Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Mexican Riviera

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Mexican Riviera Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Old January 29th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default need wetsuit to snorkel in Cabo in Feb?

i'll be sailing on Princess to Cabo San Lucas soon (in two weeks in mid Feb) and from the current temperatures (70's), it looks like snorkeling will be very chilly. anyone either snorkeled there recently or know how the water temperature is? i wouldn't want to go through the trouble of buying a wetsuit just for this cruise; so if it's too cold to snorkel comfortably in a swimsuit, i'll sadly have to opt out.

thanks for any input!

Old January 29th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy

We were there on Jan 19th and it was chilly, water about 75. not good visibility. If you are use to the caribbean forget this area, in fact most of mexico is not too good.

Old January 29th, 2005, 10:35 PM
5,000+ Club

I was in Cabo on Jan 20 and went to Santa Maria Cove. While the water was chilly it only took a couple of minutes after I started moving about to feel comfortable and although the visibility wasn't so good where we entered the water off the catamaran as soon as we got to the shallow, rocky end where we were told the snorkeling would be good, the visibility was excellent and the variety of colorful fish exceeded my Caribbean snorkel excursions. The water was also extremely calm as this cove is protected from the Pacific. This was one of my best snorkeling experiences. So if only the wetsuit is an issue I'd suggest arranging for one.
RCCL: Brilliance (2), Vision (2), Enchantment (4), Voyager (2), Liberty (2), Navigator (2), Explorer (2), Majesty, Monarch(2), Jewel, Mariner, Independence, Freedom, Legend, Grandeur. Total: 25 cruises
Princess: Grand (2), Caribbean (2), Crown (2), Diamond, Dawn, Ruby. Total: 9 cruises
Cunard: QM2 (4). Total: 4 cruises
Renaissance: R2. Total: 1 cruise
Holland-America: Maasdam, Zaandam, Zuiderdam, Eurodam, Rotterdam. Total: 5 cruises
MSC-Divina. Total: 1 cruise
Grand Total: 92 cruises

Old January 30th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default murky? even worse.

i thought the only issue would be the somewhat chilly temp's this time of year until i heard from your posts and others that the water is murkier and rougher, too.

cruise pup, would you happen to know if the best area for snorkeling that you described is easy to find at SMB? i've heard that lover's beach is popular for snorkeling, but your description makes me want to check out SMB. was the spot you choose accessible by water taxi, also? i'd rather save the dough and not have to go on a catamaran tour if i can help it.

thanks!

Old January 30th, 2005, 02:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

The snorkeling at Lover's beach is only good on very calm days. The water there is colder than Santa Maria. I have been to Santa Maria twice and the snorkeling was very good both times. The water was clear, tons of fish and the cove is very calm. The beach is just beautiful. If you take some food for the fish, hundreds will come to feed. The water feels warm after you are in for awhile. The only time you will wish you had a wet suit is when the little jellyfish are present. Santa Maria is a long way from the ship tender dock. I don't think the water taxis go that far.
Mike

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 30th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default jmike

food! i can't believe i didn't think of that. thanks, that's a very smart idea! could you give me an example of what kind of fish food to bring? i know nothing about what fish are able to eat, besides those little gold fish flakes. hopefully i can just bring something from the ship (if it's safe for them, of course).

Old January 30th, 2005, 01:05 PM
5,000+ Club

I've seen lots of stuff work. You can take along the little boxes of cereal from the ship, hot dog rolls or other bread. Even dog biscuits work. As for going to Santa Maria on your own, you'd need to go by land taxi. It's about 10 miles away from Cabo. There is access from the road. I think Chileno Bay has facitilies but Santa Maria doesn't. I don't have any idea how much a cab would cost but you would have to make sure the cab will come back from you. There might be buses but that would really be taking a chance. The catamaran is so much fun I'd say find something else to save on and go for it.
RCCL: Brilliance (2), Vision (2), Enchantment (4), Voyager (2), Liberty (2), Navigator (2), Explorer (2), Majesty, Monarch(2), Jewel, Mariner, Independence, Freedom, Legend, Grandeur. Total: 25 cruises
Princess: Grand (2), Caribbean (2), Crown (2), Diamond, Dawn, Ruby. Total: 9 cruises
Holland-America: Maasdam, Zaandam, Zuiderdam, Eurodam, Rotterdam. Total: 5 cruises

Old January 30th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia
food! i can't believe i didn't think of that. thanks, that's a very smart idea! could you give me an example of what kind of fish food to bring? i know nothing about what fish are able to eat, besides those little gold fish flakes. hopefully i can just bring something from the ship (if it's safe for them, of course).
When diving, I've used mini-pretzels with excellent results. Their advantage is that they take a while to get soggy and break up.

- Erik

Old January 31st, 2005, 12:41 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
i thought the only issue would be the somewhat chilly temp's this time of year until i heard from your posts and others that the water is murkier and rougher, too.

cruise pup, would you happen to know if the best area for snorkeling that you described is easy to find at SMB? i've heard that lover's beach is popular for snorkeling, but your description makes me want to check out SMB. was the spot you choose accessible by water taxi, also? i'd rather save the dough and not have to go on a catamaran tour if i can help it.

thanks!
I didn't answer the snorkeling spot question. If you go to this link you'll see a great aerial photo of Santa Maria Cove (photo on the left). In the foreground which is the west end of the beach, you'll see that the water is shallow by the rocks (right in front of the catamaran). This is where you snorkel:

http://www.loscabosguide.com/beaches/santamaria.htm

Have fun. By the way, if the water wasn't clear how could the rocks show up so well in that photo?!!!

Old February 4th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default beautiful!

thx for the pic (and all the info), cruise pup! the visual helps a lot.

btw, how was the jellyfish situation for you in January? did you find it necessary to swab that jellyfish-repellant on?

someone mentioned that the ppl on their snorkeling tour got stung over 10 times! *ouch*

i'll post up a new thread for this question, too.

Old February 5th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

I went snorkeling in Cabo in December and found no need for a wetsuit. The water was great. We went snorkling in the area just off the rocks on the north side, just to the right of the arch. It was clear and we saw a lot of fish closer to shore, in the shallow water. It was almost as good as the fish we saw in Aruba.

Old February 5th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default mary jane

was this at lover's beach? so, you only needed to take a water taxi over to your snorkel spot for $4pp roundtrip, right?

Old February 8th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Check this site for Cabo water temperatures:

http://www.loscabostoday.com/weather.htm

Snorkeling in the Sea of Cortez should be doable with water temps 5 degrees higher than on the Pacific side. Last time I checked the temperature ranged from 68 to 73F.

Disney Magic - Oct 2000 Eastern Caribbean (rt Port Canaveral 7N)
Disney Magic - Jun 2002 Western Caribbean (rt Port Canaveral 7N)
HAL Oosterdam - Jul 2004 Alaska (rt Seattle 7N)
Celebrity Mercury - Feb 2005 Mexican Riviera (rt San Diego 10N)
Celebrity Millennium - Apr 2009 Hawaii (Honolulu-Vancouver 12N)
Diamond Princess - Apr 2010 Asia (Bangkok-Beijing 16N)
Celebrity Solstice - Sep 2013 Hawaii (Ensenada-Honolulu 11N)

Old February 8th, 2005, 11:19 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
thx for the pic (and all the info), cruise pup! the visual helps a lot.

btw, how was the jellyfish situation for you in January? did you find it necessary to swab that jellyfish-repellant on?

someone mentioned that the ppl on their snorkeling tour got stung over 10 times! *ouch*

i'll post up a new thread for this question, too.
No jellyfish problem when we went. Didn't see any. They played a recorded announcement on the the boat advising that jellies had been spotted in the area within the past 24 hours and anyone wishing to leave would get a refund. No one left. I'm thinking they play this recording every day to cover themselves.

Last edited by cruise pup; February 8th, 2005 at 11:22 AM.