Ncl Soda Cards Beware!

M&MCruisin

:eek: OK...I know its a topic discussed over and over, BUT...there is something that you should know before buying.

1. Soda cards are NOT $5.75 per day as their webside says.

2. They charge AUTHOGRATUITY in addition to the fee.

From the NCL website:

Unlimited Fountain Soda

Includes: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water, Soda Water

The entire cruise must be purchased. Non-Refundable.

Prepaid @ $5.75 per day per person x Cruise days

From the Cruiser: (me)

Ok math majors...lets do the math $5.75 times a 9 day cruise is $51.75, which is what I expected to pay, however, it was $60 some odd dollars plus autogratuity added in for a total of approximately $78 per person for the 9 day cruise. I cant remember the exact numbers as i am at work and all my luggage and junk is in the middle of my living room floor since I just got back late last night.

Now, for me, it was no big deal as I drink diet soda like water and I would have paid MUCH more doing it ala cart, plus I like the convenience of just flashing my card. Now my dh, on the other hand, did not get anywhere near his use of the card, but we did it for convenience only. I believe this is the highest soda card of all cruise lines...does anyone know that for sure????

Now, when I went to the financial desk regarding the discrepency...he looked at me as thought I was talking foreign to him and I got tired of discussing the difference in the soda card and didnt think it was worth the fight, so I gave up. Just thought I would bring you all in the loop so you arent surprised like I was.

:eek: OK...I know its a topic discussed over and over, BUT...there is something that you should know before buying.

From the NCL website:

Unlimited Fountain Soda

From the Cruiser: (me)

Ok math majors...lets do the math $5.75 times a 9 day cruise is $51.75, which is what I expected to pay, however, it was $60 some odd dollars plus autogratuity added in for a total of approximately $78 per person for the 9 day cruise. I cant remember the exact numbers as i am at work and all my luggage and junk is in the middle of my living room floor since I just got back late last night.

Now, for me, it was no big deal as I drink diet soda like water and I would have paid MUCH more doing it ala cart, plus I like the convenience of just flashing my card. Now my dh, on the other hand, did not get anywhere near his use of the card, but we did it for convenience only. I believe this is the highest soda card of all cruise lines...does anyone know that for sure????

Now, when I went to the financial desk regarding the discrepency...he looked at me as thought I was talking foreign to him and I got tired of discussing the difference in the soda card and didnt think it was worth the fight, so I gave up. Just thought I would bring you all in the loop so you arent surprised like I was.

I'm not sure if it works the same way anymore or not but it used to be you didn't pay the auto-gratuity (extra 15%) if you pre-purchased in advance from the ncl website. They have always included the extra 15% when purchasing on the ship.

I'm not sure if it works the same way anymore or not but it used to be you didn't pay the auto-gratuity (extra 15%) if you pre-purchased in advance from the ncl website. They have always included the extra 15% when purchasing on the ship.

that must be an NCL thing, because I didnt pay autogratuity on the Princess ship and it should be disclosed by the cruise line. That being said, I wouldnt have even thought to purchase online as it states a price, which I expected to pay. Not to mention the difference in price before gratuity. It was still more per day than they disclosed. Im not arguing with you, I think your idea is good, just think the cruise line should disclose the extra fee and post the correct price. But thanks for the suggestion... for my next NCL cruise...I will purchase online. I guess I send it to myself as a gift?

that must be an NCL thing, because I didnt pay autogratuity on the Princess ship and it should be disclosed by the cruise line. That being said, I wouldnt have even thought to purchase online as it states a price, which I expected to pay. Not to mention the difference in price before gratuity. It was still more per day than they disclosed. Im not arguing with you, I think your idea is good, just think the cruise line should disclose the extra fee and post the correct price. But thanks for the suggestion... for my next NCL cruise...I will purchase online. I guess I send it to myself as a gift?

I haven't tried the advanced purchase in awhile, but I used to order my daughters teen passport drink coupons in advance because if you purchase them on the ship you are purchasing them from one of the bars and all of the bar and spa receipts automatically include the 15% tip.

I guess we need to hear from some cruisers who have ordered them in advance recently to see if this is still the case.

I did notice the 15% additional tip is mentioned on some of the spa services, but it's not mentioned on the drink packages under the bon voyage gift section.

Might be something new...the extra charges. Did you purchase it before you left Miami. I was once told there was a tax unless you waited to go out to sea. Cup was included in the price until a few years ago so now we bring one from our collection at home.

Call me cheap, but I think the cost to purchase a soda card is still to expensive. I bring my (sugar free) mixs from home and just make me a picture each day. Especially since I am a diebatic...I cannot fill up on juice and hate the taste of diet soda...so tea and my homemade drink for me. I save a bunch that way.:D

We just got back from a 7-day, and it was 40.25. That comes to 32 sodas. For my husband it was worth it, but not for me, so I payed a la carte. Just be sure to do the math so you know if you will drink that many cokes! I bet a LOT of people don't end up drinking that many!

We just got back from a 7-day, and it was 40.25. That comes to 32 sodas. For my husband it was worth it, but not for me, so I payed a la carte. Just be sure to do the math so you know if you will drink that many cokes! I bet a LOT of people don't end up drinking that many!

That is what we paid last year...and we got to keep the coca~cola cup which was a great thing to bring home for the kids...It was WELL worht the money for us to do it!!!!

How much are they a la carte?

From the NCL website:

Unlimited Fountain Soda

At the bottom of that NCL webpage iit says:

* All prices are subject to change without notice

* A 15% gratuity will be added for all massages and wraps

So it seems that only massages and wraps should have the gratuity added from the many listed items above on that webpage.

Question: The a la carte charge for sodas is still $1.50?

So if some of you did infact get $5.75 per day, then I should at least get credit there. (although its not worth the trouble to call and the finance man on board blew me off) I dont agree with the autogratuity for soda cards, but at the very least they could have charged me the $5.75 per day like advertised. Like, I mentioned...be cautious as they charged me differently. I was in port, but I also bought a spa package in port and they did not charge me autogratuity for that.

Should have paid for 9 days:

$ 5.75

$51.75

I paid approximately for 9 days:

$ 7.50

$67.50

+10.15 gratuity

$77.65

If I recall correctly, our bill for 2 was around $155. I can get over the autogratuity as I do get them to bring me drinks by the pool sometimes, but the incorrect pricing is inappropriate. I know I sound really angry, but I am not. We had a fantastic cruise and I was happy to drink my soda in great volume! I just want others to be aware that the price is not what is advertised and that is a big issue with me. We pay ENOUGH for cruises, right????

Oh...an forgive my typo in my original post....AUTHOgratuity! LOL!:D

I drink a ton of diet coke so this might be something I need to check on. We are on the Dream for 12 nites in May. Is it only fountain drinks or can you get cans also? Is it only at certain places on the ship? Can you get it in the restruants also? Do you get a special cup or can you take your own? Thanks for the help. Vicki

I drink a ton of diet coke so this might be something I need to check on. We are on the Dream for 12 nites in May. Is it only fountain drinks or can you get cans also? Is it only at certain places on the ship? Can you get it in the restruants also? Do you get a special cup or can you take your own? Thanks for the help. Vicki

It's supposed to be fountain drinks only, but they will give you a can if that's the most convenient thing available where you order it. You can get the drinks pretty much anywhere that they serve drinks (on-deck, in bars, in restaurants, in the buffet, in the showroom, in the lounges, etc.).

Just back from the Star. Paid $48.50 w/ no tip for the soda card. A can on board was $1.75 plus gratuity, about $2. I like mine 1/2 diet coke and 1/2 soda which the bartenders would call out as a diet and diet after I approached a second time.

Having been a bartender, and knowing that they only get paid from the tip pool, I always slid them $1 if I came back more than once and told them to call their girl/boy friend with it or to "have a beer after work". (Crew beer costs them $1 below decks.) Did the same with many of the hostesses, waiters and the cooks. Got many smiles and excellent service.

Maybe the type of service in the spa was not taxable? I want to say that some of that Xtra may have been for the cup if you got one. The price of the cans really can't be compared to the sodas from the card since the can holds a lot more. My problem is that I only like Root Beer and sometimes they don't have any on the ship and if they do I can't get it on the soda card.

Going down a day early so I'm hoping that Hubby will let me run in a store along the way to get my soda. Maybe he'll have to stop for something he forgot (or that I remove) from his luggage? Plan B is to drop his tootbrush someplace where he won't want it back. :D

Maybe you were charged for three cards????

$5.75

x9

x3

$155.25

Thats an interesting thought....hold on....I just ran to get my receipt, since I am home now...

It says Soda...2x77.75. I inquired when they gave it to me and he said, no...that is the price, not the $51.95 I was expecting, so that is why near the end of the week, I inquired with the finance person and it didnt do any good. There isnt anything about a tip on the reciept, but when I when to talk to the finance person, that is when she showed me something he printed that had the tip on it. We did not get any cups with it. My other family members, went to different stations and were also charged this amount.

Also...on the Pearl, most of the bars took a Canned drink and poured it into a glass and REFUSED to give me a whole can. I tried at several locations and they kept saying...no...I gave you a bigger glass. No big deal, I just had to get up and get a refill. You can get the sodas at the restaurants if you show your cruise card with the coke sticker on it.

Rootbeer...Im pretty sure my husband got that some. Not all the stations have complete sodas to choose from, but Im pretty sure he got some during the week on the soda card.

This is my one peeve about NCL. Providing soda cannot cost much per person, and they should just add that price to the cruise and offer it to everyone. I know everyone else except Disney does it, but it still pi___es me off.

I thought the cost was $3.75 per person per day, so I was shocked when the cost for our 5 night cruise on the Pearl was $43.15 PER PERSON!!! Luckily we boarded early, so we got off and bought 5 12 packs for $20. It lasted the whole time and we saved about $140. We were quite happy!

This is my one peeve about NCL. Providing soda cannot cost much per person, and they should just add that price to the cruise and offer it to everyone. I know everyone else except Disney does it, but it still pi___es me off.

I thought the cost was $3.75 per person per day, so I was shocked when the cost for our 5 night cruise on the Pearl was $43.15 PER PERSON!!! Luckily we boarded early, so we got off and bought 5 12 packs for $20. It lasted the whole time and we saved about $140. We were quite happy!

Try taking your own soda into any other restaurant, or bringing your own beer into any other bar, and you'll probably will get tossed out.

Sure, you can buy sodas for much less at any 7-11 or grocery store and bring it aboard. Chill it, add your own ice, even frost your own glass. But you are doing all the WORK. You are serving yourself.

The soda cards are for those who wish to have many sodas SERVED to them, where they happpen to be at that time: the Stardust Theatre, Dazzles Nightclub, any Restaurant, Swimming Pool, etc.

It's not the answer for everyone. For heavy soda drinkers, the soda card saves money compared to ordering them individually.

Thats an interesting thought....hold on....I just ran to get my receipt, since I am home now...

It says Soda...2x77.75. I inquired when they gave it to me and he said, no...that is the price, not the $51.95 I was expecting, so that is why near the end of the week, I inquired with the finance person and it didnt do any good. There isnt anything about a tip on the reciept, but when I when to talk to the finance person, that is when she showed me something he printed that had the tip on it. We did not get any cups with it. My other family members, went to different stations and were also charged this amount.

Also...on the Pearl, most of the bars took a Canned drink and poured it into a glass and REFUSED to give me a whole can. I tried at several locations and they kept saying...no...I gave you a bigger glass. No big deal, I just had to get up and get a refill. You can get the sodas at the restaurants if you show your cruise card with the coke sticker on it.

Rootbeer...Im pretty sure my husband got that some. Not all the stations have complete sodas to choose from, but Im pretty sure he got some during the week on the soda card.

Sounds like you should be calling NCL Customer Service and bringing this to their attention and asking for a refund - the sooner the better! On the 2 NCL cruises that I have been on, I haven't been charged the autogratuity on the pop-card.

Geesh, the amount of money you were charged you should have been given the coke container.

The bar tenders will not give you a can, only a glass of pop, or they will fill the Coke container with a can, or from the fountain.

Good luck!

We paid $1.25 per soda on the Pride of Aloha -- tip not included. I forget the exact cost of the card, but I think it was around $35. We didn't purchase it because we were on shore everyday and didn't think we would drink that much on board (we were right!). Incidentally, at the Atrium Bar midship deck 7, they'll give you the can for that price.

Me, I'm glad they don't include soft drinks for free. It would jack up our cruise price too much -- have you seen the prices on the cruises that include free alcohol?