What is LAbadee

banshee72

OK...I know its a private beach owned by RC, but is it an island? Is it just an area that is fenced off from the rest of Haiti? Can you get to the rest of the island easily? I you do, is it dangerous? Also, does the drink packages work at Labadee? How many places are there that you can get a drink? More than one beach bar I'm assuming?

Labadee is a penninsula, not an island, so a portion of it is connected to Haiti. There are several beaches, not all available to all cruisers. YOu can't depend that every bar will be open. The bar with the best view which is up above the Dragon's Breath area is not always open. It hasn't been open the last few times we have been to Labadee, but we do enjoy sitting there in the breeze and enjoying the view.

I have never considered Labadee to be dangerous. That said, several years ago Mariner of the Seas chose to miss the port call because of political unrest in Haiti. That is the only cruise I have been on that skipped Labadee.

You can get drinks pretty much all over Labadee because, besides the bars and kiosks, there are guys walking around with trays selling drinks, especially the famous Labadoozie.

I don't know if the drink package works on Labadee.

That's right...it's a beach on Haiti leased by RCI. You cannot leave the fenced off beach area, and no "locals" can access it....it's safe.

It's just like being on the ship...where you charge things to your cabin. Yes...the drink packages work on both Labadee and Coco Cay.

Sorry, but NO you cannot visit the rest of the island easily. The only people that I know that have even ventured outside of the beach areas, were those that visited the Royal Caribbean sponsored school, and even that was difficult to arrange.

if you search for Labadee using Google Earth you'll find a very good view of RCL's Labadee area. You can also see the town of Labadee about 1 mile to the south. You'll possibly note the lack of much in the way of roads .... welcome to Haiti! The nearest town of any size it Cap Haitien. Only about 3.5 miles as the crow flies you must go up and over quite a sizable mountain. I've done it - in a 4 wheel drive vehicle - it took about an hour - it was steep and narrow. I was not the driver - he was very experienced with the route . . . it was what one used to call "an E ticket ride"

In the 80's a few cruiselines visited Cap Haitien as a port call. This is actually when RC aquired the Labadee property and began development. Unfortunately Haiti went 'down hill' around this time and RC abandoned development for a number of years. I visited the property during this time by driving to a resort in the town of Cormier about 1/2 the way 'tween Lab' and C-H, then continuing by boat to the town of Labadee, passing the partially completed compound along the way.

I believe if you take the Zip line excursion you have to leave the beach area, but that would be with the tour.

Also if you do the wave runners which is a tour you venture miles away from the beach area. There are several other excursions offered by RCI where you leave the fenced in area.

the wave runners and kayaks and snorkel take you away from the immediate Lab' area but will not have you 'go ashore' anywhere

the zip line takes you up the mountain but you are still in the compound

reviewing the current offering for Labadee excursions there are 3 that leave the compound area specifically for sight seeing. One is just look-see from a boat and two are to nearby resorts:

Discover Haiti Coastal Cruise - QLB3

OVERVIEW: Enjoy a narrated cruise along this spectacular coastline and learn of this country's rich cultural history. HIGHLIGHTS: View breathtaking landscapes, beautiful reefs, a shipwreck and the Citadel on a catamaran ride. ... Throughout your voyage you will view, by sea, breathtaking landscapes, beautiful reefs, a shipwreck, Amiga Island, coastal villages,

Haitian Cultural Tour at Paradise Cove & Beach Break - QLB0

- Overview: This tour allows you to learn more about Haitian culture and people of Haiti while also spending some time at an idyllic beach. Meet a local fisherman, visit a typical rural Haitian home and a local artisan shop. - Highlights: Relax and sunbathe along 121 meters of beautiful beach. See exhibits onsite that give you an understanding of Haitian culture and people of Haiti.

Located a short water taxi ride away from Labadee is Le Village at Paradise Cove. This private location offers 121 meters of waterfront with an idyllic beach and scenic overlook that rivals any in the Caribbean. It has a natural drop-off, well suited for playing and basking at the water's edge. At the base, behold a cool freshwater spring that has created a natural lush grotto tucked under a canopy of tropical flora.

Upon arrival, you'll have the opportunity to directly go to the beach or follow your guide to discover the rich cultural history that the people in Haiti are proud to demonstrate. Meet a local fisherman displaying the tools of his trade and showing off his catch of the day. Traverse a natural freshwater pool on a small bamboo bridge to the village where you will have an opportunity to interact with the locals. Visit a typical rural Haitian home and its important "Lakou" (courtyard) where daily and social functions take place. View their cooking techniques, handmade children's toys and natural materials used to build their homes. See how Haitian peanut butter is processed and how coffee and the orange peel are prepared for exportation to France. Your guide will also give you an overview on the religion of voudou and how it has played such an important role in their lives. Many other exhibits onsite will give you an understanding of the culture and people of Haiti. A local artisan shop is available for those special souvenirs.

After the tour of the village, you will descend to Paradise Beach. Floats and chairs will be available beachside. A welcome drink from the beach bar is included. Relax in the water or sunbathe before your water taxi ride back to Labadee. Complimentary rum tasting, use of snorkel equipment, and kayaks will be available.

Castaway at Malfini - QLB5

OVERVIEW: Experience the feeling of being miles away in your own personal paradise at Malfini, a privately owned beach. HIGHLIGHTS: A twenty minute boat ride will take you to a privately owned beach with pristine white sands, hidden in a remote cove surrounded by lush tropical vegetation where you can relax and enjoy a complimentary Malfini Punch. Visit the unique Canoe Bar and have our bartender fix you a special drink (bring cash).

Also if you do the wave runners which is a tour you venture miles away from the beach area. There are several other excursions offered by RCI where you leave the fenced in area.

The wave runners tour was like the Coastal Cruise when I did it. We saw all that including the Citadel from the sea. By the way they are supposed to be working on doing an excursion to the Citadel someday.....

• 2 weeks later...

That is a great picture of Labadee. For us who have enjoyed the port, we can pick out our cabanas and all of the beaches. It also gives a good prospective as to how compact the area is with the ship to compare it to. Thanks for posting it.

It's kind of sad though to see the town just to the south, obviously very poor.

Must suck to live there and see the cruise ships everyday. We must seem so rich to them.

Oh well I'm very thankful to be on this side.

• 2 months later...
OK...I know its a private beach owned by RC, but is it an island? Is it just an area that is fenced off from the rest of Haiti? Can you get to the rest of the island easily? I you do, is it dangerous? Also, does the drink packages work at Labadee? How many places are there that you can get a drink? More than one beach bar I'm assuming?

A comedian on my cruise on the Independence of the Seas summed it up: "Playland ends at the electric fence in Labadee."

It's a fence off area. you can not get to the rest of the island. Yes the drink package works on the island. Just remember that the souvenir cups/glasses are not included!! I believe there are 4 bars (maybe 5?) through out the area!

Archived