Trip Insurance-I used mine, don't leave home without it

txskier

We are cruising in a couple of days. Is it to late to buy insurance for an elderly person? And what do you have to purchase ? I'm a bit confused. do I have to buy 2 different types and from companies? He's had some unexpected medical issues recently and I'm not sure if any of the insurances will cover if something happens. Any information will be appreciated[/quote

Another option is to call this company. Their phone number is at the top of this page.

https://www.insuremytrip.com/ You have to decide what kind of coverage you want. They can help.

Update.....I came back to work this week (July 5th)!!!

Still have about 5 more weeks of cardio rehab. The more I do the better I feel.

thanks

Dan

Wonderful that this all had a happy outcome!

Thank you for the update.

This kind of thing worries us more and more as we get older.

There are a few types of travel that we now won't take, and we just wish we had started our 'serious travel' earlier.

Did you have to use something like MedJetAssist, or did your regular health insurance or travel insurance cover the medevac?

And how long did you stay in the Florida hospital?

We keep reading about people who are transferred to that area.

At least they are probably accustomed to receiving medevac'd patients.

Any insurance is something we hope we don't have to use. I finally had to use mine

My pain through this whole ordeal was never more than a 5 with a 10 being a kidney stone.

The plane arrives at 130.....we are taking off at 200am.

We are going to Fort Lauderdale to Broward Medical Health.

There is a cardiac team waiting for us at 530am.

2 stents later in the lower anterior descending artery, I am much better.

Don't forget you travel insurance. Look at the amount for emergency evacuation. We were told that the jet to Fort Lauderdale was being billed at $25,000.

Dan

Thank goodness you made it through! There is a good reason that an MI (heart attack) in the LAD (left anterior descending) is called "the widowmaker". Best wishes for your ongoing recovery.

You made two incredibly important points. 1, have travel insurance including evacuation. 2, the pain of an MI can be subtle. Symptoms include (but you don't have to have all) chest pain or pressure or heaviness or squeezing, extra sweating, difficulty breathing, nausea or vomiting, pain or pressure in the jaw or arm(s), sense of impending doom. If you have symptoms, get checked out. We'd rather see 20 patients to catch the one having the heart attack, rather than ever missing one. We are always happy to be able to say "just indigestion, thanks for coming in."

It is never a waste of the ED staff's time.

Wonderful that this all had a happy outcome!

Thank you for the update.

This kind of thing worries us more and more as we get older.

There are a few types of travel that we now won't take, and we just wish we had started our 'serious travel' earlier.

Did you have to use something like MedJetAssist, or did your regular health insurance or travel insurance cover the medevac?

And how long did you stay in the Florida hospital?

We keep reading about people who are transferred to that area.

At least they are probably accustomed to receiving medevac'd patients.

This cruise was booked through United Cruises. I purchased their offering of travel insurance. The 3rd party administrator of the policy confirmed with the ER Doctor I needed additional help that could not be provided in Bonaire. Once that was established, the administrator dispatched a jet ambulance from the Dominican Republic.

My heart attack started on May 31. We took off for Fort Lauderdale June 1 at 2am. At Broward Medical at 530am. I was discharged on June 6th in the evening.

My regular insurance kicked in once in FL.

Update.....I came back to work this week (July 5th)!!!

Still have about 5 more weeks of cardio rehab. The more I do the better I feel.

thanks

Dan

Dan, after reading ur story, I am so thankful that u are ok. It had to be a very scary situation for u and ur wife!

If you don't mind me asking, as I am very new to all this, just exactly what insurance did you have?

Dan, after reading ur story, I am so thankful that u are ok. It had to be a very scary situation for u and ur wife!

If you don't mind me asking, as I am very new to all this, just exactly what insurance did you have?

The travel insurance that I had purchased was what United Cruises was offering. It had emergency evac coverage up to $50,000.

The scary part was the length of time spent even in Bonaire that the small hospital could not do what needed to be done. But that could be said for most of the islands in the Caribbean.

This won't keep us from cruising.....for once I don't have another cruise booked. We don't plan on cruising again til 2018.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad the op was ok - that is the most important thing!

Travelinsured or squaremouth or insuremytrip quote prices for various insurance companies' policies, and usually will show you the policy before you buy. It is essential to review the precise language of the coverages and compare the language from policy to policy - recently one policy I was looking at had language that it would pay for a trip to the nearest hospital; another had language that it would pay to transport you to a hospital of your choice (depending on what you needed). Some policies will pay to transport your spouse also; others don't. Be careful to buy what you need and want.

The insurance offered by the cruise line often does not include the pre-existing condition waiver - read the fine print.

If you make a future cruise deposit for while on a cruise in order to get a shipboard credit or whatever, when you go to book the travel insurance for the cruise you are going to use it on, you have to note that the first deposit, or booking, was made on the date of that first cruise when you made the deposit. That might limit your ability to get the "pre-existing condition waiver" on the policy for the next cruise. If you have a condition or have a family member at home with a condition, you probably want to get the pre-existing condition waiver to ensure coverage regardless of what happens to whom.

I recently booked a cruise a week in advance, but since the future cruise deposit was made 3 years ago, I had to use that date as the booking date. The $100 shipboard credit was negated by the $80 extra I had to pay for a policy that would provide the pre-existing condition waiver. Lesson learned - for us, who need the pre-exisiting condition waiver and likes to book last minute cruises - it's better to not book the future cruise while onboard - unless you're sure of the dates you are going to travel and are willing to buy the policy within 2 weeks or so (depending on insurance company) of making that deposit.

As with most things, the devil is in the details and it pays to put in a little time to get the coverages you really need.

Glad the op was ok - that is the most important thing!

Travelinsured or squaremouth or insuremytrip quote prices for various insurance companies' policies, and usually will show you the policy before you buy. It is essential to review the precise language of the coverages and compare the language from policy to policy - recently one policy I was looking at had language that it would pay for a trip to the nearest hospital; another had language that it would pay to transport you to a hospital of your choice (depending on what you needed). Some policies will pay to transport your spouse also; others don't. Be careful to buy what you need and want.

The insurance offered by the cruise line often does not include the pre-existing condition waiver - read the fine print.

If you make a future cruise deposit for while on a cruise in order to get a shipboard credit or whatever, when you go to book the travel insurance for the cruise you are going to use it on, you have to note that the first deposit, or booking, was made on the date of that first cruise when you made the deposit. That might limit your ability to get the "pre-existing condition waiver" on the policy for the next cruise. If you have a condition or have a family member at home with a condition, you probably want to get the pre-existing condition waiver to ensure coverage regardless of what happens to whom.

I recently booked a cruise a week in advance, but since the future cruise deposit was made 3 years ago, I had to use that date as the booking date. The $100 shipboard credit was negated by the $80 extra I had to pay for a policy that would provide the pre-existing condition waiver. Lesson learned - for us, who need the pre-exisiting condition waiver and likes to book last minute cruises - it's better to not book the future cruise while onboard - unless you're sure of the dates you are going to travel and are willing to buy the policy within 2 weeks or so (depending on insurance company) of making that deposit.

As with most things, the devil is in the details and it pays to put in a little time to get the coverages you really need.

TravelInsured is an insurance company, not a broker like the other two companies you mention.

We've purchased quite a few TravelInsured policies from

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

which is another broker, selling policies from a variety of insurers that they've vetted.

We've purchased insurance within the 21 days of first payment/deposit as required by TravelInsured, to get the waiver of pre-existing condition exclusion (we must have that!).

But the few times we made a deposit that we weren't quite sure we'd take the trip... but then did... the next best for us was a policy (also purchased through TripInsuranceStore.com) was from CSA.

Coverage with the same waiver was priced very close to the policy from TravelInsured.

The main problem for us is that occasionally we need to get CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason), and getting that at the later date from CSA would add a lot more than adding that to the TravelInsured policy started earlier.

Of course, by the time of final payment (depending upon schedule), CFAR often isn't needed, as we'd already know about the possible work situation.

But yes, absolutely, one needs to read ALL of the terms/conditions.

That "fine print' can make or break a claim!

Steve (or his associates) at

www,TripInsuranceStore.com

are more than happy to explain/compare the terms of different policies, and also suggest the least expensive coverage that meets one's needs for that particular trip (such as a sick relative, or chronic health conditions, etc.).

He's occasionally suggested a less expensive policy than we had planned to purchase, and that's always a nice surprise.

Importantly, we've had two large claims from the TravelInsured polices we've purchased with Steve's help.

Both were paid promptly, with no bickering, and that IS what counts!

• 2 weeks later...

Last year when I purchased insurance through tripinsurancestore.com I specifically asked about that. We purchase the future cruise deposits on a Princess ship. We are not booking a specific cruise. I was told that because we were not booking a specific cruise the date would be the date I actually booked a specific cruise. Is this not correct?

Edited by dickinson

Last year when I purchased insurance through tripinsurancestore.com I specifically asked about that. We purchase the future cruise deposits on a Princess ship. We are not booking a specific cruise. I was told that because we were not booking a specific cruise the date would be the date I actually booked a specific cruise. Is this not correct?

Advise you check with the specific company, but that is the information I've always been given.

Thank you so very much for sharing your story!! Everyone always thinks 'it'll never happen to me" - and guess what, we never know what might happen, anywhere. The med-evac alone is worth having the insurance. Do you mind sharing what company your policy was through? I know you bought it through the cruise line, but what insurance agency was it?