Who do you buy your cruise insurance through?

I am about to make my final payment and was wondering if I should purchase the insurance through RCL or through a private company. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Recent threads on the subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2300485

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2317295

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2308733

I never use the cruise line insurance. It does not make sense to me to buy insurance from the people I am insuring against. I have used several different companies but cannot rate any because I have never had a claim.

I never use the cruise line insurance. It does not make sense to me to buy insurance from the people I am insuring against. I have used several different companies but cannot rate any because I have never had a claim.

I have always bought through the cruiseline (Disney or Royal) I am travelling or airline for overseas travel. (I never buy insurance for domestic trips, because I don't stand to lose much if something happens on those.)

My thoughts are that if an issue arises while on the cruise that requires the need for insurance, that there would be less hassle if purchasing through the cruiseline as they would know you had insurance and what your coverage was, etc. I understand that costs a little more than buying through other places, but honestly I have been fine with their prices and the peace of mind that having insurance allows me. Also the fact that there is some cancel for any reason built into their policy allowing you to keep a good portion of the $ towards a future cruise - that is nice to have.

Go to one of the online sites and compare policies. It takes some time, but it's the only way to know what you are being covered for.

Most of the complaints I see against travel insurers are because people didn't read their policies. They are all different and what is good for one person may not be good for someone else.

Edited by marci22

I go through insuremytrip.com to compare coverage and purchase.

I use this site as well.

Go to one of the online sites and compare policies. It takes some time, but it's the only way to know what you are being covered for.

Most of the complaints I see against travel insurers are because people didn't read their policies. They are all different and what is good for one person may not be good for someone else.

Yes! I always read through and make sure what I'm looking to have covered is included.

Check if your credit card company already offers "free" travel insurance. I had to cancel a non-cruise vacation (All Inclusive in Mexico) last year and my credit card company covered my expense via a 3rd party insurance company. My credit card is a Chase Marriott Rewards VISA.

Edited by rykaydad

Just a heads up. I remember a few years ago the Celebrity Millennium cancelled a sailing due to mechanical failure & while I guess X took care of people with regard to the cruise cost, a lot of ppl were out $$ b/c their insurance didn't cover mechanical failure. As a result, I always make sure the insurance I buy does include that; some policies do, some don't.

Check your personal Health Insurance for "out-of-country" coverage (we have BCBS FEP) and the credit card used to pay for the cruise (World Mastercard includes minimal trip cancellation and lost/delayed baggage coverage) and if both are adequate you may not need trip insurance.

Otherwise -- the "third party policies are generally less expensive and include higher and broader coverages than the cruiseline insurance; if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of cruise booking most include "waiver of pre-existing conditions" and tghe opportunity to purchase "cancel for any reason" optional coverage. You can research and purchase direct from most insurers sites, or via sites like insuremytrip that handle and compare many/most of the insurers.

USAA sells TravelInsured policies at a slight discount and with a few increased coverages, for USAA members.

Ken

Edited by Ken076

We've had terrific experiences with

http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

in terms of their assistance (especially when we were just starting to look into travel insurance) choosing among policies and types of coverages for our purposes, and also - importantly - when making CLAIMS.

We've used policies from TravelInsured, and had 2 claims, and used CSA once (no claim).

We ALWAYS get the waiver of the exclusion of pre-existing conditions, given our ages and health histories.

(That also sped up the claim processing, as there was no need for them to ferret through our past medical histories, as that was irrelevant).

And we agree strongly that most complaints here are because people didn't fully understand what was or was not covered, or how the claims process works.

We also have the annual plan from MedJetAssist, as that also covers us for all of our regular travel, as long as it's more than 150 miles from home.