As Jonathan's post, yes you can.

But depending where your ship is berthed it can be a very long walk.

I don't know the range on mobility scooters, & that might be a problem.

There will be taxis & ho-ho-buses, and part-way along little retro buses (like Yellowstone or GTTS Road buses) though the scooter will be a problem with them.

JB :)

Yes you can. Funchal has berths on the sea wall which is a long way from the town, but it also has landside berths which are almost in the town centre.

Which you get very much depends on the cruise line and how busy the port is. Most ships are berthed on the sea wall.

There is a webcam at Funchal to give you an idea of where ships berth, although at this time of year there aren't many cruise ships calling.

Last time ever were there I was mobile and we were encouraged to take the shuttle. I assume we were docked at the seawall. We have already done the 'gardens and toboggan run 'etc so do not intend to walk right into town again, so is a walk through the dock to the marina area feasible?

He Seawolves

• 1 month later...

Hi Happytravelleruk I was looking on google maps yesterday & saw there was a very nice park very near the port entrance. By the looks of it too there a some shops not too far away. Maybe just enough to see there. have a good time, when do you go :-)

Parque de Santa Catarina

we are going in the middle of october, if you go to the gardens you will have to let me know what you thought of them. I'm also looking to the ones at the top of the cable car, but planning on going via the local bus. I believe it doesnt take too long. But my friend is not into cable cars or basket rides down. They were both good fun last time we was there.

Thankfully I'm not in my wheelchair now, since my double lung transplant, but its hard work getting round with a chair sometimes in these ports with narrow & uneven & very crowded paths in these ports, but somehow we make it lol & dont let it hold us back. x