Scared of booking private drivers in Colombia

Florida_cruisers

We have always booked private drivers on cruise ports that are not immediately in our city of interest, but these have all been in Europe. Due to the danger that Colombia faces against kidnapping, I am afraid to book a private driver.

Did anyone else feel this way?

My parents were on the canal cruise last fall and my Dad couldn't get off the boat due to health problems. My Mom, who is not well traveled, made friends with a couple of other ladies her age and they went off and hired a taxi on there on.

They said they just walked off the ship and there were people directing them to the taxis, they negotiated a price and were taken on a nice tour of the city.

I am going in a couple of weeks and plan to do the same thing, but perhaps interview a couple of drivers first to see who I am most comfortable with. If I find someone my gut say is o.k. I will ask them to show me the non tourist areas as well.

Have fun,

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

We booked a private driver and guide through Lee Miles for our short visit to Cartegena and were completely satisfied. He runs a very professional operation and although he is in the the gem business, we were never obligated to visit his store or listen to any sales pitch.

I would suggest that you visit his web site or e-mail him: Leland@misteremerald.com

to get a idea about his fees and tours.

There are plenty of taxis at the port but our report from other shipmates was that their English was not always understandable.

• 5 weeks later...

At the cruise terminal in Cartagena you need to be aware that there are independent tour guides (in white shirts and black pants, generally) and independent taxi drivers (in light blue shirts that have 'taxi taxi taxi' written all over them). Tour guides generally do not drive their own vehicles. Some tour guides speak good English; all know more about the history of Cartagena and can enrich your visit.

To get to the independent taxi drivers you need to go through the first hedge, where they are all drawn up, as they are not readily visible when you step out of the terminal building (aka "the big room full of shopping"). The taxi drivers normally do not speak fluent English, but can get by. They have had lots of experience.

Both the independent tour guides and independent taxi drivers there near the terminal building are vetted by the port, clearly identified, and safe.

We have always booked private drivers on cruise ports that are not immediately in our city of interest, but these have all been in Europe. Due to the danger that Colombia faces against kidnapping, I am afraid to book a private driver.

Did anyone else feel this way?

I guess if you are in fear for your life, it would be best if you booked thru the ship, or slept in. I was there last Wednesday. DW , myself, and a few other passengers took a private tour and we had a wonderful time. Had a driver and a guide. Beautiful city. Everyone else I spoke to that realized this is 2009 Colombia not 1985 Colombia had a wonderful time as well.

Not sure what this "kidnapping danger" is you are refering to. You are in a resort town, not hiking in the Central Andes.

I guess if you are in fear for your life, it would be best if you booked thru the ship, or slept in. I was there last Wednesday. DW , myself, and a few other passengers took a private tour and we had a wonderful time. Had a driver and a guide. Beautiful city. Everyone else I spoke to that realized this is 2009 Colombia not 1985 Colombia had a wonderful time as well.

Not sure what this "kidnapping danger" is you are refering to. You are in a resort town, not hiking in the Central Andes.

I was in Colombia with Andygoblue. I would go back to Colombia in a heart-beat! I loved it!

We booked a tour through Dora De Zubiria and had a great time with her!!

She is very knowledgeable and will take you on a great tour through Cartegena - both the old and new city. We highly recommend her. You can check out her website: http://www.cartegenatour.com. She will set up a tour to your needs and wants. We enjoyed Cartegena very much and would go back there anytime!:)

Archived