Airfare prices - book or keep searching?

TEGL

I'm not sure what is good and what is not when it comes to airfare prices so I am trying to get an idea if I should hold out longer and wait for sale or if this is about as low as I will find and just pull the trigger and book. We will be flying from San Diego to Houston and I found RT tickets for 3 passengers for a total of $774. Is that good? The flight isn't for another 5 months (11/4 and 11/13 to be exact) so we have some time but I also don't want to miss out on a good sale.

Both ways are direct and good times. Landing the night before the cruise at 5pm and leaving the day after we get back to port at 830am

I can't speak to that market, but let's do some thinking about the whole subject of "sales" for air travel.

Most of the folks who are concerned about "sales" and buying a ticket are thinking that they might miss out on a "sale" if they purchase a ticket now. But there are some important considerations:

1. There may not be a "sale" between now and when you are travelling
  2. One has to be aware of the "sale" to take advantage of it
  3. The "sale" must include flights between the city-pair you are interested in
  4. The "sale" must include flights on the dates that you are interested in
  5. The "sale" must have enough inventory for you to take advantage of it

Further, there enters a risk-reward factor. While waiting for "the sale", prices may go up, and go up a significant amount. If you would only save $25 to $50 per ticket, is it worth risking a price increase of equal or greater amounts in an unsatisfactory direction?

The best way for purchasing air travel is to start researching pricing as soon as you are aware that you might be flying a route. Get to know what the "traditional" pricing is for that route and for the day of the week you are interested in. Consider whether you are flying at a time of high demand - Econ 101 says pricing will rise. Evaluate your options and make the decision that fits your budgeting and risk tolerance.

something else to remember: the price of the airfare is only part of the equation. Do you have to pay for carryons, checked bags, selecting a seat, printing a paper ticket, preferred boarding...

Each airline will hit you up for something - be sure the airfare + "add ons" are included in your decision for the cheapest rate.

I'm not sure what is good and what is not when it comes to airfare prices so I am trying to get an idea if I should hold out longer and wait for sale or if this is about as low as I will find and just pull the trigger and book. We will be flying from San Diego to Houston and I found RT tickets for 3 passengers for a total of $774. Is that good? The flight isn't for another 5 months (11/4 and 11/13 to be exact) so we have some time but I also don't want to miss out on a good sale.

Both ways are direct and good times. Landing the night before the cruise at 5pm and leaving the day after we get back to port at 830am

From what airline did you get that price, if I may ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are at least a couple of more items that you can consider. First, if airfares do go down because of a sale, what can you do? For example, if it is Southwest Airlines, you can make a no-cost change and get a credit for the fare difference. This is the most generous in the industry. To see what to do for other airlines, check out http://www.farecompare.com/travel-advice/how-to-get-your-money-back-when-airfare-drops-2/#/

The second thing that you can do is to explore what changes or variability exists in prior fares in your market. Sometimes fares exhibit little variation so it makes little sense to wait. In other markets, fares change frequently and so it pays to wait until you hit a low point. To see variations in your market, go to http://www.faredetective.com/farehistory/flights-from-Houston-HOU-to-San_Diego-SAN.html

P.S. Just saw this related post on Trip Advisor. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k10549119-Southwest-Air_Travel.html

Edited by parody
addition

I'm not sure what is good and what is not when it comes to airfare prices so I am trying to get an idea if I should hold out longer and wait for sale

So it sounds like you are willing and able to pay the $774, but would prefer to pay less. You can consider waiting for a "sale" but remember that prices are just as likely to go UP as they are likely to go down. Are you willing and able to pay MORE if you gamble and the price goes up instead of down?

At that price for 3 I would book, especially since the flights are direct and at the time you want. I've had problems in the past with waiting and then no longer able to get the specific times I want, especially when booking more than 1 ticket. I don't personally find that airfare fluctuates that heavily and in my experience only goes up as they sell off their cheaper fares.

I do not think you should gamble. I waited to purchase flights for our July sailing in Anchorage, going first class the fares in Nov 2016 were very low, by Jan 2017 up 40% (when I purchased) and now sold out for our desirable flights...

It is not like we have a lot of flexibility in taking the flights... i.e. leisure and can change dates by few days one way or another...

bon voyage and enjoy your sailing!

When I think of San Diego to Houston....Southwest Airlines comes quickly to mind. Not sure if you are quoting their prices (which include free luggage) or a competitor. But the fare seem pretty good.

Hank

something else to remember: the price of the airfare is only part of the equation. Do you have to pay for carryons, checked bags, selecting a seat, printing a paper ticket, preferred boarding...

Each airline will hit you up for something - be sure the airfare + "add ons" are included in your decision for the cheapest rate.

Its with SWA so it would be free baggage and since my son has autism we qualify for priority boarding and are able to get the exact seats we need, our boarding passes can be downloaded straight to the phone. So all in all it would be that exact price of $774 with nothing more added and everything we need. We also would get our airfare we paid for back (as a credit for a future flight) for any reason we had to cancel or change our flights - with no fees.

When I think of San Diego to Houston....Southwest Airlines comes quickly to mind. Not sure if you are quoting their prices (which include free luggage) or a competitor. But the fare seem pretty good.

Hank

thats exactly who i am quoiting :)

Its with SWA so it would be free baggage and since my son has autism we qualify for priority boarding and are able to get the exact seats we need, our boarding passes can be downloaded straight to the phone. So all in all it would be that exact price of $774 with nothing more added and everything we need. We also would get our airfare we paid for back (as a credit for a future flight) for any reason we had to cancel or change our flights - with no fees.

Sounds like you have answered your own question....at this point why do you need anyone to tell you to book it...if so I will..."book it". I think you have done great...enjoy !