LBG to SanPedro: SuperShuttle vs. PrimeTime - My Booking Experience

winnifer

My other half and I are taking the Grand Princess 15-day Hawaiian cruise out of the Port of Los Angeles in December, and for a first-time cruiser, let me tell you: navigating all of these options is a BIT overwhelming!

Deciding whether to come in the day of or the day before came down to the debate between possible delays and spending extra money on a hotel room. (I won: we're coming in the day before hehe)

Then to decide WHERE to stay. I tried for DAYS to find a place that had both shuttles to and from the airport and to and from the cruiseport, AND didn't cost an arm and a leg. We're traveling on a budget, so this was important. We did factor in that if there was a more expensive hotel that had shuttles available over having a cheaper hotel but having to pay to get there and back from the port, we'd consider value over cost. Let me save you some time: No such mythical place exists. (Finally settled on a cheapish hotel - Sunrise Hotel for $69 - with decent ratings that has a cruiseport shuttle but not an airport shuttle).

Next was which airport to fly into. I figured LAX, being an international hub, would have competitive flight rates, but Long Beach (LGB) is closer, so the taxi or shuttle would be cheaper. Ended up finding a great rate on JetBlue to fly into LGB, so that decision was made.

So now I have our hotel booked and our flight booked, and a way to get from the hotel to the port, but nothing decided for going from the airport to the hotel, or from the cruiseport to the airport. I did some research on the CC boards and the same three options kept coming up: Princess transfers, Super Shuttle and Prime Time.

I started with the Princess transfers, as plenty of people on the cc boards had said this would be one of the best options price-wise. $39. Per person. Per way. Total cost: $156 (IDK if there were any taxes or fees, as I put that on hold to look elsewhere).

Next top recommended on here was Super Shuttle. I looked online, put in 2 passengers round trip, and it quoted me $59. Hey, that comes out to $14.75 per person per way, which was plenty cheaper than Princess. Score! Went to book it and what the site didn't say is that is per way. I got to the end and it said $118! Hello bait and switch! I called and was told that's just how the system is set up and yes, the total would be $118 (so it was ACTUALLY $29.40 per person, per way). I pushed back, saying that this was NOT detailed on the website, and asked what the reservations clerk could do to adjust this to the price I was quoted. Sounding quite bored, she said there was nothing she could do but submit a complaint, and I should hear back from someone in a week or so. I had her do that.

I considered renting a car from Enterprise to get from the airport to the hotel, because the Enterprise dropoff location is next door to a fancy hotel two doors down from our hotel. Then I realized that between the cost of the rental, putting gas in it, and having to drive in an unfamiliar place with crazy traffic (I come from a town with four stoplights...), it wasn't worth it. Again comes down to money vs. value.

So then I went to Prime Time's website. Entered 2 people, round trip, and was quoted $30.40 each way. I proceeded with checkout to see what absurd total they came up with, but there was no total displayed before they asked for my Visa info. Whaaaa? No. I'm not falling for another bait and switch. I got online with the chat available to confirm total price and the chat rep told me the price displays once at the beginning and not again, and that's just the way it's set up. They said that price is for 2 people if that's what I entered. No actual, specific information provided. I asked if the chat rep could book and she said she couldn't. I asked if I could call to book (so I could confirm the price before giving my payment info), and she told me it would be a higher price because online bookings get 10% off. Well it says right on the 10% off banner that this does not apply to hotels or cruiseports, and I have both, so I called the reservations line.

I was able to confirm that yes, the price was $30.40 each way (though the second leg was $2 higher because we were coming from a different place than initial dropoff) which included both parties, meaning a total of $62.40, breaking down to $15.60 per person, per way. Way cheaper than SuperShuttle and way way cheaper than Princess.

I whipped my credit card out of my wallet so fast that I think it may have sparked a little... LOL :P I was so frustrated with everything from before and she lady, Blanca, was super nice. Excellent customer service. The only thing that was throwing me off throughout our conversation was for the airport-to-hotel leg she said "Arriving at Long Beach Airport" and I would reiterate "From Las Vegas, to the hotel, right?" and she would confirm. I guess the scripting is centered around your flight info, not the trip to the hotel/back. Once that was established, I could look past the wording. She was incredibly patient with me as I confirmed five different times that this was the complete total total charge, and not per person, and not per way. Nope. Total charge to me is $62.40, period.

We'll see how the actual experience with the shuttle is, but I gotta say, aside from the weird not-displaying-a-total-before-checkout thing, the booking itself was a nice relief! Saved a good chunk of money and that's money we can (and gladly will!) use in Hawaii!

Just wanted to share my experience in the hopes that perhaps another newbie out there could use the information! Happy cruising, folks!

Wendy,

I thought I had explained it in another post...but, perhaps it got missed in the volume of info and opinion...

The problem with Super Shuttle's higher prices in this instant is that you are flying into LGB...

Because LGB is so small an airport with so few flights, and because Super Shuttle's (PrimeTime's and every other shuttle company, actually, as well) model is based on filling up those shared shuttles, Super Shuttle just does not feel it can fill up an entire shuttle to take you from LGB to San Pedro at your arrival time...So, the quote you got was really based on a "dedicated" single user shuttle--as if you are the only ones being picked up...

Prime Time's much lower quote is based on filling all or a good part of a shared shuttle...They may get other bookings for this time...or...they may lose money taking just the two of you from LGB to San Pedro...

If they were going from LAX, the quotes for shuttles are lower across the board...because there are so many flights coming in at any time that they can always fill up the shuttles...

The biggest danger you may have is that Prime Time will stall actually getting you out of the airport--while they wait for other flights to arrive or other passengers heading down to the San Pedro area...OR...they may put you on a shuttle with others going to several other out-of-the-way locations...meaning a much longer trip to the hotel than if you just took a cab or a town car/limo service...

Of course, if the cost is more of a concern to you than the convenience/comfort/timing, you will be okay...

AND, you might get very lucky and they will send a van to pick you up only and take you directly to your hotel...

BTW, from the Sunrise, you may not even need a shuttle to the port...You will be right across the street from the far end of the cruise terminal parking lot...Of course, the shuttle saves you the walk, however short it is, and having to drag your luggage...

Come back and give us a review on the Sunrise.

Have fun...

Hi Steve!

Your info from the other thread was not lost on me; conversely, it was strongly taken into consideration while comparing cost and value/priority.

As you had mentioned, we did indeed note and confirm that the difference in price was dedicated vs. shared. The thing that makes this work for us so well is that are perfectly fine to share the ride, and had anticipated a shared ride being part of the experience. I considered posting on here to see if anyone was arriving on the same or a close flight and wanted to share the Super Shuttle, since it was the dedicated one, but really, after being so weary of things and just wanting to get the transportation and accommodations done and out of the way, I figured I'd try Prime Time and take it from there. :) It ended up working perfectly for our needs (and had MUCH better customer service :rolleyes:).

As far as getting from the airport to the hotel, we're not on any set timeline, so if we are on a shared shuttle and they have to stop several places, we're fine with it. And we booked a flight for 3 in the afternoon after a 7 am arrival back to the port, so accounting for customs and traffic, we're feeling pretty confident with the arrangement. We also have a day built in at the end of this vacation as a dedicated buffer in case something happens *knock wood*, just in case.

The choice of airport (as heavily influenced by a great sale on airfare) was also weighed against the cost of transportation for each. In the end, we decided to stick with the smaller airport, trading the much lower price and lower level of crowded insanity (hehe) for the convenience of the more easily-found shared ride.

I'll gladly do a review of PrimeTime and the Sunset after the cruise; thanks for the suggestion to do so! :)

I liked reading your post and analysis. My DH and I have recently started cruising out of California. We too have found excellent airfare flying into Long Beach. Earlier this year we took a car service from the airport to our hotel downtown. It was a fixed price and with tip we paid $30. For our next trip, I have not arranged transportation. I was thinking about doing the same service again. I am sure it will be more expensive since the hotel is farther away from the airport. Our hotel is closer to the cruise terminal and has a free shuttle to the terminal.

Enjoy your Hawaiian cruise!!

I posted & shared our bad experience in using Prime Time Shuttle when we did a Panama Canal cruise out of the port of Los Angeles in April this year.

We booked La Quinta Inn & Suites mainly because they had free shuttles to/from LAX. We were going to stay one night at La Quinta and use their free shuttles back to LAX on the embarkation day. We made an online booking with Prime Time Shuttle from LAX to the port for US$32 for the two of us. Prime Time Shuttle rang us about one and half hour before pick up time and told us that we’d be picked up from our hotel and would be charged an extra US$22. At first we thought there was a mistake on their part and tried to explain. They insisted that our booking was from hotel to port. When we told them we had a printed copy of their online confirmation and that we would go to LAX and be picked up from there, they said we would lose the US$32 we had already paid and would need to pay another US$32 to go from LAX to the port!

Using La Quinta’s free shuttles, it would only take 5 minutes to LAX. For a total of US$54, we could have paid for a taxi!

Prime Time Shuttle? Welcome to Los Angeles? Never again.

I also had a poor experience with PT and will never use them again. Long termers here have seen my story, but for Winnifer:

I had booked an exclusive vehicle with them to pick us at our house (we live about 50 miles away from the port) to take us to the port and then do the reverse two weeks later. got the email confirmation -- everything there correct. Got a phone message (as per the website), but a recording that our driver "was on the way" to pick us up. When the vehicle wasn't there at the time I had requested, I called them, was told the driver was at "the harbor" waiting for us. The dispatcher asked when was our cruise departure...but I insisted that I talk to a supervisor and insisted she get us a vehicle right away -- we weren't going to wait around a few hours because of their mistake and then stress out if there's another problem on their part. An hour past our requested time, we got a driver showing up.

Two weeks later, another recorded message. Nothing specific about where the driver was headed. I figured that surely they would be extra careful about getting our driver sent to the right place. Nope! Went to the shuttle area and I found their curbside rep. I showed him the email confirmation and he looked on his clipboard. Our name wasn't there. He finally got a vehicle for us (he was doing damage control with so many mistakes from his company that morning so it took a while) and called his office about it. The person he was talking to actually argued with him that we were supposed to be at our house where our driver was waiting. I was standing next to him and heard her emphatic words.

I was willing to shrug at the first mistake after we got on the ship. But to have the same mistake made twice on the same booking? Nope. So I can't recommend them.

For a first time cruiser you have to give Winnifer credit for doing her home work. Even if Prime Time is running behind there is always the back up which will be a taxi to or from the port. I had heard of a lady that flew in from the East coast and had a flight delay which put her at LAX past 10:00 PM. She had booked a Hotel and Shuttle package(LAX) from the Crown Plaza in San Pedro. Guess who the sub contract shuttle went to? It was Prime Time which apparently doesn't do pick up customers later into the evening hours? Anyway to make a long story short this lady got a taxi to San Pedro and once she got to the hotel she forced the Hotel to pay for her taxi ride. I don't blame her but this is what happens when big corporations sub contract work. You might make a couple of bucks but you will have some very mad customers in the process. I have used the park and shuttle package at the Crown and if all goes according will do the same this year. That package is a good package for someone driving into San Pedro.

If I am correct the Sunshine Hotel is about two blocks from the Crown Plaza. It is a pretty easy walk to the port from the hotel if you are in good health and light on luggage. It will be interesting to see how this motel works out. Tim

There is an arrangement PT has when it comes to airport shuttles. But I don't know if the company that advertises a lot (and they don't mention PT on their commercials) ends up using any other transportation services. Something like shuttles4less, I think.

If you are on the hook for charges, and if, for example, your private shuttle doesn't show up, then you're stuck waiting for them (or lose that money). Both PT and SS do have several vehicles that are at the airport so if you do prebook (which means you have authorized a charge), then you probably won't have a long wait for the next van of theirs that circles around. I would be careful with a late night shuttle though and maybe pay extra for an exclusive van. If you prebook for a pickup at any location other than the airports, you'll want to know the company is reliable. Some are less reliable than others.

Travaustralia - I would imagine there would be shuttles waiting, but as this is my first cruise I'd rather let someone who's had this experience answer this, to ensure accurate info for ya! Happy travels! :D p.s. when are you going? :)

Cruisin' Chick - thank you very much for your experience! I'll be on the lookout and if things go wrong, I will not hesitate to contact my credit card company; they're really good at sticking up for me (thank goodness!) but hopefully there will be no need and all will go smoothly. If it doesn't, well, we've already decided to make the very best of everything and see set-backs/disasters as challenges and adventures, all part of the story. Here's hoping we can keep that attitude in the midst of things! ;)

vivian02 - Thanks! I'm known for going overboard in my research of things, but I see it as being prepared. And if things go sour, things go sour. Cross that bridge if we come to it, and all :)

itil4get09 - Oh dear. Thank you for sharing, too! For sure, I'll keep my eyes open and either Chris (my bf) or I will not hesitate to chew someone out and make them make it right.

val92ag - Thank you so much! I figure this can be a learning experience if nothing else :)

At San Pedro there are plenty of taxis and shared shuttles available.

But will there be shuttles to Long Beach Airport or will they all go to LAX? Last time we boarded the shuttle from Carnival cruise at Long Beach, the driver did not want to go to Long Beach Airport. The rest of the shuttle people were going to LAX. The organiser told him to go to Long Beach Airport first. He was not happy. This shuttle had been prebooked and paid for on Carnival.

But will there be shuttles to Long Beach Airport or will they all go to LAX? Last time we boarded the shuttle from Carnival cruise at Long Beach, the driver did not want to go to Long Beach Airport. The rest of the shuttle people were going to LAX. The organiser told him to go to Long Beach Airport first. He was not happy. This shuttle had been prebooked and paid for on Carnival.

At worst you can take a taxi.

taxifarefinder.com will give you a good estimation of the cost.

Trouble with LBG is that it's a smaller airport.