Not happy with new Nonrefunable deposit rule

Gatormomma

we always have reservations a year in advance so we get the cabin we want. Now, I'm told there are 2 prices...one with refundable deposit which is much higher amount...and lower amount with NONrefunable $100 per person deposit!!

Bad enough they are nickel and diming me on the ship, now they are stealing my deposit! I am almost elite, and this has really got me mad.

we always have reservations a year in advance so we get the cabin we want. Now, I'm told there are 2 prices...one with refundable deposit which is much higher amount...and lower amount with NONrefunable $100 per person deposit!!

Bad enough they are nickel and diming me on the ship, now they are stealing my deposit! I am almost elite, and this has really got me mad.

Book refundable and switch to the lower NRD when you are ready. It's only 'stealing' if you are unwilling to be flexible.

The SNAP promo ends in four days. Be patient.

Book refundable and switch to the lower NRD when you are ready. It's only 'stealing' if you are unwilling to be flexible.

Princess is offering you 2 different deals. I don't see it as stealing at all on behalf of Princess. We don't bother with the deposit part of it. We pay half up front and have the rest paid off within 2 months. There's some policies I may not like, but that's with a lot of businesses, no just Princess.

Stealing your deposit? Nickel and diming onboard?

Don't you have to pay for the cruise eventually anyway?

If you are that mad maybe it's time to find another cruise line. :rolleyes:

Exactly, I shouldn't have wasted my time with my comment above, but that's what I get when answering the OP head on. :halo:

Non-refundable deposits are nothing new when booking with a sales promotion.

Although I've recently read that the deposit terms of the promotion now apply even when using a FCD which would be lost with a non-refundable deposit sale. I think this is a new change in policy although I rarely book a cruise with a non-refundable deposit so don't have many experiences with them.

I did recently book a cruise with a non-refundable $1 deposit so I'm risking that deposit. ;)

I was just looking at the Carnival website, thinking I might book a cruise with them after reading a very positive review by a Princess cruiser.

The deposit rules stopped me cold. Deposits are non-refundable...period. If you cancel BEFORE final payment, they give you a Future Cruise Credit which has to be used within one year plus there's a $50 service fee IIRC. What??:mad:

We change our minds all the time. No way, José.

The ones I looked at were not on a sale.

Don't flame me. Princess is doing the right thing. So many rooms are booked on the onboard credits and many have told us they book 5 or more cruises and then decide at the end the best deal. So sad. You should only be able to book 1 cruise for the time of the cruise imo what about us who want to book and cant. Not fair

In the UK as far as I am aware, and certainly it has been my experience, deposits have always been non refundable. Only able to claim back if cancelling due to illness etc via travel insurance claim.

In the UK as far as I am aware, and certainly it has been my experience, deposits have always been non refundable. Only able to claim back if cancelling due to illness etc via travel insurance claim.

This is standard practice in the UK and typically if there is a reduced deposit deal available the small print usually says if you cancel your booking on a reduced price deposit you need to pay the "missing" part of the deposit to make your loss up to the full amount.

Regards John

Don't flame me. Princess is doing the right thing. So many rooms are booked on the onboard credits and many have told us they book 5 or more cruises and then decide at the end the best deal. So sad. You should only be able to book 1 cruise for the time of the cruise imo what about us who want to book and cant. Not fair

Why on earth would one "flame" you for an astute observation? I have seen (read) the same things as yourselves. Does it seem that the gamers of the system are the first to complain?

We have traveled a bit. And once, just once in 48 years has it been necessary to cancel a trip. In as much as diagnosis and treatment for cancer was involved, the loss of a deposit was the least of our concerns. But then, we book vacations for which we plan go upon.

I agree, no flames from me. Am I happy with the non refundable deposit....no.

But you are right. There are so many cabins tied up because of this. :rolleyes:

Royal Caribbean is doing the same thing, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Non-refundable deposits are nothing new when booking with a sales promotion.

Although I've recently read that the deposit terms of the promotion now apply even when using a FCD which would be lost with a non-refundable deposit sale. I think this is a new change in policy although I rarely book a cruise with a non-refundable deposit so don't have many experiences with them.

I did recently book a cruise with a non-refundable $1 deposit so I'm risking that deposit. ;)

I believe the FCD forfeiture policy for non refundable deposits has been in effect for some time as our TA discussed this with a potential booking several years ago.

We booked three cruises with the $1 deposit promo so we have $6 at risk. We fully planned to take all three cruises but DS announced he is getting married one week before the second cruise so we might need to cancel that one [emoji848]

I believe the FCD forfeiture policy for non refundable deposits has been in effect for some time as our TA discussed this with a potential booking several years ago.

We booked three cruises with the $1 deposit promo so we have $6 at risk. We fully planned to take all three cruises but DS announced he is getting married one week before the second cruise so we might need to cancel that one [emoji848]

Thanks Brian...we've never had that situation because we rarely book with a non-refundable deposit & appreciate the clarification.

I'm missing your point. You book in advance to nail down the specific cabin you want, then object to the fact that you have to commit a mere $100 ? While I understand that life can bring unexpected surprises, it appears that you are actually getting value for the deposit. If nothing else, think of it as an insurance policy, which most of us pay for, that makes sure you will have that special cabin. And if you are healthy enough to go on the cruise, then no harm done.

I could think of some cabins like suites or mini-suites with covered balconies that are worth doing this for. And as someone else said - if you cancel you get OBC for the next cruise.

I need to cancel a cruise I have booked for next April. Today I faxed my TA the cancellation form and they emailed me back that $200 of the deposit was non-refundable. I booked the cruise back in May 2016 and it was NOT a non-refundable deposit.

After almost an hour on the phone with them (mostly on hold) they told me that when my reservation was re-priced in May 2017 for a price drop (which I initiated by calling them), it was turned into a non-refundable deposit at that point. They got that information by calling Princess today while I was on hold.

But I was never told that during the call to process the price drop and there was no mention of it in the updated invoice they sent me that day. At the end of today's call they referred it to a supervisor who would investigate it by "pulling the call" and get back to me in a day or two. I guess they are trying to see if I was told this information or not.

But I really think I would have remembered that if they told me and more importantly, doesn't that need to be in writing to me? Do you think I have any recourse since the updated reservation invoice they sent me makes no mention of $200 being non-refundable?

I need to cancel a cruise I have booked for next April. Today I faxed my TA the cancellation form and they emailed me back that $200 of the deposit was non-refundable. I booked the cruise back in May 2016 and it was NOT a non-refundable deposit.

After almost an hour on the phone with them (mostly on hold) they told me that when my reservation was re-priced in May 2017 for a price drop (which I initiated by calling them), it was turned into a non-refundable deposit at that point. They got that information by calling Princess today while I was on hold.

But I was never told that during the call to process the price drop and there was no mention of it in the updated invoice they sent me that day. At the end of today's call they referred it to a supervisor who would investigate it by "pulling the call" and get back to me in a day or two. I guess they are trying to see if I was told this information or not.

But I really think I would have remembered that if they told me and more importantly, doesn't that need to be in writing to me? Do you think I have any recourse since the updated reservation invoice they sent me makes no mention of $200 being non-refundable?

Whatever happens, I would never again use any TA who fails to tell me that a lower price would result in a non-refundable deposit so I can decide which to do although that's nothing I'd say to them until receiving my refund.

If they were wrong, hopefully their investigation results in admitting their mistake & they'll refund your deposit. My TA forwards me the Princess confirmation which clearly states when the deposit is non-refundable. With your invoice showing it was not a NR deposit they should be willing to refund your deposit due to their mistake.

If your TA neglected to inform you that the lower price had a NR deposit that's wrong but there's probably not much you could do if they refuse to refund your deposit even though they failed to inform you about it. I guess it's a matter of how much time you want to dedicate attempting to get them to refund your deposit & unfortunately they might stall until you stop inquiring & go away. :(

Not with Princess, but I've had promises made to me on the phone that were later not honored. They had to refer it to a supervisor and then go back to the recorded call to see what was actually said. In both these cases, it was proven that I wasn't making up a story to get one over on them ... just received what was actually stated at the time of the booking. It usually does take a couple of days. Let us know how it works out for you. That would be very disappointing if they took your deposit.

I am not taking sides on this whole issue, though, because I have also booked cruises early and then had to cancel them for one reason or another. I have gotten into the habit of only booking cruises that are way out in the future where the deposit is refundable ... we never know what is going to happen 2 years down the road. Sometimes, the deposit is hundreds of dollars, too ... add that to some agencies that also charge a cancellation fee, and you can be up to losing out on $1000 in no time. I am sure Princess is trying this out to better understand what pricing structure they will need to use as the cruise draws nearer. But, I see both sides of the issue ... but only if they made it clear that the deposit is non-refundable ... no tricking allowed!!

I was just looking at an incredible deal on a cruise for January but not sure yet if I'll be able to go so haven't snagged it as of yet as the deposit is non-refundable.

I am most happy when I find a screaming deal on a last minute cruise ... when your deposit and final payment are both due on the same day.....now that's the best of both worlds.

I don't think so.

The policy of non-refundable deposits is repugnant and I understand the OP's objection. We usually book well in advance for a better cabin selection and price. We don't book multiple cabins or multiple cruises. We do however like the freedom to change our mind and book a different cruise or book with a different cruise line. Yes, we look for lower prices, doesn't everyone? If we see a better deal, we go for it. If we have to change our plans for whatever reason, we want to do so without penalty. We understand that after final payment date, there are penalties. That's understood and reasonable.

It's a money grab, plain and simple. It started with no refunds for a price drop after final payment date. Then we were even denied on-board-credit after price drops.

When cancellation fees (which are essentially the same as a non-refundable deposit) were instituted by many travel agencies, I recall the hue and cry on these boards and the many recommendations to find other travel agencies who did not penalize you for changing your mind. Now the cruise lines are mimicking those punitive policies and doing as the airlines do with their two-tier pricing and it is not a good thing for the consumer. Soon they will be upping the future cruise deposits to $200 or even higher to put even more of our hard-earned money at risk or making the final payment date 6 months prior to sailing.

Smart shoppers beware! They're on to your nefarious schemes.:rolleyes:

Harry