New ships, Seabourn Quest vs O's Riviera vs Solstice

Kevnzworld

I cruise a lot, and I like newer ships. I used to cruise on O's sister cruiseline Regent. I switched to Celebrity's Solstice class because of ship design and amenities in 2012.

Now Celebrity's suite prices have doubled. I just finished a cruise on Seabourn's Quest and I loved it. No comparison to what I remember from my Regent days ( 5 cruises, on all ships including Paul Gauguin ) .

I'm considering booking a Caribbean cruise on the Riviera. For those that have sailed recently on either a Celebrity Solstice ship, or one of the newer Seabourn ships, I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments especially regarding food. Does Oceania have set menus in all restaurants? Do they ever change? Are they the same fleet wide without an actual ship " chef "?

Edited by Kevnzworld

i only was a guest on a celebrity for a ships visit in my hometown and we did receive a very decent lunch but it is not my style of cruising at all

far too big ...and alot of estra's to pay for

i did twice a caribbean cruise on the riviera and never again ...

in view to the side of the ship the food IS very decent especially in the speciality restaurants , the lunches in the MDR are rather average and last cruise the service in the main dining room was simply bad on O riviera

however if you are a wine lover a cruise on Oceania will cost you far too much money - onerous wine prices + 18 % service on it

i did 14 cruises on seabourn and i did like the quest - nice service - far more attention to details as on O : a smile is not synonym for an excellent service

service in the MDR is usually excellent on seabourn

the included drinks are very good on seabourn also the white wine - the red not so but i am very difficult:eek: for red wine.

i do not think menu's do change often on O however every year some new items are added and some others removed

maybe the breads are better on O , but i am not going on a cruise to eat breads and breakfast pastries

recently O did increase the amount of gratuities as well... included on seabourn + welcome champagne and two bottles alcohol in every cabin even the lowest degree

if you take a suite with a balcony - go to the seabourn !

you must take in consideration the difference in size as well ...

Have cruised in the Caribbean on Oceania Riviera Celebrity Reflection and Celebrity Equinox. You never have to pay extra for specialty restaurants on Oceania. I will say that I feel that the specialty restaurants is just as good as Oceania. The overall cruise cost is less on Celebrity than Oceania. I do like the size of the Riviera and also like the fact that there are no formL nights on Oceania.

your thoughts and comments especially regarding food. spouse & I are dedicated amateur wine & foodies - we have been *very* pleased with food on O on our 2 cruises. food is very personal, ymmv

Does Oceania have set menus in all restaurants? Do they ever change? specialty menus are set. For dinner, GDR & Terraces have a few 'core' selections that are available every night plus there are specials each night. The specials rotate through and repeat after a while (not sure -someone will know - maybe 21 or 28 days?). Don't forget that the grill at Terraces lets you choose lobster tail, etc. On the smaller R ships the GDR now has rotating selections from Jacques and Red Ginger nightly (these are the 2 specialty restaurants that are on O class but not R class ships).

Are they the same fleet wide without an actual ship " chef "? there is a fleet wide executive chef (owat=or whatever actual title), plus one onboard head chef (owat) and then a chef in charge of each venue. Most all food is prepared in a central kitchen; on O ships at La Reserve there are some dishes prepared or finished in a small kitchen adjacent to La Reserve (which offers 3 different set menus, one each on a given night, see other threads for lots more details

Have only cruised O twice, others with more experience will be able to offer additional details & insight! Didn't even touch on non-dinner meals... You will find some details on O's website. And there was a recent post with a link to some actual menus from onboard Regatta http://www.thepreismans.com/bermuda_regatta_menus.htm

There are definitely folks who much prefer GDR to Terraces, and vice versa. We enjoy both. GDR tends to be more traditional preparations, but very nicely done. You may have to book, taste, and report back!

Aside: one of the culinary educators told us that O's food budget per person for crew is higher than some lines' per person food budgets for guests.

Edited by babysteps
clarity

Just remember,,Seabourn allows smoking on balconies.STILL, did change from also allowing in cabins.But this is just as bad.

Love everything else about them,went on Sojourn and loved the food,service,etc.but NOT THE SMOKING.Sorry,but will NOT go on them again because of it.

Know its a HOT topic,but many agree with me.

On O I also liked the food,etc.and felt it was very near that of SB,but you DO have to get the beverage pkgs.if you enjoy wine,etc.Loved the specialty rest.

Have NOT gone on Celebrity because don t like mass market,large ,ships.Prefer luxury, or premium.But sure some like them.Dont like the crowds,etc.

Used to love Regent,but last on Voyager was so bothered by the VIBRATION,and refuse to go on that ship again.Did prefer Mariner,but now replacing tubs in many cabins.No way.

Every line seems to have good points,just have to weigh whats best for YOU.

Just remember,,Seabourn allows smoking on balconies.STILL, did change from also allowing in cabins.But this is just as bad.

Love everything else about them,went on Sojourn and loved the food,service,etc.but NOT THE SMOKING.Sorry,but will NOT go on them again because of it.

On O I also liked the food,etc.and felt it was very near that of SB,but you DO have to get the beverage pkgs.if you enjoy wine,etc.Loved the specialty rest.

Have NOT gone on Celebrity because don t like mass market,large ,ships.Prefer luxury, or premium.But sure some like them.Dont like the crowds,etc.

Used to love Regent,but last on Voyager was so bothered by the VIBRATION,and refuse to go on that ship again.Did prefer Mariner,but now replacing tubs in many cabins.No way.

They've modified the smoking policy on Seabourn somewhat from what some passengers told me in May. Personally I never noticed smoke really except for maybe once over a two week cruise.

It's not an issue on Celenrity

Celebrity is pretty good for what it is, the best of the larger mass market cruise lines. The newer Solstice class ships especially. They've priced themselves too close to the better smaller lines like Oceania though. ( Aqua class or suite ).

I am getting the beverage package on Oceania.

I'm a wine drinker, how is the wine by the glass selection? Wine is included on Seabourn and the selection was quite good and some moderately expensive ( at home ).

Celebrity also offers a beverage package, but their wines by the glass aren't nearly as good as those included on Seabourn. Celebrity now runs an endless promotion where the cheaper beverage package is included...

Kevn,

I've not partaken of the package (just ask Jim&Stan :D) but from what I've read it's a decent selection by the glass. You should find something you like.

But if you're like me and prefer to buy a bottle at mealtime (whether you drink it up in one gulp or stretch it out), then you might want to reconsider.

I'm not advocating either way! I prefer to buy from the wine list (or bring on my own) rather than being limited to the "by the glass" options ... and as I've made clear, I don't think I could never drink enough throughout the day to justify the package. That gets clearer to me as the price goes up!

(Just trying to give "truth in lending" as it were. I haven't posted on this subject recently ... or at least I don't THINK I have.)

Mura

One of my lasting memories from the Solstice is a loud performance in the atrium lasting till midnight (or beyond). Trying to fall asleep in my mid-ship cabin I could clearly hear EVERY SINGLE word of their songs.

I am sure this was enjoyed by many but for myself - never again. Why this "concert" could not have been held in one of their closed-door venues, I'll never understand. It is all well and fine in the early evening but not till midnight :confused:

If this is your cup of tea then cruise on the Solstice because you'll never see this on Oceania or Seabourn. Another thing you'll never see on the latter two are the long lines that I remember just about everywhere on Solstice.

Edited by Paulchili

I believe that Carnival, starting in October, has banned smoking on all their cruise lines, including Seabourn in cabin and balconies.

One of my lasting memories from the Solstice is a loud performance in the atrium lasting till midnight (or beyond). Trying to fall asleep in my mid-ship cabin I could clearly hear EVERY SINGLE word of their songs.

I am sure this was enjoyed by many but for myself - never again. Why this "concert" could not have been held in one of their closed-door venues, I'll never understand. It is all well and fine in the early evening but not till midnight :confused:

If this is your cup of tea then cruise on the Solstice because you'll never see this on Oceania or Seabourn. Another thing you'll never see on the latter two are the long lines that I remember just about everywhere on Solstice.

This is what makes us all different. The Solstice ships four story grand atrium, with bars and restaurants surrounding it, people on the railings watching while the band is playing in the lobby area with people dancing is what I luv best about Celebrity Solstice ships....adult evening life!

Now the food? not so great...

I have been on many Celebrity cruises, including Equinox European, and Oceana Riviera Europe. I have been on Azamara as well.

For us, its the quieter the better. We have just found that we like the smaller quieter ships. I probably would not go back to AZ (but thats for a whole different reason).

I might go back to Celebrity if there was an itinerary that they were doing that we just had to do. It a fine product.

The ships are just too big. I like the included non-alcholic beverages on O. We dont drink, so thats part of it too. THe beds are great. And I found I really liked the PAX mix.

So there you have my 2 cents.

This is what makes us all different. The Solstice ships four story grand atrium, with bars and restaurants surrounding it, people on the railings watching while the band is playing in the lobby area with people dancing is what I luv best about Celebrity Solstice ships....adult evening life!

Now the food? not so great...

Well - I think you have your answer :)

You will not see this type of "evening adult life" on either O or Seabourn. However, you will see better food. Your choice - better evening entertainment or better food :D.

Vive la différence!

Edited by Paulchili

but TBH we can't afford anything other than the TAs. The food, the ships (both types) and other passengers are just terrific!!!

We have never sailed on Seabourn...and doubt we will...only because we like to sail at least 3 to 4 times a year and we just can't afford their prices...and we just do "regular balconies"...not suites...so I can't help you there.

We sail on X as well...other than the TAs ....both the Solstice class as well as the M class.....we are "elite plus"...(I hate that term..but love the perks) and so that is a nice benefit for loyalty!! I think the S class is just about the right size and style for a "large ship"...we have never done any larger ship and won't...in fact we are booked on Equinox for the Xmas/NY Eve cruise this year...it should be a great time!!!

I think the food on O is far, far better than X...and agree that the quality has suffered lately on X. We had friends in suites on O and they are awesome!!! I can't imagine that you wouldn't love them!!! :D

Each of the 4 restaurants on the O ships are unique and have excellent food...and the Terrace Grill is awesome!!! The GDR ...for us...seems a bit slow and a bit "stodgy" ...but we do eat there once in awhile...

For us the new ships on O are just about perfect...but others prefer the smaller R ships...we like them all...!!!! Good luck with your choice...I'm sure you will love whatever you choose!!! LuAnn

O has excellent food, but you better look for yourself at wines by the glass. You can see choices on line on Oceania website. In our opinion, the white wine choices were weak, and not nearly as good as inclusive on Seabourn. We ended up buying bottles and moved them around the ship in bars and restaurants. We were really glad we had not signed up for the package.

Oceania allows you to bring your own wine and liquor on board that you can have in your stateroom. My husband does this all the time on Oceania (16 cruises with O). You can even bring your own wine to the restaurants and pay a corkage fee which I think is about $25. But at least you have your own wine.