Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Grenada

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 24th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Snorkeling or Mandoo?

I know everyone loves Mandoo but I'm still hesitating, and trying to decided between the half-day spice tour and a 2 stop snorkel trip with Aquanauts.

My concern is that the day before we're in Grenada, we're doing a very long private island tour in Dominica. My family doesn't love going several full days in a row and I'm wondering if it will be too repetitive. (Both beautiful jungle islands. . .) Also, we're not crazy about big crowds and this is Christmas week so I expect he'll have a busload or two.

We're not rabid snorkelers but we've enjoyed it in the past. We will be snorkeling the next day in Bonaire.

So: half-day Mandoo tour or half-day snorkel trip with Aquanauts (or anyone else you'd recommend, but not on our own)?

Old September 26th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Personally, I prefer not to do island tours two days in a row. Too much time sitting in a vehicle.
We're tubing in Dominica and then going with Mandoo or other for an island tour the next day.

Sailing again soon on:
RC Quantum of the Seas CTN - NCL Breakaway CTN - NCL Gem

Past Cruises:
NCL Gem CTN ● Carnival Splendor RC Explorer of the SeasNCL Gem ● NCL Breakaway CTN x 2 ● Carnival Glory ● NCL Breakaway Celebrity Equinox ● NCL Jewel CTN ● NCL Gem ● Carnival GloryDisney Magic CTNCarnival Freedom ● Norwegian Star ● Norwegian Gem ● Carnival Miracle CTNCarnival GloryCaribbean Princess repositioning ● Norwegian Jewel CTN ● Carnival LegendCarnival GloryCelebrity SummitIsland Princess through Panama Canal ● Norwegian Gem CTN ● Carnival Dream CTNCarnival LibertyCarnival Triumph Carnival Miracle ● Norwegian Dawn ● Norwegian Gem CTN ● Emerald PrincessRC Explorer of the SeasCrown PrincessCaribbean PrincessCarnival FantasyCarnival ImaginationCarnival Victory

Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Ok, just back from Grenada, Mandoo tour is done well, but Grenada is a very ravaged island from the hurricanes. Lots of destruction and it seems very poverty stricken.
If you are concerned about touring 2 islands, Dominica is the one to go with. It is a very beautiful island in every way....no comparison to Grenada. I would never return to Grenada but would consider Dominica. Dominica has hurricane damage also, but not in the way Grenada is torn apart.

Celebrity Silhouette Oct 2013 Adriatic Sea
Carnival Victory Jan 2013 S. Caribbean
NCL Dawn Feb 2012 S. Caribbean
Carnival Victory Oct 2011 S. Caribbean
Carnival Victory Dec 2010 S. Caribbean
NCL Dawn Jan 2010 S. Caribbean
Carnival Victory Jan 2009 S. Caribbean
Emerald Princess Nov 2008 S. Caribbean
Coral Princess Feb 2008 Panama Canal
Celebrity Galaxy Nov 2007 Eastern Mediterranean (16 yrs since our first cruise)
Sky Princess 1991 Eastern Caribbean

Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstayhome View Post
Ok, just back from Grenada, Mandoo tour is done well, but Grenada is a very ravaged island from the hurricanes. Lots of destruction and it seems very poverty stricken.
If you are concerned about touring 2 islands, Dominica is the one to go with. It is a very beautiful island in every way....no comparison to Grenada. I would never return to Grenada but would consider Dominica. Dominica has hurricane damage also, but not in the way Grenada is torn apart.
Thank you so much for your reply; it's just what I needed to hear. We'll stick with our full-day island tour in Dominica.

What do you think about taxi to Magazine Beach as our Grenada day?

Old November 23rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you look more on the Grenada boards you will see that Magazine Beach is recommended over Grand Anse due to the persistent vendors at GA. I've never been to either so can't tell from personal experience. But that's why we dig around on here!

And do ensure you snorkel on Bonaire....they had largest fish we saw out of 3 or 4 islands. Every where else the fish seemed so tiny in comparison. You will love it.

Celebrity Silhouette Oct 2013 Adriatic Sea
Carnival Victory Jan 2013 S. Caribbean
NCL Dawn Feb 2012 S. Caribbean
Carnival Victory Oct 2011 S. Caribbean
Carnival Victory Dec 2010 S. Caribbean
NCL Dawn Jan 2010 S. Caribbean
Carnival Victory Jan 2009 S. Caribbean
Emerald Princess Nov 2008 S. Caribbean
Coral Princess Feb 2008 Panama Canal
Celebrity Galaxy Nov 2007 Eastern Mediterranean (16 yrs since our first cruise)
Sky Princess 1991 Eastern Caribbean