island´s only naturist resort at the southern end of the beach.

Clothing is optional in front of the Club, and it is publicly accessible. The other parts of the beach has more clothing, but in fact you may encounter nude sunbathers anywhere.

Orient Bay is the only beach on St. Martin with a large number of beach bars and restaurants directly located on the beach.

Water sport facilities are available, such as jet skis, sailing boats, paragliding, and some kid's activities.

"The beach is reputed as much for its natural beauty and setting as it is for being the island's foremost swimsuit optional beach."

Do even the Orient lovers amongst us believe this to be true?

I also question if Orient is still the most famous beach on the island never mind the entire Caribbean. Seems to me like Maho may have surpassed it in this category.

I disagree with some of the description - for example, I do not think a cruiser going to Orient has any appreciable risk of seeing a nude person except to the South of Pedros - basically, the Club O beach. Easily avoided, if you want to avoid it.

I think Orient Beach is a beautiful beach - certainly, as a "beach," Maho simply does not compare. Maho is for the planes. There are other beautiful beaches - Happy Bay, Baie Rouge, Plum Bay, Cupecoy, etc. It all is very subjective and also dependent day-to-day on the weather, sea conditions, and that annoying sargassum.

I think Orient is a must-see and easy-to-see for any cruiser who has never been to Orient before and loves beaches generally. I particularly suggest to adults traveling without kids or grandma, who have not seen it, to go to Orient, go to Club O, and see what you think. Whatever one thinks of it, Club O is a unique place and worth seeing - even if it is not something you would do again.

Famous and beautiful are not the same. Years ago the "nude" beach WAS more famous than the "airplane" beach but I personally don't feel that's true anymore.

Another thing that the "article?" Says is that Orient is the only beach on the island with a large number of beach bars and restaurants on it. Grand Case beach and Great Bay beach also have many beach bars and restaurants.

I wonder if this post was taken from a recent publication or one written years ago. It doesn't strike me as a cc members original post the way that it's written but perhaps I am wrong on this.

Edited by Karysa

In past cruise always done Orient Beach tour with the ship, includes lunch and chair umbrella rental is optional.

Never seen naked people in the reserved area for cruise shore excursions.

The sea is sometimes a bit strong but nothing to be afraid of, more to have fun.

karysa and snorkle..

This was a cut and paste from a website about the island that apparently gets a lot of traffic. It is a portal for advertising and not much more.

Sint Maarten *** operated by DreamBeaches Inc., Anguilla, provides information on travel related issues, such as lodging, attractions, what-to-do, restaurants, car rentals, weather and many more subject of interest. We feature reservations for villas and condos on St. Maarten/St Martin in cooperation with partners and owners through rental websites such as

Sint Maarten *** represents an outstanding advertising platforma for reaching many island visitors. More than 700,000 visitors surf to Sint-Maarten.*** annually and another 300,000 to our other island related websites. Think about advertising!

Our core business is to providee Internet platforms for Villa and Condo owners.

It is filled with many little factoids that are in error. And apparently they don't care. Just cruise the site and you'll see, as experienced visitors, or choose not to give them the traffic.

For example, Orient is not 2 miles long, it is 1.3 miles, as a quick look at Google Earth will point out for anyone interested. Plus, I have walked Orient 'rocks-to-rocks' from the Orient Watersports to Mont Vernon with a GPS, and it confirms the distance.

There are very few tourist popular places on the island that will tolerate nudity. It is illegal anywhere on Orient other that on the Club Orient property or adjacent. You are as likely to encounter nude people 'anywhere on the beach' as on the New York Subway. Some will be there somewhere, at some point, but ...

Maho is a big draw for cruisers, probably THE draw, but for stay-over, it's more likely one visit per trip. Many of the rest of the days will be spent on Orient.

gary