3rd time's the Charm

IRL_Joanie

Thank you Ruth! Right now I m enjoying the snowfall as I prepare to start laundry. I will post a short comparison of the 3 very different cruises. But just as an appetizer, and I know you had asked, the hurtigruten had amazing food, not so the viking, imho, and to my great surprise. Enjoy all your holday celebrating. m--

Oh, wow. Now that is a teaser! Looking forward to the rest.

Just a few notes on my Tamarind Lunch.

Indeed reservations are required but with perhaps one or two no-shows, it is possible to squeeze into a table with others.

The only choice on the menu is the dessert course. With the exception of any allergies to items that may be omitted everything else is non-negotiable. I found the salad dressing quite spicy but someone else really liked it. Two Vegans at our table discovering they could only eat the salad, declared the lunch "not worth the cost" (free??) and departed without eating.

The service was quick but unlike the Tamarind dinner, the food was not memorable to other than dim sum and spring roll lovers.

Here is the current Tamarind Lunch menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/NA-Tamarind-Lunch.pdf

There will be a quickly-organized dinner tonight for a number of CC members in the Tamarind tonight.

My two dinners in the Tamarind on this cruise were excellent, and unlike the MDR, the service was very efficient.

Here is the current Tamarind Dinner menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Tamarind-Dinner-Menu.pdf

I often caution people about going to the Tamarind for lunch. Its nothing like dinner. I love spring rolls but the lunch doesn't really contain much for a spring roll lover.

Not much to report at the moment. We are in Ocho Rios, Jamaica and even if there was no pouring rain, I would be sitting here on the ship. I just do not care for this island and cannot say why.....

Hubby went to get me some nachos for lunch, so this will be a short post:)

Maureen, thank you!! and welcome to HomeDam!! I am unhappy to think that next Tuesday late afternoon, I shall be home also:(

Hubby and a Crew Member had a chat last night, it's a secret for now, and I had a chat with the CD, Jeremy, about it this morning, who thinks wghat hubby will be doing next on his web site will be great. He's also going to make sure with HAL that they approve. I know that has most, if not all saying, "What the Hades is she trying to not say?" You'll just have to wait.....

Carol, I cannot believe that you posted your being doused while on your verandah!!! The reason I am in shock is because at 6:45 am yesterday I was dousred by a hose that was pushed under the railing from the deck 6 aft wrap above me and pointed towards my chair for about 30 seconds or so. It (the hose) stuck down about 3 feet and was moved direction as I tried to get away from the water coming from it, luckily not full force, but enough that I was soaked as was thre verandah and all the furniture:mad: After reviewing the footage of the incident (from the camera, which I assume was from the aft Lido looking towards the MDR and water below, they determinred it was a Crew member. They told us that they informed us that the Crew mewmber did not realize or think that passengers might be awake at 6:45 am........Anyway it should not happen again, according to HAL. And before anyone asks, I told them I have no wish for any compensation or anything because my clothes dried and I was not injured and an overly zealous Crew member has been set straight and another passenger will not suffer:)

OH when I went to the CD's Office which he shares with 2 others, he was in the orocess of reviewing all of the Online Surveys that were from either last week or the week before. He said it takes him several hours, but he, and I'm sure the other Officers on the ship, read each and every review.

OK, Nachos have just arrived and I is hungry, so time to say Bye!!

Joanie

I was interested in your cooking class experience as it was completely different from what my husband and I experienced on the NA. (not doubting you, please don't misunderstand)

I realize that everyone's experiences may not be the same as mine and I fully support this forum for the free exchange of experiences. As I frequently tell others, "Cruising, sex, and computers do not have a central location to learn all that you need to know so we get by with a little help from our friends."

This was my first experience with a "guest chef" and that might have been her way of presenting the class. During the class the HAL Party Planner reminded her that we needed to participate. At that point, she had each attendee dump a different ingredient into her mixing bowl.

I agree that the PG chefs go out of their way to make the classes fun. My crepe flipping skills are quite good now, as well as my salmon skinning technique thanks to previous classes.

In the future, I will probably cancel the class if I find that it is with a guest chef (unless they are famous) after this NA experience.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is now fully decked-out with Christmas decorations. Lots of gingerbread houses around the ship as well as garlands and trees. The aft Lido deck has a lighted overhead display on the front of the Sports Deck.

Several of the bar servers were up late making Santa Claus figures that were then dipped in wax.

Christmas music has been played in the MDR and now throughout the ship. I have noticed a number kids on board during Embarkation Day but they have vanished into Club HAL. There are a number of staterooms with bright red stocking hanging on the door handles. It is such a temptation to drop something into them.

I will post this on the Dec 21 NA Roll Call.

Not much to report at the moment. We are in Ocho Rios, Jamaica and even if there was no pouring rain, I would be sitting here on the ship. I just do not care for this island and cannot say why.....

Hubby went to get me some nachos for lunch, so this will be a short post:)

Maureen, thank you!! and welcome to HomeDam!! I am unhappy to think that next Tuesday late afternoon, I shall be home also:(

Hubby and a Crew Member had a chat last night, it's a secret for now, and I had a chat with the CD, Jeremy, about it this morning, who thinks wghat hubby will be doing next on his web site will be great. He's also going to make sure with HAL that they approve. I know that has most, if not all saying, "What the Hades is she trying to not say?" You'll just have to wait.....

Carol, I cannot believe that you posted your being doused while on your verandah!!! The reason I am in shock is because at 6:45 am yesterday I was dousred by a hose that was pushed under the railing from the deck 6 aft wrap above me and pointed towards my chair for about 30 seconds or so. It (the hose) stuck down about 3 feet and was moved direction as I tried to get away from the water coming from it, luckily not full force, but enough that I was soaked as was thre verandah and all the furniture:mad: After reviewing the footage of the incident (from the camera, which I assume was from the aft Lido looking towards the MDR and water below, they determinred it was a Crew member. They told us that they informed us that the Crew mewmber did not realize or think that passengers might be awake at 6:45 am........Anyway it should not happen again, according to HAL. And before anyone asks, I told them I have no wish for any compensation or anything because my clothes dried and I was not injured and an overly zealous Crew member has been set straight and another passenger will not suffer:)

OH when I went to the CD's Office which he shares with 2 others, he was in the orocess of reviewing all of the Online Surveys that were from either last week or the week before. He said it takes him several hours, but he, and I'm sure the other Officers on the ship, read each and every review.

OK, Nachos have just arrived and I is hungry, so time to say Bye!!

Joanie

OK Joanie let me start by apologizing. I did indeed have a smile and maybe even laughed out loud a little at the thought of a crazed water hose chasing you around the veranda.

Hope you enjoyed the nachos!

OK Joanie let me start by apologizing. I did indeed have a smile and maybe even laughed out loud a little at the thought of a crazed water hose chasing you around the veranda.

Yes, it does sound funny. Hope the water didn't douse your ciggie:)

Yes, it does sound funny. Hope the water didn't douse your ciggie:)

LOL, No apology needed Frank:) Believe me, after the initial response as it was happening, I laughed it off. It was maddening at that instance which only lasted a few seconds. I did protect my ciggie Chris, and more importantly, my e-Reader "Kobo Glo." Clothes and smokes could be replaced easily, but not the Kobo!!

It is Cayman Island day which means another lazy day on my verandah and possibly the nap I've been trying to have everry day and failed.

Breakfast has just arrived so will say, more later

Joanie

St Thomas totally wrecked me. No one wanted to take us back to Crown Bay from Havensight. (A comment of Catl331) Could it be that would be two rides. 1 - Crown Bay to St. Thomas and 2nd ride to Havensight. We have done the rides into St. Thomas from Crown Bay with no problem the first part ends there and then the return is back to Crown Bay. I think what you wanted really turns out to be two rides.
No.

Going over from Crown Bay to Havensite was a single $5 pp ride (just into Charlotte Amalie was $4) and back from Havensite to Crown Bay is also a single $5 ride. Those rates are posted at Crown Bay.

It was a case of bad timing ... a lot of people coming off the Carnival Breeze wanted to go to Megan's Bay or just downtown CA, so the drivers were loading up with them and leaving. Finally the dispatcher told us to get on a jitney that said he was just going to CA, and then when we got there tell him that we wanted to go to Crown Bay, and he had to take us there for $5 pp for the entire ride. It worked ... but since gas is almost $5/gal there I gave him a good tip. :)

Edited by jtl513

The weather in Ocho Rio was a soaker and it appeared that many just stayed on board.

I enjoyed dinner with three other CC members in the Tamarind last night and all, with a special emphasis on the appetizers, praised the food.

Joyce, Neptune Lounge Concierge, continues to look out for our every need and my requests for menus.

Docking in Grand Cayman today was in a brief rain shower but the day evolved into sunshine with very fluffy clouds. My tour on a duck (amphibious vehicle) was interesting. During the land phase,I was certain that we passed every US-based fast food chain. Gasoline was selling for $7.25/US gallon. During the water phase, after inflating the pontoons, we entered the water and visited a ship wreck followed by feeding bread to ravenous fish. The 1.5-hour tour was an introduction to potential diners and shoppers and well worth the very low cost.

With four ships in port, the sidewalks were filled with folks. Having visited the island a number of times, I returned to the ship and completed my photographic essay of the cruise.

Inquiring for those to follow next week, I learned that the unlimited internet this week was a test that had plenty of passenger support. It has not yet been determined if the test would be extended to the Dec 21 passengers.

Current internet speed test results to Atlanta are 3.22 mbs Download and .41 mbs Upload.

Christmas music continues to fill the ship.

Edited by Crew News

Roger & Joanie -

Thanks for all the great updates! Did they keep the four panel fold out menu for formal nights this week?

Back to the normal menus this week for Formal Night as well as the traditional entrees at least for the first Formal Night.

Big changes for this week are the Christmas music throughout the ship and the unlimited internet package test.

Back to the normal menus this week for Formal Night as well as the traditional entrees at least for the first Formal Night.

Big changes for this week are the Christmas music throughout the ship and the unlimited internet package test.

Thanks! I wonder if the menus were just a format test or if they were special for the Centurion Cruise. No one seemed to know last week.

If nothing else, the single page was easier to scan. ;)

Thanks! I wonder if the menus were just a format test or if they were special for the Centurion Cruise. No one seemed to know last week.

If nothing else, the single page was easier to scan. ;)

I have the same menus from last week in the old format that were delivered to my Neptune Suite. When I asked my waiters about the menus, they said it was special for the visitors, just like the Florida lobsters.

In addition, the regular CD, Jeremy, was left in FLL last week so that the Corporate CD, JT, could be on board with the Boss.

I asked the NA Culinary Operations Manager about creme brulee' and I was assured that it is available everyday in the MDR. With so many possible dessert items that can be placed in the allocated menu space, he said that some don't make the list. Just ask.

Edited by Crew News

I have the same menus from last week in the old format that were delivered to my Neptune Suite. When I asked my waiters about the menus, they said it was special for the visitors, just like the Florida lobsters.

In addition, the regular CD, Jeremy, was left in FLL last week so that the Corporate CD, JT, could be on board with the Boss.

Reminds me of the food magically re-appearing the the Westerdam NL when the Carnival CEO was on board.

Many years ago on Noordam 3 or Nieuw Amsterdam (can't remember which) in Mexico we sailed with the Van der Vorms (Former owners of HAL). My ex- in laws got to know them pretty well- they were lovely people. No one (passengers) knew they owned the company and crew treated them like any other passengers. They were in a standard outside cabin.

We found out after the cruise from crew friends who the people we had spent time with were. We were told they wanted to be with other passengers, eat the same meals as other passengers, and hear what fellow passengers had to say about HAL. Mr Van der Vorm did tell my FIL at lunch one day that he was "with" Holland America and had been with the company for a long time. That was it.

He did tell us that if we ever encountered a problem to call his office in Seattle as he had friends that could assist. Well we indeed a few years later did hit a big snag with a B2B and left a message with his admin as he was out of the office. Needless to say, our "issue" was resolved the same day.

Sad that now the only time everything is "top of the line" is when execs are on board. The execs really need to do the Undercover Boss thing and sail as regular passengers (without an entourage).

Edited by frankc98376

Reminds me of the food magically re-appearing the the Westerdam NL when the Carnival CEO was on board.

Many years ago on Noordam 3 or Nieuw Amsterdam (can't remember which) in Mexico we sailed with the Van der Vorms (Former owners of HAL). My ex- in laws got to know them pretty well- they were lovely people. No one (passengers) knew they owned the company and crew treated them like any other passengers. They were in a standard outside cabin.

We found out after the cruise from crew friends who the people we had spent time with were. We were told they wanted to be with other passengers, eat the same meals as other passengers, and hear what fellow passengers had to say about HAL. Mr Van der Vorm did tell my FIL at lunch one day that he was "with" Holland America and had been with the company for a long time. That was it.

He did tell us that if we ever encountered a problem to call his office in Seattle as he had friends that could assist. Well we indeed a few years later did hit a big snag with a B2B and left a message with his admin as he was out of the office. Needless to say, our "issue" was resolved the same day.

Sad that now the only time everything is "top of the line" is when execs are on board. The execs really need to do the Undercover Boss thing and sail as regular passengers (without an entourage).[/QUOTE]

Bolding is mine. I so agree. What's the point on getting on board and having special menus and thinking this is the regular fare?

They should at least come incognito (if not do the undercover boss thing) and see what real life is on board the ships.

Sad that now the only time everything is "top of the line" is when execs are on board. The execs really need to do the Undercover Boss thing and sail as regular passengers (without an entourage).

Totally agree. They probably wonder why people complain when things are so beautiful on board. They should have fed them the lobster newburg that we had the second week of my cruise instead of lobster:D.

The undercover boss idea is good but how does one have their passport/name on manifest without anyone seeing it is Mr. Arnold, Mr. Kruse etc? It's one thing to show up as undercover boss in Wendy's but not when one needs ID's presented.

The undercover boss idea is good but how does one have their passport/name on manifest without anyone seeing it is Mr. Arnold, Mr. Kruse etc? It's one thing to show up as undercover boss in Wendy's but not when one needs ID's presented.

I believe they did it on one cruise line. I want to say it was NCL or Carnival but my memory may be faulty.

You could ask the CEO of Norwegian Cruise Lines as one of the "Undercover Boss" episodes was shot on the "Pride of America".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpk7WNG2gtQ

Sad that now the only time everything is "top of the line" is when execs are on board. The execs really need to do the Undercover Boss thing and sail as regular passengers (without an entourage).[/QUOTE]

Bolding is mine. I so agree. What's the point on getting on board and having special menus and thinking this is the regular fare?

They should at least come incognito (if not do the undercover boss thing) and see what real life is on board the ships.

I think the VIPs are quite aware that they are being treated differently. All they have to do is look around.

I'm pretty sure that HAL was pulling out all the stops because this was the 2014 Centurion Cruise. The VIP passengers were the top 100 producing travel agents, and the big show was for them, including having the Holland America executives on board. We've been on other cruises with executives and this was much bigger.

If you don't mind losing a public room or two for a few hours a day, I'd highly recommend the Centurion Cruise. :)

Having been in the travel industry for many years there are ways this can be accomplished. Celebrities travel under "assumed" names on a regular basis- it's amazing what can be done- even in these days of enhanced security. Doesn't necessarily need to be Mr Cruise or Mr Arnold- lots of execs in Seattle that on board staff wouldn't recognize.

Edited by frankc98376