Question re: flight from Venice

siouxsie

Hi everyone! My husband and I are taking our first cruise ever this year. In May, we are sailing on the Norwegian Gem out of Venice on a cruise of the Adriatic. I am in the process of pricing flights to and from Venice. Our ship returns to Venice at the end of the cruise and arrives there at 8 am on Saturday, according to the itinerary. Flights home from Venice seem to double in price if they leave the Venice airport after 1 pm that day. My question that I am hoping that some of you can help me with is whether the cruise really will have us off the ship by 8 am, or if it takes a while. I'd like to book a flight at noon, but I am not sure if I will have enough time to make that flight.

If not, we may just book a hotel in Venice from one more night and fly home on Sunday. It would be cheaper than the later flights. However, I would like to just go home that Saturday. I appreciate any advice or experience that anyone can share with me. Thanks!

Thanks! It looks like we will stay there that night. We don't want to miss our plane, and I am sure we will enjoy another night in the city.

Here are 3 of the best B&B hotels, pricey compared to US prices, but half of what the big hotels charge. Treat yourself and take a water taxi from your hotel to the airport. that way you can rest assured you will bo on time. Al Ponte Mocenigo, Locando Orseolo, Ca' Angeli

• 3 weeks later...

I am interested in knowing what how far away the airport is from the cruise port. We are booked on a cruise in July. We plan to do Venice before the cruise and would like to catch a flight home on the Saturday that our ship returns to Venice. The ship is due in at 6:30AM. What is the earliest flight you would schedule? Any advice from someone with experience would be appreciated.

Due in and disembarking are two different things.

The cruise port to the airport is about 35 - 40 minutes, once you are off the ship, have your luggage and are in a cab (this is ground transport, I have no idea how long water transport would take).

With a promised 6:30 arrival, I would not book a flight before 10:30 or 11:00 AM.

If your ship is due in at 8am, and there is no delay in getting to the port, docking and off-loading the luggage, you will most likely disembark sometime between 9am and 10:30am. Always allow for problems to arise, especially in the peak summer months. Strikes are very common in Italy during the summer.

Archived