Renting a car vs uber

colesc15

I posted this on the Florida board and didn't get much..

We land in Fort Lauderdale on Thursday afternoon and have a hotel in Miami for the night and getting on Navigator Friday morning. Flying into Fort Lauderdale is two of us and 4 bags. We were going to originally take an uber which was going to be roughly 40 dollars. The next morning my wife and myself along with the other 4 at the same hotel was going good to take a shuttle or uber to the port which would be roughly $60.

My question.. For about 65 dollars we can rent an suv which would be slightly cheaper than the uber/shuttle. Would you rent the suv? We'd bring it back to their airport location Friday morning and have them shuttle us for free to the port (all 6 of us). The hotel we're staying at has free parking. Which option would you choose and why?? Like I said, I posted this on the Florida board but didn't get much

I posted this on the Florida board and didn't get much..

We land in Fort Lauderdale on Thursday afternoon and have a hotel in Miami for the night and getting on Navigator Friday morning. Flying into Fort Lauderdale is two of us and 4 bags. We were going to originally take an uber which was going to be roughly 40 dollars. The next morning my wife and myself along with the other 4 at the same hotel was going good to take a shuttle or uber to the port which would be roughly $60.

My question.. For about 65 dollars we can rent an suv which would be slightly cheaper than the uber/shuttle. Would you rent the suv? We'd bring it back to their airport location Friday morning and have them shuttle us for free to the port (all 6 of us). The hotel we're staying at has free parking. Which option would you choose and why?? Like I said, I posted this on the Florida board but didn't get much

Not in a million years would I go through all that to save next to nothing. SAS will transport you to your hotel in Miami for $15pp. Taxi to port less than $25 total

Uber is obviously way cheaper and better than a taxi in South Florida. No need to rent a vehicle, what a nightmare that would be. Navigator is out of Everglades, right? Why would you go to Miami for the night?!?

Uber is obviously way cheaper and better than a taxi in South Florida. No need to rent a vehicle, what a nightmare that would be. Navigator is out of Everglades, right? Why would you go to Miami for the night?!?[/quote

No navigator is out of Miami

Uber is obviously way cheaper and better than a taxi in South Florida. No need to rent a vehicle, what a nightmare that would be. Navigator is out of Everglades, right? Why would you go to Miami for the night?!?[/quote

No navigator is out of Miami

Then why would it be $60 to uber to the port in Miami if you are in Miami? Typo? UberXL still wouldn't be $60 from within Miami to the port. I can't imagine fitting 6 people along with all that luggage in any rental or uberXL though. Where are you staying in Miami? From the downtown area, it's about a $5 uberx trip to PortMiami.

For two adults and 4 decent size roller luggage bags, would we fit in am uberx??

Yes, you can easily fit that in an uberx. I have fit large trade show displays and multiple roller bags in an UberX with 2 adults. You would stack 1 or 2 on one side of the back seat. One person rides next to luggage, one up front. We do it all the time.

We're renting a car in about a week and a half!

It was very much cheaper to fly into Miami than Ft Lauderdale so we fly into Miami at 5am on Sunday morning. We have a hotel in Ft Lauderdale for Sunday evening and then we board the Serenade late Monday morning/early afternoon. For 4 people + luggage for a total of 13 days of travel it made the most sense for us, especially flying into Miami and needing an approx 30 mile uber to our hotel. We also got a killer deal on a rental car, less than $50 after taxes/fees.

I as/was considering the same thing. We are sailing Freedom in April and staying at the Ramada Airport/Cruise port.

4 adults, 1 child and probably 5 bags. Flying into FLL a day early and were going to rent a van but I think it might be more of a pain....But would one Uber handle us or better to split the group and get 2?

Not sure where you are planning to stay in Miami, but if you are in the Miami Beach/South Beach area most hotels charge an exorbitant amount of money to park overnight.

Also, at FLL airport where do you go to get an uber once you request one?

You will select the airline you arrived on when requesting the ride. Once the driver is assigned, I usually text the door number for easier pickup.

I've done this several times when I've flown into FLL and had a Miami cruise. I have to disagree about it being a hassle, especially if you join the free customer loyalty programs that almost all rental companies have now so that you can go straight to your car without standing at the counter.

We like the drive from FLL down to Miami, especially if you take the coastal route so you can see all of the big homes and yachts parked. Having the car also gives us some precruise freedom in last minute shopping or sightseeing. Last, most car rental companies that have returns at the Miami airport offer a free shuttle to the cruise port. You can google the ones that do pretty easily.

You will select the airline you arrived on when requesting the ride. Once the driver is assigned, I usually text the door number for easier pickup.

Some sections of FLL arrivals are off limits for Uber pick ups, so one may need to walk a bit to get to a pick up area.

We typically rent a car, but this depends on whether hotel has free parking. Many in FLL area charge $20 a night. Sometimes we do our local shopping and drop the car off at the hotel. We wouldn't stay in Miami for a Ft Lauderdale flight/cruise but if we did we would probably rent. Not sure you can get six people and luggage into a typical SUV, though.

Request the UBER Black Car those are the larger SUV's.

HI James, my group of 4 with approximately 9 pieces of luggage were considering an Uber. Would this work for us? I have never used Uber before. What the of car do I request . Thank you!😀

Similar question. Five people plus cruise luggage, probably five to six suitcases and five carryons. Uber XL or two Ubers? If the answer is two, hotel shuttle becomes cheaper - and maybe easier. Only going about 3 miles. Shuttle $6pp

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Decided to rent a convertible. It's about half the price of uber and we can then drive along the ocean and check out south beach Saturday night. The idea of taking a convertible in the Florida sun when we haven't hit 50 degrees in 4 months sounds wonderful

Decided to rent a convertible. It's about half the price of uber and we can then drive along the ocean and check out south beach Saturday night. The idea of taking a convertible in the Florida sun when we haven't hit 50 degrees in 4 months sounds wonderful

Hopefully you rented with a reputable agency. :eek: