Cruising with an arrest warrant

lilone

Hi Everyone,

Over the weekend I was talking to a few people that will be cruising with me in June . Well one of my friends told me that her boyfriend, who is going on the cruise has a warrant in New Jersey for a unpaid fine due to a DUI.

She asked me will they let him on. I told her I think so but I would be afraid to go with a warrant. I told her to have him pay before we go.

My question to you yall is will he be allowed to board? Will he get arrested before or after if he doesn't pay it? Any advice/information on this kinda situation would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, FYI we are leaving out of port of Miami.

Thanks again

I don't know the answer to your question but I have always wondered this. What do they see on the screens when they scan your passport? The other thing I have wondered is if you are a registered offender are you allowed to cruise? (this is what happens when you get bored and start thinking of all kinds of things...LOL)

Wow. I can't imagine not getting something like that sorted out. Seems like that could create a real fun time at Customs when reentering the county. Likewise for the girlfriend if someone wanted to make an example out of it.

Anyway, the ONLY piece of advice you get on this forum that you should listen to is the one which says he needs to talk to a real lawyer well before trying to leave the country.

I don't *think* he'll have a problem. Carnival doesn't do a warrant check or background check before you board. The only issue he *might* have is in obtaining a passport, but will *most likely* be fine.

Get ready though, you're going to get all kinds of stuff here about hanging out with/vacationing with/associating with "those" types of people. Hang on!!! :rolleyes:

PS: Personally, I couldn't give a rats a$$, but there are those that do. :o

ETA: Of course, this is ONLY my OPINION!

Quite possibly though, on his return, DHS customs might catch him, and if he's caught leaving the country while on a warrant he could possibly get into even more trouble. Personally I'd check on that before I'd be leaving on a cruise, just to make sure.

On at least 2 of my past cruises, people were arrested for warrants when returning to port. On our last cruise, our debarkation was delayed by a couple of hours because of it.

I don't think he'll have a problem getting on the ship, but might get arrested when he tries to get off the ship.

Good Luck!

Ashley :)

A friend of mine was arrested as she left the Carnival Sensation a few months ago as she was clearing customs. That was for a Failure to appear warrant for D.W.I. which is a little more severe than a failure to pay so they do check.

I doubt he'll be flagged getting on the ship, it's getting off where he might encounter the problems. And it's not when he goes through customs, unless he's smuggling anything, it's when he goes through immigration.

Quite possibly though, on his return, DHS customs might catch him, and if he's caught leaving the country while on a warrant he could possibly get into even more trouble. Personally I'd check on that before I'd be leaving on a cruise, just to make sure.

On at least 2 of my past cruises, people were arrested for warrants when returning to port. On our last cruise, our debarkation was delayed by a couple of hours because of it.

I don't think he'll have a problem getting on the ship, but might get arrested when he tries to get off the ship.

Good Luck!

I'm agreeing with both poster above - I don't believe the problem will come in boarding, it might come in leaving the ship. If he were going thru Canadian Customs/Immigration he'd not make it. ken

As someone who used to work with the State Dept. years ago, I would advise that the girlfriend has an alternate means of getting home set up before getting off the ship, as she may well be going home alone.

Customs runs checks on every passenger and will contact local authorities when they get to a U.S. port. Prior to me retiring I was a cop who took many cruise ship passengers off the ship for active warrants.. He will be arrested.

Is a Federal warrent? If not then dont worry about it.

Customs runs checks on every passenger and will contact local authorities when they get to a U.S. port. Prior to me retiring I was a cop who took many cruise ship passengers off the ship for active warrants.. He will be arrested.

It's posts like these that make me think that the best course of action is to have your friend contact a lawyer and find out the answer to this question.

I imagine that regardless of whether or not he can expect trouble on the cruise as a result of his warrant that the attorney will encourage him to pay his fine and call an end to the active arrest warrant.;)

Thanks for all the replies. One more thing if he does pay it before we leave does a warrant get lifted as soon as its paid or should he bring the receipt?

I told her I would post her question on here and let her know what the responses were when she calls me tonight.

Thanks again!!

As a police officer I would like to add; once the warrant is discovered and IF he is detained. It will be up to the agency holding the warrant to determine if they want to come pick him up (Extradite him). Most agencies will only travel certain distances.

If he is aware of the issue I too feel like he should get it resolved before going on the cruise.

Really? Cause I had a friend who had a warrent in Bell County Texas and embarked and disembarked in Galveston, TX...walked right off the ship into customs with his DL and no problem what so ever.

Hi Everyone,

Over the weekend I was talking to a few people that will be cruising with me in June . Well one of my friends told me that her boyfriend, who is going on the cruise has a warrant in New Jersey for a unpaid fine due to a DUI.

She asked me will they let him on. I told her I think so but I would be afraid to go with a warrant. I told her to have him pay before we go.

My question to you yall is will he be allowed to board? Will he get arrested before or after if he doesn't pay it? Any advice/information on this kinda situation would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, FYI we are leaving out of port of Miami.

Thanks again

If this guy has enough money to go on a cruise, then one would think he would have enough money to pay off his fine. I guess vacationing is more important than being a wanted person:rolleyes:

I'm a law enforcement officer and I'm with Happyg Lucky here ... I would have the boyfriend call New Jersey and find out the extradition area. For, I'm guessing a VOP DUI warrant, it's been my experience that they will not pay to get him from Florida...However, he should try to take care of it.. why live with that lurking over his shoulder.

If it's a more serious offense then what we are being told though, he should definately take care of it...

If this guy has enough money to go on a cruise, then one would think he would have enough money to pay off his fine. I guess vacationing is more important than being a wanted person:rolleyes:

I was just thinking the same thing! Priorities, priorities, priorities... :rolleyes:

We have been on several cruise were people were detained and arrested PRIOR to boarding the ship PRIOR to the cruise departing the US. It is not pretty and why would anyone want to take that risk and drag everyone traveling with him thru that headache?

IF he pays this fine and the warrant is lifted I would make sure he has some sort of legal document stating that he is clear and the warrant lifted.

Really? Cause I had a friend who had a warrent in Bell County Texas and embarked and disembarked in Galveston, TX...walked right off the ship into customs with his DL and no problem what so ever.

Like happygolucky said, if the police agency that has the warrant won't extradite, then there would be no reason to detain the person.

I'm certainly far from an expert such as other posters here, but one would assume that the severity of the crime involved would dictate the action taken. I doubt the agency holding the warrant would drive very far to get someone who simply owes a fine. Doesn't quite make sense to waste money and manpower on something fairly mundane.

Like happygolucky said, if the police agency that has the warrant won't extradite, then there would be no reason to detain the person.

I'm certainly far from an expert such as other posters here, but one would assume that the severity of the crime involved would dictate the action taken. I doubt the agency holding the warrant would drive very far to get someone who simply owes a fine. Doesn't quite make sense to waste money and manpower on something fairly mundane.

I agree however, he was never even questioned...literly walked off just like anyone else...and your right about the severity..from what I understand it was a minor traffic offence and for a failure to appear- doubtful that Bell County wants to drive all the way to Galveston for that.

That's what I was thinking!!! I had a friend meet me for a weekend at Disney and she let me know she had to drive careful because she had a warrent out for bounced checks at the grocery store...I was thinking OMG...if you can't afford groceries or the warrant...your ass should NOT be at Disney...buying her son every popcorn bucket from each park for his legos. Priorities!!!

Archived