golden triangle

brian1

Hi,I forgot to mention,add roughly a third onto menu prices to allow for the numerous petty taxes including aircon tax,cheers,Brian.

Just curious, what can I expect to pay for a dinner meal in the hotels?

Just curious, what can I expect to pay for a dinner meal in the hotels?

Hi,we had a choice of buffet or alacarte.We would only have 1 main alacarte.Both choices were app. 25 to 30 GBP.with the dollar being stronger it might be better value for you.cheers,Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Golden Triangle tour and were so so careful with what we ate and drank, hand sanitising etc but I still got a tummy bug (no diarrhoea but excruciating cramps) The only thing I can think is that on our return to Delhi we had a snack in McDonald's as that seemed the safest place. I had diet Coke not thinking that the fountain soda was probably made with local water. I can't see them using bottled water when everybody in the restaurant was Indian

We did the Golden Triangle tour and were so so careful with what we ate and drank, hand sanitising etc but I still got a tummy bug (no diarrhoea but excruciating cramps) The only thing I can think is that on our return to Delhi we had a snack in McDonald's as that seemed the safest place. I had diet Coke not thinking that the fountain soda was probably made with local water. I can't see them using bottled water when everybody in the restaurant was Indian

I'm glad you mentioned this as I would have not thought about local water in the fountain drink either.

We are on a cruise starting April 2nd which calls into 4 ports in India. Having gone through the hassle of getting the visa, we have decided to fit in a Golden Triangle Tour next February to make the visas worthwhile, seeing it cost ~£300 for the two of us!! I have been looking into the options and have decided on the 3 cities plus the tiger tour. Ironically enough it is cheaper doing the whole tour from the UK than doing the one which Celebrity offers during the cruise! Plus it is 10 nights compared to 2 nights!

We are on a cruise starting April 2nd which calls into 4 ports in India. Having gone through the hassle of getting the visa, we have decided to fit in a Golden Triangle Tour next February to make the visas worthwhile, seeing it cost ~£300 for the two of us!! I have been looking into the options and have decided on the 3 cities plus the tiger tour. Ironically enough it is cheaper doing the whole tour from the UK than doing the one which Celebrity offers during the cruise! Plus it is 10 nights compared to 2 nights!

Can I ask which company you are doing the tour with? I can't decide whether to book (again) the "4 ports in India" cruise from Abu Dhabi or go land-based

Can I ask which company you are doing the tour with? I can't decide whether to book (again) the "4 ports in India" cruise from Abu Dhabi or go land-based

There is also a great trip next April with Cunard that does the land based trip as detailed above, then is followed by a cruise on the Queen Mary starting from Abu Dhabi or Dubai, travelling via Jordan, Suez Canal, Egypt, the Med, Seville and then finishing in Southampton. Unfortunately for us, our visas run out in early March otherwise I would seriously consider this trip 😋

Many thanks for your detailed reply. We did do the Golden Triangle tour with British Airways a few years ago and enjoyed it so much we'd like to do a similar tour of maybe different or additional places in India. I'll look at the companies you mentioned

• 2 months later...

We never ate at hotels - completely overpriced - and went to restaurants recommended by our guide which were nearby. Excellent local food at very reasonable prices and no tummy problems.

Drink out of cans or bottles, always check the seals on water bottles and always use a straw as you don't know where the drinks have been stored.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,some of the hotels on these packages are fairly isolated with no nearby restaurants.Yes the hotels were more expensive by Indian standards but not by UK standards,cheers,Brian.

• 1 month later...

We are doing this in December 2018' I booked and get 5 das Delhi.Agra and jaipur. Then fly to Dubai. I thought I could vet my visa online. Visa no visit too london. I can't figure out who h jabs to have if any and how to get them to save cost. How was twilight.airports.hotels Tec tours time on buses toilets on them. I have million question s

My e m ai l

Rob Rogers 25 at Yahoo. Co . Uk

Please help

Where sailing from Abi dabi to Mumbai and back to Dubai flying to Delhi I thought we could just apply for multi entry visa online for didn't think it was face to face

Also not certain which injections are needed

Any help much appreciated thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where sailing from Abi dabi to Mumbai and back to Dubai flying to Delhi I thought we could just apply for multi entry visa online for didn't think it was face to face

Also not certain which injections are needed

Any help much appreciated thanks

Hi,no jabs required.We had to have face to face in London as we live near there,but I think there are other centres in UK,cheers,Brian. Edited by brian1
spelling

• 3 months later...
hi.

Has anyone booked via Iglu orPlanet cruise.

we are going on the 14th december 5 days in India then dubai and a cruise for one week and then fly home.

any help or ideas .

looks like eating in hotels and bottled water etc it the way to go

Hi,yes correct.We did 7 days GT then 14 day cruise also from Dubai.I am a retired plumber and I thought I had the constitution of an ox.Woke up the morning of flight to Dubai with Delhi belly.Absolute nightmare flight and 1 night in hotel,had 1 boiled egg and 2 pieces of toast in 2 days.I will get flamed for this,but lied on the medical form boarding the ship.The only alternative was flying home early.Quite a few of our 300 strong group did this.Anyway all recovered after 2 days and no outbreaks on the ship,cheers,Brian.

ps we booked with Imagine Cruising.

We are going in January but our cruise is first then doing GT after also with imagine cruising we have upgraded to 5* hotels so fingers crossed if we eat inside we may be ok

But I know there is no guarantee

Any tips you can give us would b appreciated

I’m taking straws and hand gel n loads of Imodium

Anything else you can think of

We did the Golden Triangle in India, flew to Dubai then cruise back to Southampton.

In India, we did NOT eat in the hotels. They were completely overpriced and you will miss out on the local experience. We kept to bottled water (the tour supplied us with plenty so we never needed to buy any, but if you don't have that luxury, then buy the bottle water and make sure it's always sealed. Never drink out of cans, always with straws (you don't know what their store rooms are like!). And we made sure we ate no meat and fish, only vegetarian. And there is a lot of vegetarian restaurants out there. The local vegetarian food is absolutely delicious, the variety of breads is amazing.

It is very hot in India, and they don't exactly have the same hygiene and food safety standards of the west (that includes hotels). Eating hot vegetarian food is the way to go. No salads, no ice in drinks. Make sure if you ask for Coke etc, that they give you the bottle/can and not in a glass. Tapped soda is not safe. And we ate plenty. No problems.

One meal we had in Delhi in a restaurant opposite the hotel was about £5 (USD7?) for 2 of us (no alcohol). We had so much food and it also included tea. Some of our group at at the hotel and paid nearer to £100. And it wasn't nice local food.

So unless you hate Indian food, eat out. Ask your guide, ask the hotel receptionists, where THEY would eat. And you won't go far wrong. It's the real India you'll experience.

We are going in January but our cruise is first then doing GT after also with imagine cruising we have upgraded to 5* hotels so fingers crossed if we eat inside we may be ok

But I know there is no guarantee

Any tips you can give us would b appreciated

I’m taking straws and hand gel n loads of Imodium

Anything else you can think of

Hi,you've just had 2 conflicting opinions so the balls in your court really.Imagine do include buffet breakfasts and 1 or 2 lunches at good venues.2 of our hotels were not within walking distance of a decent alternative restaurant.My downfall may have been the highway stop on the way back to Delhi where we had an outside vegetarian lukewarm buffet at a not so good venue .This was not in the package and was optional.We paid nowhere near 100 quid for hotel meals and they were a minimum 4star,although booze is an arm and a leg so may account for those bills.We drank our duty free voddy in the room before going down,cheers,Brian.

Hi,just remembered,the"Princess Diana bench" we were taken to wasn't the one.The real one is at the other end of the pond nearer the Taj facing inwards.The obvious reason for this is the photographer would have to have a paparazzi lens or stand in the pond in a pair of waders.We found out too late but still tell everyone our's is the real deal,lol.Cheers,Brian.

Hi,just remembered,the"Princess Diana bench" we were taken to wasn't the one.The real one is at the other end of the pond nearer the Taj facing inwards.The obvious reason for this is the photographer would have to have a paparazzi lens or stand in the pond in a pair of waders.We found out too late but still tell everyone our's is the real deal,lol.Cheers,Brian.

Good point! We had the same experience of being taken to the wrong bench. Actually my DH pointed it out then but I didn't believe him...:eek:

Karenbeanpole where staying in Sheraton Saket in Delhi is this where you stayed is there anything around to go and eat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,go on Trip advisor reviews for your hotel,click on restaurants at top of page and then click restaurants near Sheraton Saket on the drop down menu.There seems quite a few around the vicinity.Cheers,Brian.