Staten Island Bridge

ssimon

Just booked a cruise from Port Liberty on March 5 and made hotel reservations at Hilton Garden on Staten Island. It included parking for length of cruise and transportation to and from cruise port. Are we going to have trouble with the bridge closure? I asked and she told me that there was periodic closures, how does that affect the transportation? Thanks. Ellen

Just booked a cruise from Port Liberty on March 5 and made hotel reservations at Hilton Garden on Staten Island. It included parking for length of cruise and transportation to and from cruise port. Are we going to have trouble with the bridge closure? I asked and she told me that there was periodic closures, how does that affect the transportation? Thanks. Ellen

The closure schedule is listed here - http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-bayonne-bridge.html

This weekend it is open at 8 am Sunday, but that's not always the case and I haven't found a future schedule that would allow you to really plan ahead.

If you're coming from central NY, why are you staying on Staten Island a risking the Bayonne Bridge closure plus paying a $15 toll to do that? Did you look at Trinityreservations.com for a park/sleep/cruise at the Ramada at EWR for $207 tax included? This includes room, up to 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation.

When the bridge is closed, the port transportation has to take I278 west to the Goethals Bridge and the NJ turnpike from exit 13 to exit 14A and possibly repeat the process on the return trip. If you lived to the south, this might be acceptable, but you live to the north and could be retracing your steps several times.

Hi Carol, I just called the Ramada EWR and got a rate of 161.51....that rate is suppose to be the stay cruise with transportation. I called again since my reservation does not say stay cruise but was assured it was. Not sure I trust it. If I need to get own transportation to the port do you know how much it will be? I appreciate the advice to change from Staten Island....Ellen

Hi Carol, I just called the Ramada EWR and got a rate of 161.51....that rate is suppose to be the stay cruise with transportation. I called again since my reservation does not say stay cruise but was assured it was. Not sure I trust it. If I need to get own transportation to the port do you know how much it will be? I appreciate the advice to change from Staten Island....Ellen

Honestly I don't trust it. I checked the Ramada web site and for $169.99 I'm seeing this:

Additional Rate Details

Rate Details

Park Before You Fly 14 Self Parking Available In Hotel Parking Lot

Reservation Policies

Cancel before 6PM day of arrival to avoid a 1 night charge plus applicable tax.

A deposit is not required for guarantee of your reservation.

The Ramada itself has never been known to offer Cape Liberty transportation. It's only been offered through Trinityreservations.com I think you need to call back and talk to a manager. Trinity is prepay, but they are a faith based reputable company. I have used them in the past and have been recommending them for 6 years without any negative feedback.

I called direct to hotel and they transferred my call to reservations. I'm still not sure so later this evening I'm going to call the hotel direct again and ask very specific questions. The reservation people both times confirmed that the parking and transportation were included..

SSimon-where do you live in central NY? We live near Ithaca and used to stay on Staten Island the night before our cruise. Now we book with Yankee Trails on their cruise express. We drive to Albany and leave our car at their business and take their bus right to the cruise port. $90 a person and depending on where you live and if you hate driving in cities( I do) this could be an option? Just putting it out there as a possible other option.

Laura

I called direct to hotel and they transferred my call to reservations. I'm still not sure so later this evening I'm going to call the hotel direct again and ask very specific questions. The reservation people both times confirmed that the parking and transportation were included..

All the EWR hotels provide shuttle transportation to and from the P4 Airtrain station (EWR) for their guests. However only 3 hotels offer packages that include shuttle service to Cape Liberty on sail days. As far as I'm aware, the Ramada is NOT one of the hotels that offers such a package. Trinityreservations.com offers the park/sleep/cruise package with the Ramada as the hotel piece of that package. At times they have had a similar offer for Springhill Suites. My understanding is that they buy blocks of rooms with parking at a deep discount from the hotel and market them as a package along with a shuttle to Cape Liberty. I think some folks have said that the actual shuttle vehicle may be owned by the Ramada, but I'm unclear on that. Anyway Trinity manages the whole operation and the Ramada doesn't have to bother with it.

Laurab23.... we live north of Syracuse and hate driving in cities! Tomorrow morning I will be call and checking on the bus from Albany to Bayonne.Thank you!

Carol, I am on the phone right now cancelling the reservation. The hotel says I have just a room and connected me to 1-800 number and they say I have park and cruise! I cancelled reservation and will book through Trinity Reservations if we decide to stay down there. Thank you for pushing me to check reservation before I got there and didn't get what I thought I had!

Edited by ssimon

I'm so glad you were persistent and Called again. $169 was just too cheap for a room and 14 days parking and round trip port transportation for 2.

I've actually been to the Hilton Garden and Hampton Inn on Staten Island to take a look at them. They are in a lovely treed corporate park and are definitely an option coming from the south, but I'm not recommending them again until the Bayonne Bridge construction is complete. It's just not worth the risk of paying to go to Staten Island only to have to go the long way around to get back to Cape Liberty.

SSimon-where do you live in central NY? We live near Ithaca and used to stay on Staten Island the night before our cruise. Now we book with Yankee Trails on their cruise express. We drive to Albany and leave our car at their business and take their bus right to the cruise port. $90 a person and depending on where you live and if you hate driving in cities( I do) this could be an option? Just putting it out there as a possible other option.

Laura

Laura, do you drive down the day of and catch the bus, or do you stay the night before? If you stay where do you stay? The bus people are connected with a Comfort Inn but not sure I want that one, the reviews are really not that great.

Thanks. Ellen

Laura, do you drive down the day of and catch the bus, or do you stay the night before? If you stay where do you stay? The bus people are connected with a Comfort Inn but not sure I want that one, the reviews are really not that great.

Thanks. Ellen

It is a 3 1/2 hour drive from our house and driving alone so early in the morning doesn't work for me, I drive down the night before. I have been staying at the Fairfield in East Greenbush.It is easy to find and there is a Cracker Barrel right next door. Yankee Trails is about 8 minutes away. Any more questions.ask away. I find Yankee Trails is a pretty stress free way to travel. Not as nice as getting off the ship really early and heading for your car but I like that I don't have to worry about driving in alot of traffic.

Laura

We have reservations at the Holiday Inn Express. It is about 1.5 miles from the bus. You are right about getting off the ship and heading right home, but the stress free drive is a better way to end a vacation. Thank you for your great information and help...Ellen

We have reservations at the Holiday Inn Express. It is about 1.5 miles from the bus. You are right about getting off the ship and heading right home, but the stress free drive is a better way to end a vacation. Thank you for your great information and help...Ellen

So glad I could help you out. I know where that hotel is,I drive by it to get to Yankee Trails. Please post back and let me know how everything went. I hope you enjoy the whole bus experience as much as I do. So stress free.

Laura

• 2 months later...

Just got home from our wonderful cruise on Anthem of the Seas. We spent the night at Holiday Inn ExpressEast Greenbush (Albany Skyline). Hotel was clean and reasonably priced. It shares a parking lot with a sports bar and grill which serves good pub food. Not far from Yankee Trails World Travel where we parked the car and boarded the bus to Bayonne cruise port for $45 each way per person. We left at 7 am and arrived at 10:15 with a 15 minute break on the thruway.This morning he was at the port dropping of this weeks cruisers and we were on the way at 10:00am. We will definately use them again and will recommend them to anyone if you don't want to drive!

Just got home from our wonderful cruise on Anthem of the Seas. We spent the night at Holiday Inn ExpressEast Greenbush (Albany Skyline). Hotel was clean and reasonably priced. It shares a parking lot with a sports bar and grill which serves good pub food. Not far from Yankee Trails World Travel where we parked the car and boarded the bus to Bayonne cruise port for $45 each way per person. We left at 7 am and arrived at 10:15 with a 15 minute break on the thruway.This morning he was at the port dropping of this weeks cruisers and we were on the way at 10:00am. We will definately use them again and will recommend them to anyone if you don't want to drive!

I'm so glad to hear Yankee Trails worked out well for you. I think it is such a great option.

Laura