Sydney/Meriton Apartments Options??

TLCOhio

As we are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice 14-day sailing, departing to Auckland/NZ, we are considering our pre-cruise options in Sydney. Plus, we are also planning some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor.

We are looking at options with Meriton and/or another comparable apartment, central location that would have laundry options to catch up, be ready for our cruise after the GBR and KI stops, have room to relax, etc.

In comparing Meriton's four central Sydney locations, they seem to be in the same general areas. I have been looking at 95 Liverpool Street, 329 Pitt Street, 528 Kent Street and 6 Campbell Street. All of their buildings seem fairly nice and new. Which location and/or apartment set-ups do you like better or best? Any other insights, tips, reactions, suggestions? Which is closest to good neighborhoods, handy public transit, areas with more character, charm, interesting walking-around experiences to get a nice, fun sampling of Sydney?

Or, any other such locations/apartment operations you would suggest to consider? Location trade-offs of being at these Meriton locations versus something closer to The Rocks, cruise docking place, etc.? We might be with one or two other couples from central Ohio, so a larger two or three bedroom unit could be fairly cost-effective for the two or three nights prior to our cruise.

THANKS for the help and insights! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 119,098 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi Terry in Ohio,

With just a very quick look at all the locations on a map - my picks would be either the Kent St one, or the Pitt St one. These are just that little bit more central and an easy walk to Darling Harbour. They are close to trains and buses and are on the monorail line, Queen Victoria Building is very close, Hyde Park is just up the road and it is only a 15 minute walk to The Rocks and the Bridge.

The other two are more "at the end of town". Very close to Chinatown so very interesting and lots of great food. Also close to the Entertainment Centre and the markets. Easy walk to Darling Harbour.

We stayed at the World Tower maybe about 7 years ago - it had just opened - and lots of backpackers were staying there too which surprised us there are many backpacker hostels in that area and we hadn't expected them to stay in an apartment complex....but at that time there were great opening specials for the apartments....so not sure if World Square remains popular with backpackers.

Hi Terry in Ohio, With just a very quick look at all the locations on a map - my picks would be either the Kent St one, or the Pitt St one. These are just that little bit more central and an easy walk to Darling Harbour. They are close to trains and buses and are on the monorail line, Queen Victoria Building is very close, Hyde Park is just up the road and it is only a 15 minute walk to The Rocks and the Bridge. The other two are more "at the end of town". Very close to Chinatown so very interesting and lots of great food. Also close to the Entertainment Centre and the markets. Easy walk to Darling Harbour. We stayed at the World Tower maybe about 7 years ago - it had just opened - and lots of backpackers were staying there too which surprised us there are many backpacker hostels in that area and we hadn't expected them to stay in an apartment complex....but at that time there were great opening specials for the apartments....so not sure if World Square remains popular with backpackers.

Hi. I really don't like Meriton properties - the clientele is a real mixed bag of permanent residents, short term rentals and sub lets. I worked in the building next to the Liverpool St one and my company had dealings with the occupants. I certainly would not recommend that one. If you really want to stick with Meriton, the Kent St one is probably the best. Other properties you might like to research are the Breakfree chain. Also, the Quay West can sometimes have attractive rates. If you are willing to use public transport I can also recommend the Mantra at Chatswood. Its about a 15min trip into the city or closer in, the Vibe hotel at North Sydney - the 1 bedroom suites would be great for a short term stay

Stuartm: I have been staying at the Kent St Meriton twice a year for the last 5 or 6 years and have no complaints. It is close to all amenities and the transport options are excellent. Every apartment has a washing machine and dryer. The apartments are right on the edge of Chinatown so there are lots of restaurants and shops to explore. It is also only a 5 minute walk to Darling Harbour. In light traffic a cab to the dock would only take around 15 mins but Sydney traffic is rarely light. The Liverpool St Meriton is only half a block from the Kent St property. I've not stayed there but the only thing I know is that the rental apartments start on a high floor so you MAY get good views. Their website shows some pretty amazing two bedroom apartments on the top floors but I guess you pay for the view. I stayed at the Pitt St Meriton once. It is a couple of blocks closer to the centre of the City but I wouldn't recommend it. cheers Stu

packetau: Around the rocks area is a nice place to stay ..... That is old sydney...... You are also close to circular quay where you can jump on and off a ferry to manly' date=' the zoo, the opera house is there along with botanical gardens and rail station to get else where..... Darling harbour is walkable or you can get there by water.... The hop on hop off bus will get you everywhere else including bondi beach [/quote']

rugbypopsie: The Grand Mercure apartments in Darling Harbour have 3 bed room apartments....wonderful views of the city lights and quite convenient to get around to the Quay and the Overseas Passenger Terminal. They are not cheap but if you were sharing they are not too bad.. Sue

6andy6: If your looking for a 'serviced apartment' as we call them down here with a bit of luxury and a position that cannot be beat for location' date=' then try the Pullman Grand (part of the Sebel chain who also operate Quay West which I saw mentioned in another posters comments). The Pullman Grand is right on the boardwalk that leads between the railway and ferries at Circular Quay and the Sydney Opera house. Apartments look either onto Circular Quay, the Harbour Bridge and across to the OPT where the Solstice will tie up, or the apartments at the back look onto the Royal Botanical Gardens (obviously the harbour view ones are more expensive). Each apartment whether its one or two bedrooms have a laundry. However, they are not the cheapest serviced apartments out there but its a trip of a lifetime hey!!!!

http://www.mirvachotels.com/pullman-...sydney-harbour

In the link I gave you you their website, the Pullman Grand is the white building on the right hand side of the picture and you can see the OPT on the far left (with no ship in). [/quote']

Appreciate so much this info above from annenic. I am also sharing added info, options and potentials from other Aussies on another board to consider for early 2014 during our time in Sidney. I will BOTH copy this info to my laptop trip file AND am sharing these ideas with those on the roll call for our cruise. Will share any and all added comments, experiences, etc.

Keep it coming!! Very helpful.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 119,248 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi Terry,

Have you considered staying on the north side of the bridge rather than in the city? These apartments could be the go. This is a beautiful area right on the harbour with great views of the opera house, the bridge, etc. http://harboursideapartments.com.au/

Quay West apartments are fabulous but also very pricey (stayed there and loved it) - not sure what your budget is. Grand Mercure at Darling Harbour is a good choice for accommodation and is pretty convenient location.

Following are some links to apartments I consider to be in good locations:

http://www.mantra.com.au/new-south-wales/sydney-and-surrounds/sydney/accommodation/hotels/mantra-2-bond-street/

http://www.adinahotels.com.au/medina-serviced-apartments-martin-place/hotel?gclid=ckgcsjwfr7ucfupcpqodyigayw

http://www.theyorkapartments.com.au/

This should give some food for thought....happy searching :)

And here is a link to Wotif map of city with apartments noted and includes special deals. (if the link works)

http://www.wotif.com/hotels/australia-sydney-apartments.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry, for our March/April 2014 Australia & NZ cruises, we are planning on staying at the Meriton Apt on Kent, just waiting on their dates to open. Our longest stay will be from April 1 to 10 following our NZ cruise and before our 18 day Transpacific. Right now their dates are open thru Feb so they should be opening up next month I hope to book ourselves there. I am however for our 2 days NZ pre cruise considering a hotel for the 4 of us. We will come out far better with the 4 of us in a 2 bdrm apartment for those 9 days then in a hotel.

Gay

• 3 months later...

I have stayed at most of the meriton apartments. Some more than once.

The Kent st ones are fine but do be aware they tend to suffer some street noise if on lower floor Darling harbour view, less noise higher up and minimal noise for no view (city).

Some of the apartments are getting a bit tired but that can be luck of the draw, none have been refurbished. One thing to check is whether or not you will be able to open the balcony. Periodically they have restricted access to balconies due to OH&S.

If kitchen is a key consideration I find them to have cupboards that are way too high (bottom shelf) however I am on the smaller size. The one bedroom is very spacious. I have never used the pool area there as I haven't had time.

i much prefer Campbell St for a couple, you have the free 555 bus across the road, the light rail around the corner and Central Station just up the road. The apartments are also much newer.

My next choice would be World Square as it is also well located for the diversity of areas. It can also have some amazing views and tends for some reason to be a bit quieter. Not sure why.

I'm not a big fan of staying/eating in Darling Harbour, it tends to be more of a tourist only zone with inflated prices to match.

if taking transportation into consideration please be aware that the monorail is closing/closed Both Pitt St and World Square properties may experience some noise due to monorail removal.

Often with meriton it just comes down to what the prices are on offer.

Terry;

We're ahead of you, going on the 11/4/13 Solstice OZ/NZ cruise. In comparing prices between the Meriton Kent and Quay West, we saw about a $200 USD difference per night for a 2 bedroom unit. We opted for the Quay since, "What the hey, we're in Australia!", came to mind. In other words, this is a bucket list trip. Amortize it out over how many years you need to justify it, then do it! :D

Hi Terry, we are staying at the Meriton Apartments on Pitt Street for both our March 17 to 19 New Zealand Pre cruise stay and again following the cruise for 9 days before we disembark for our Transpacific. There are 4 in our family so took the 2 Bedroom Sky view and to compare a two stay for the 4 of us vs the HI Old Sydney, for two nights, was $1130 vs $1500. Because of our extended stay of 9 days, it worked out better for the 4 us to have our own laundry facilities and means of cooking our meals over eating out. We seem to be close to train stations, restaurants if we choose to eat out etc plus they offer free Wi fi a must for our daughter and SIL.

Mrs Waldo from the Pitt Street Location how would we get to the Central Station. Hugh recommended the Hawkesbury River Mail Tour and we would need to go Central to Newcastle to Hawkesbury River Lines. This will be our first trip and we really don't have much in the way of rail systems in California.

Gay

Town Hall Station is quite close so go and buy the ticket there. Catch a train to Central, it's the next stop.

Change at Central for the Interurban lines. That means exit the train to the back (the end with the lifts), go down the stairs and turn left. You then need to go up again to the platforms (you can see them to your right as you pull in)

You would then get the Train to Brooklyn. They aren't flash but they do have toilets. No allocated seating etc but heading out in the morning they shouldn't be too crowded

http://www.cityrail.info/timetables/#landingPoint

• 4 months later...

Archived