Dengue Fever

WetToes

Just thought I'd share something that happened today.

My DH and I are regular blood donors to the American Red Cross.

Today was the first time we received a 'Dengue Fever Post-Donation Information Sheet'.

It specifically mentions Puerto Rico.

Just thought I'd share something that happened today.

My DH and I are regular blood donors to the American Red Cross.

Today was the first time we received a 'Dengue Fever Post-Donation Information Sheet'.

It specifically mentions Puerto Rico.

My son just gave blood last week. He didn't get a pamphlet. But we live in California so maybe we are too far.

As a regular blood donor there is certain ports of call .. If I got ashore I am black listed for a year from donating and considering I donate every 56 days that would be a lot of people not getting blood.

I do my research a know which ports I can not go to.. IE Haiti, Honduras, La Romana and parts of Cozumel to name a few..

My suggestion is check with your local blood donor clinic for an up to date list of at risk places that are not safe to go ashore..Most of them are concerned about Dengue Fever and Malaria..

Thank you for donating the gift of life to so many that need the blood.

Cheers

My suggestion is check with your local blood donor clinic for an up to date list of at risk places that are not safe to go ashore..Most of them are concerned about Dengue Fever and Malaria..

Cheers

They always give a list of places and ask if we have been to those.

I don't ever recall seeing Haiti, or Cozumel on the list.

Thanks! The least we can do.

As a regular blood donor there is certain ports of call .. If I got ashore I am black listed for a year from donating and considering I donate every 56 days that would be a lot of people not getting blood.

I do my research a know which ports I can not go to.. IE Haiti, Honduras, La Romana and parts of Cozumel to name a few..

Cheers

I think Honduras is on this ARC list. Carnival calls in Roatan, Honduras.

There is also a new current travel advisory to St. Martin too for a mosquito-borne illness.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5658

I have had Dengue twice, the second time nearly killed me!

I didnt even know I had it the first time but it showed up in the blood tests for the second.

I am O rh neg and gave Blood quite frequently but now in Australia i cannot give blood:( I can give plasma but it takes a lot longer and i just dont have time.

Dengue mosquito's bite during the daylight hours so anyone visiting Dengue risk areas should wear a personal repellent with a high % of Deet. ;) but not good for small children.

There are 3 strains of dengue and one is a potential killer:eek: you can get the strains in any order so could get the worst one first.

I can no longer go to Dengue risk areas during wet season.

According to the CDC's latest "Mortality and Morbidity Weekly Report" (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6250md.htm?s_cid=mm6250md_w), so far in 2013, New York City and California have had more provisional cases of dengue fever (at 99 and 68 cases respectively) than Florida (61). In 2012, looks like Florida had a spike of 132 cases.

Meanwhile, Puerto Rico has had over 7,000 cases in 2013.

According to the CDC's latest "Mortality and Morbidity Weekly Report" (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6250md.htm?s_cid=mm6250md_w), so far in 2013, New York City and California have had more provisional cases of dengue fever (at 99 and 68 cases respectively) than Florida (61). In 2012, looks like Florida had a spike of 132 cases.

Meanwhile, Puerto Rico has had over 7,000 cases in 2013.

I had read that PR had 5000 reported cases in 2012. So on top of that amount there has been another 7000 reported cases this year. That is troubling indeed.

I had read that PR had 5000 reported cases in 2012. So on top of that amount there has been another 7000 reported cases this year. That is troubling indeed.

Yes it is! A Dengue mosquito does not carry Dengue unless it first bites a person or animal who already has Dengue and then passes it on to the next person they bite.

Dengue Fever is seasonal (now is the season!). My husband got it while at Martinique for a 2 week long stay during January about 30 years ago. He was so ill he was afraid that he would not be allowed back in the USA when his plane landed in Miami.

It is nasty!