Navigator vs. Star Princess HELP!!!

Is there ANYONE who has been on both of these ships (or any Voyager class) who can compare the activities and night life? As a previous passenger of the Star Princess, I found there to be plenty to do on the Star Princess. We're considering a trip to the Caribbean in January and I'm trying to decide between Nav and Star. I don't know enough about the Nagivator to really compare.

Any comments or suggestions?

~~
"What ever floats your boat!"
[url="http://home.infostations.net/tammy/cruise/cruise.htm"]My Cruise Webpage[/url]

Vision of the Seas 01/04
Star Princess 04/02
Song of America 01/98

I sailed aboard the Star Princess to Alaska in June 2002 (did two back to back trips) and in December 2003, aboard the Navigator to the Western Caribbean. Both ships were awesome, but I have to say, the Navigator had a lot more sports activities planned than the Star Princess. No other Caribbean cruise we have been on (and we have been on plenty as we are Diamond members of Royal Caribbean's Crown & Anchor Society) came close to the Navigator when it came to activities.

My husband and I are two very active people; we scuba dive, enjoy biking, hiking as well as volleyball and rock climbing. I realize we are in the minority of passengers, and things we look for in a cruise vacation are probably not all that high on most people's lists of things to do. Suffice it to say, we loved having the sports court, the volleyball tournaments, the rock climbing wall, and fitness center at our disposal on the Navigator. There were both traditional cruise activities planned, and some geared towards more active adults aboard the Navigator, that the Star Princess didn't have.

Both ships have miniature golf, and I have to say I really liked the lap pool on the Star, as I swim at home every day. We also had fun batting a tennis ball back and forth on the Star's sports court. There was a lot to do aboard the Star, but as our cruise was in Alaska, we especially enjoyed the naturalist lectures and did more inside than outside due to the cold.

I'd go back aboard the Star and her sister ships at the drop of a hat, if given the chance. But the Navigator has so much more to offer - the ice show is not to be missed and the Promanade is a sight to behold.

With that said, I thought the Princess' Personal Choice dining was better suited for us than the more traditional dining options available with Royal Caribbean. I thought the food in the buffet was better on the Star, and I thought the over all ambiance was slightly more upscale aboard the Star. The Navigator was also elegant, but I give the Star a slight edge when it comes to "a touch of class."

There were many more families and kids out and about aboard the Navigator in early December than what I could see on our late June voyage aboard the Star. Can't say I know the reason for this, but the fact that the Navigator is such a kid-friendly ship may have something to do with. We had great staterooms on both ships and the service was about equal. Both vacations were excellent. That's one reason we are looking to sail aboard the Mariner next year, Navigators twin sister ship.

Hope this helps. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Suzi

05 July 2004 Cruise Aboard Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas

21 November 2004 Cruise Aboard Carnival's Pride

20 February 2005 Cruise Critic Group Cruise Aboard Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas

I too have sailed both ships. I can only say the above posted answer is exactly my thoughts too. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. One thing maybe to consider is that Princess pools are open 24 hours and are fresh water.

I would do the Navigator again before the Star. But I did love the fresh baked Pizza. YUM

Vision '00
Rhapsody '01
Radiance '01
NCL Star '02
Princess Star '02
Grandeur '02
Radiance '02
Statendam '03
Navigator 7/03
Radiance 5/04

I say do both!

Diane
Check out our cruise pictures:
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/thebowers"]http://community.webshots.com/user/thebowers[/url]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;04;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] 'Til the Navigator
Again!

Carnival Fantasy 7/28/2000
Carnival Triumph 9/22/2001
Carnival Imagination 4/21/2002
Carnival Triumph 5/29/2002
Carnival Legend 9/20/2002 (Inaugural)
Explorer of the Seas 10/19/2002
Navigator of the Seas 12/10/2002 (Inaugural)
Explorer of the Seas 12/14/2002
Navigator of the Seas 5/03/2003
Adventure of the Seas 7/27/2003
Serenade of the Seas 8/23/2003 (Inaugural)
Mariner of the Seas 11/12/2003 (Inaugural)
Mariner of the Seas 12/14/2003 (Golden Anchor Cruise!)
Navigator of the Seas 4/10/2004
Caribbean Princess 5/22/2004
Star Princess 11/21/2004

Thanks for all of your input!

~~
"What ever floats your boat!"
[url="http://home.infostations.net/tammy/cruise/cruise.htm"]My Cruise Webpage[/url]

01/05 - Star Princess or Navigator (undecided)
Vision of the Seas 01/04
Star Princess 04/02
Song of America 01/98

One thing I forgot to mention was that Royal Caribbean's past guest program is far more generous than other cruise lines, including Princess. Don't get me wrong, I thought Princess treated us well, by providing us with a substantial upgrade, little gifts while on the ship, and excellent customer service. But the truth is, nothing we got from Princess or the others compares with Royal Caribbean's concierge service and all the other past guest perks for Diamond members.

I know that on more than one occasion, it was the perks extended to us for being Diamond members that made me choose Royal Caribbean when price and itinerary were close to being the same.

Suzi

05 July 2004 Cruise Aboard Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas

21 November 2004 Cruise Aboard Carnival's Pride

20 February 2005 Cruise Critic Group Cruise Aboard Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas

I was on the Star Princess 8/3 and Navigator 3/4 I agree both are beautiful ships. There were times I felt crowded on the Star, did not feel that way on the Navigator ( both were full ships). We had balcony rooms on both, I liked the set up better on the Star. The is only one show each night on the Star and there isn't a seat for everybody. Both though are wonderful cruise ships.

Archived