Travel Insurance provided by credit cards

Hi everyone, this is not a Celebrity exclusive topic; however, we are booked on a Celebrity cruise and I was hoping that Celebrity experience cruisers may have information to share on this issue.

Through home and work insurances already in our possession, we are covered for health issues, life, stolen baggage and trip interruption.

The only element left, is trip cancellation, and I find it challenging to spend for that insurance, an amount equivalent to 20% of our cruise tickets. Now through our AMEX credit card, we have "trip cancellation" insurance, requiring that our whole trip is paid with the card. I am planning to pay our whole cruise with the card; however, our plane tickets were obtained through Aeroplan.

Question: Did anyone ever had to use trip cancellation insurance provided by a credit card? Any issues encountered or concerns?

I am just concern that the small print on the credit card insurance contract, could lead me to believe being insured, while we may not be.

Thank you very much for your help!

Did you pay for the Aeroplan ticket taxes with Amex? If so, they should be covered as well. If not, just the portion paid with Amex is covered. By 'trip' they would mean cruise if that was what was paid for with the card.

Hi everyone, this is not a Celebrity exclusive topic; however, we are booked on a Celebrity cruise and I was hoping that Celebrity experience cruisers may have information to share on this issue.

Through home and work insurances already in our possession, we are covered for health issues, life, stolen baggage and trip interruption.

The only element left, is trip cancellation, and I find it challenging to spend for that insurance, an amount equivalent to 20% of our cruise tickets. Now through our AMEX credit card, we have "trip cancellation" insurance, requiring that our whole trip is paid with the card. I am planning to pay our whole cruise with the card; however, our plane tickets were obtained through Aeroplan.

Question: Did anyone ever had to use trip cancellation insurance provided by a credit card? Any issues encountered or concerns?

I am just concern that the small print on the credit card insurance contract, could lead me to believe being insured, while we may not be.

Thank you very much for your help!

In the total scheme of things, trip cancellation is NOT really your concern, it needs to be on what if I or my family member needs to be evacuated from a port or even at sea, can I afford that transportaion? Will the 'coverage's' I believe I have, will handle up to $150k to get home or closest medical facility?

You may want to consider going over to the insurance board to read similar questions/answers there.

bon voyage

Read the fine print of your credit card policy. If in any doubt contact them and get an answer in writing. One should also not assume that all credit card policies are the same although many are underwritten by the same underwriters. Small differences in policies could end up costing hundreds of dollars because what is covered and acceptable on one policy may not be acceptable or covered on another. Different criteria also may apply to different countries honouring the same card. Many credit cards are franchised out to local banks and thus one cannot assume again what is acceptable in one country is acceptable in another.

In today's climate one needs travel insurance when cruising that will includes medical evacuation, travel disruption / interruption, terrorist cover, normal medical insurance and that the insurance will still cover you if a travel advisory against going somewhere is issued after you have taken out the insurance. Many policies these days are excluding countries whereby a govt in which the passenger is resident and taken out the insurances issues a travel advisory against travel to a particular country or places within that country.

I have a BMO World Elite credit card which covers me. Before this I used a Royal Bank Visa Preferred, also with insurance.

The health insurance is good only until age 65, so we have an annual policy separately. But, in the past, we have been reimbursed for Doctor's fees, etc.

For the first time, I have a dilemma.

We are covered up to $5000 for cancellation and trip interruption. Travel prices have increased, but insurance coverage hasn't. For our winter vacation, we will have prepaid air, hotel and cruise, all of which will add up to over the $5000 limit. I called the cc insurance and they are asking over $400 to cover $1600, which I find excessive. I will shop around.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Canadian Cancellation policies?

For the World Elite card, you have to pay only a portion of the trip with the card. Hopefully, it will work for you. It's a good card. They give double points!

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

Be sure to clarify what pre-existing conditions means. I had cancer 4 years ago & have CT scans every six months. I am cancer free:) and have been for 3 1/2 years however because I have the CT scans I must buy insurance immediately when booking or 90-120 days ( depending on the look back window)after a clear CT scan or we aren't covered. The devil is in the details.

We have AMEX through Delta which provides coverage for flights etc. and thx for the heads up on cancellations.

I'm going right now to read through the insurance info on AMEX site. We have 4 different AMEX accts, 2 personal and 2 business and currently charge every penny we spend to them, fly free everywhere. Good to know we have some form of insurance.

Edited by BecciBoo