Uniworld--how fancy?

MalibooNewYork

As I've said on other posts my bf and I have narrowed our choice between Uniworld and Viking. We realize that Uniworld is a boutique cruise but how fancy-schmancy is it? In looking at the dvd, cruisers are dressed to the nines, etc. We don't want to have to bring dressy clothes. The dvd has given us pause for thought as to whether we would fit in. Several years ago I specifically booked our Ireland tour because you did NOT have to dress for dinner. thank you.

My in-laws are NOT 'fancy' people and have been on 6 Uniworld cruises. They love uniworld. They wore jeans (and maybe khakis for dinner:p) and did not dress to the 9s at all. That's what they love most about river cruising- not needing to dress up.

(we had my in-laws over for dinner last night and have already starting working on my MIL for our December 2014 Christmas Market cruise, reminding her she'll need to bring appropriate clothing for the weather, and actual shoes - she HATES the cold and wants to wear sandals all the time -she's excited about the cruise but in COMPLETE denial about the fact it will be December in Europe ;-)

We have just returned from a Uniworld Budapest to Amsterdam cruise and the standard dress was exactly as the web site states, country club casual. I brought a couple of sport jackets and wore them a few times, Captains reception and Captains farewell dinner. I did wear a jacket to a classical recital in Vienna but many did not. Most of the time I wore a polo and slacks to dinner and was not out of place. My wife wore "fancy"blouses, (my description not hers), and slacks to dinner. Sometimes she would wear a jacket. i never saw what I would call an evening gown and do not recall seeing a man in a suit. At the Captains functions I did see a few ties, they were the exception not the norm. If a man did not bring a jacket on the trip he would never feel out of place. Same goes for women and long dresses.

My in-laws are NOT 'fancy' people and have been on 6 Uniworld cruises. They love uniworld. They wore jeans (and maybe khakis for dinner:p) and did not dress to the 9s at all. That's what they love most about river cruising- not needing to dress up.

(we had my in-laws over for dinner last night and have already starting working on my MIL for our December 2014 Christmas Market cruise, reminding her she'll need to bring appropriate clothing for the weather, and actual shoes - she HATES the cold and wants to wear sandals all the time -she's excited about the cruise but in COMPLETE denial about the fact it will be December in Europe ;-)

Interesting, my wife wears only sandals. We have a son that lived in Anchorage Alaska and she wore her sandals there at Christmas.

The people in the official Uniworld brochures, print media, etc are (probably) models, and are dressed way nicer than probably all of the people who were on our ship. I brought 2 dresses last time, and this year I'm considering not taking any at all. During the day it was very casual and although people cleaned-up a bit at dinner, very few jackets, some ties without jackets, some jackets without ties.

For ladies there was maybe a sparkly top on the fancier nights, but others just wore nice outfits -- more like Sunday church clothes.

Interesting, my wife wears only sandals. We have a son that lived in Anchorage Alaska and she wore her sandals there at Christmas.

We pretty much ended up saying "do whatever the heck you want but do NOT complain to us if you're cold/wet/uncomfortable" ;)

Not only does my MIL want to wear sandals all the time, she cannot abide cold. So if she were to wear sandals in the snow, she would be cold. I can handle cold far better than she can so I can wear less and still be comfortable. It's all about our internal thermostats.

Having been on a number of Uniworld cruises, all I can say is ...book it and enjoy it.

We did the Grand Christmas and New Year's Eve cruise which included NYE celebration in a Viennese palace with dinner and music and the Blue Danube waltz at midnight. The night of all nights to get dressed up. Everything from tails, tuxedos, long gowns, sparkly tops and dressy pants all the way to jeans, jumpers and hiking boots. No one was out of place...they were comfortable in what they had chosen.

The rest of time neat and tidy casual was the norm.

Just do it! :-)

Have to agree with the above poster...those pics in the catalog HAVE to be models....no one sits around looking so spectacular. I've been on 2 Uniworld cruises...got a little dressier on the captain's night, and my husband wore a jacket, but that is as dressy as it got. I never saw anyone dressed in a really fancy way.

I wore jeans, casual pants, T-shirts, polo shirts, casual blouses - never got dressed up. My only concession to fashion was to change shoes from my socks and walking shoes to loafers for dinner. Wore my walking shoes to breakfast and lunch though. My husband refuses to take a jacket and tie, but he did wear collared (i.e. golf) shirts. Not at all like an ocean cruise. We've been on both Viking and Uniworld, and slightly prefer Uniworld, but there's not a huge difference IMO, and I'm sure you will enjoy either.

Heading to the airport in a couple of hours for another Uniworld cruise. Po River this time. No jacket packed. No ties packed. No dress shirt packed.

For dinner; khaki pants and polo shirts and I am the norm.

Don't worry about advertising pictures. Nobody looks that good!!! Ever!!!!

We have been on a Christmas market cruise and I would not advise sandals! We loved it and will go back but I must warn you to look at temperatures! It will feel even colder because of the dampness of the rivers. Good boots, hats, coats and gloves are a must!!!

I'm not sure you caught the humor in my post, which was more about trying to convince my MIL to wear proper clothing because she is in denial about cold weather, which she hates. I always wear proper clothing for the climate and the activity;) I have lived in many different climates myself and have clothing appropriate for cold & warm, wet or dry.

Archived