VOLLEYBALL on deck!

During a family reunion cruise aboard the RCCL Oasis of the Seas some years ago I was pleasantly surprised to see that on two of the sea days there was scheduled Adult Volleyball on the Sports Deck. Being an avid volleyball player I was thrilled.

I showed up to play along with 15 or 20 other, mostly 20-30 somethings, players. Since virtually all of us were experienced B and or BB players so we had a blast! One of the Sports Deck attendants organized us into three full teams and we played very competitive, tournament style for over an hour. We all were awarded medals at the end. What a great memory, especially watching the two Brazilian brothers ('A' players who had mercy on us..thank God!) pass the ball with their heads!!!

Unfortunately the second day of play was cancelled because a short rain had wetted the court......we were ready to play anyway but the attendants said no for "safety" reasons.

I will be on the Allure in October and I hope they have adult volleyball scheduled!!! Volleyball is such a big sport in North and South America, and almost everywhere in the world, so I don't know why it is not promoted more since more and more young people are cruising.

All you volleyball playes out there please ask for volleyball court time on your next post-cruise evaluation survey!

Hang the net and they will come...:D

Tom

Archived