Anything to do or see close to port in Marseille and Naples? (Meraviglia)

sverigecruiser

We will soon be on the Meraviglia and I'm wondering if there is anything to do or see close to where she dock in Marseille and Naples?

Our plan is to just take a short walk close to the ship but we won't do that if it's just a port area and nothing to see. We can also stay on the ship the whole day, that's nice too!

We have booked excursions in Genoa, Messina and Valletta.

(I could have posted this in the ports of call section but since the Meraviglia is a big ship she might dock at a different place than many smaller cruise ships so I think that it's a specific Meraviglia question.)

Be very careful in Naples. Pickpockets abound and they are very professional. They work in teams. I had my iPhone stolen here recently, despite beng very careful. I have to say that we will never get off the ship here again and will simply enjoy whatever ship we are on.

The area immediately outside the dock gates is a bit of a mess with a large amount of building/excavation work going on.

Be very careful in Naples. Pickpockets abound and they are very professional. They work in teams. I had my iPhone stolen here recently, despite beng very careful. I have to say that we will never get off the ship here again and will simply enjoy whatever ship we are on.

The area immediately outside the dock gates is a bit of a mess with a large amount of building/excavation work going on.

Thanks for the warning.

It sounds like we can stay on the ship that day. It's always nice to walk around an almost empty ship so hopefully everyone else will get off!

For me one of the nicest places in the whole of Europe id the Isle of Capri. The ship will dock only a few hundred yards from the ferry terminal. There it is very easy to get a return ticket (look on the excursion boards above the ticket office for times, and choose a fast ferry), and a leisurely trip to a wonderful island awaits. Would be a terrible shame to waste the opportunity. Capri is very safe, and home to very wealthy folk.

Naples is one of our all time favorite ports. Two of the highlights were the "Veiled Christ" in a chapel museum, and the Galleria. But apart from that, we just loved the atmosphere of the real city, with people living their lives, and us just walking as our curiosity took us.

We sometimes stay on the ship in the Caribbean, where we have no more interest, but had we stayed aboard that day our lives would have been the less.

For me one of the nicest places in the whole of Europe id the Isle of Capri. The ship will dock only a few hundred yards from the ferry terminal. There it is very easy to get a return ticket (look on the excursion boards above the ticket office for times, and choose a fast ferry), and a leisurely trip to a wonderful island awaits. Would be a terrible shame to waste the opportunity. Capri is very safe, and home to very wealthy folk.

Thanks.

Naples is one of our all time favorite ports. Two of the highlights were the "Veiled Christ" in a chapel museum, and the Galleria. But apart from that, we just loved the atmosphere of the real city, with people living their lives, and us just walking as our curiosity took us.

We sometimes stay on the ship in the Caribbean, where we have no more interest, but had we stayed aboard that day our lives would have been the less.

I have a sister who lives in Italy so I have seen people living their lives there.

I can stay on the ship in Nassau but except for that every port in the Caribbean is more interesting than every port in Europe for me.

Thanks anyway for your thoughts and I'm glad that you had a superday in Naples!

Wîth Costa we had a ship basic cheap bus transfer into Marseille. A lovely old port complemented with great modern architecture on the port side in the form of massive outdoor public market roof in steel. Good Roman ruins under cover walking distance in port free? and walled fort and art museum. Free WiFi in tourist office. Get ice lollipops in packs at little supermarket and your done!