"Chinese" food needed onboard

I don't know about the rest of you, but my wife and I always say when we are onboard (usually around 1 a.m.) "you know what would be good right now? Chicken fingers." Now I did put the Chinese in quotations because I know that chicken fingers,boneless spareribs and the like are Americanized foods. That being said anyone else ever think that RC should get some of these tasty snacks onboard?

Actually I read the title and thought--wow, someone who thinks like me.

I wish there were more oriental offerings. I am not fond of Izumi and do not eat sushi. One of the things I loved on the Celebrity Mercury was a stir fry station at lunch. :D

I look forward to the Singapore noodles on the MDR menu. [i am sure if you are from Singapore they are not what you are used to--but, I love them]

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Actually I read the title and thought--wow, someone who thinks like me.

I wish there were more oriental offerings. I am not fond of Izumi and do not eat sushi. One of the things I loved on the Celebrity Mercury was a stir fry station at lunch. :D

I look forward to the Singapore noodles on the MDR menu. [i am sure if you are from Singapore they are not what you are used to--but, I love them]

I always get the Singapore noodles when I see it on the menu. I have seen it on the dinner menu, and it's also available when the MDR is open for lunch (although they offer alternating menus, so you might miss it). Singapore noodles are like pasta, everyone has his own variation of it.

While I am not a huge fan of the Windjammer, I have found fairly decent Asian food at lunch. I wish they would offer even more. :)

Edited by travelgoddess1

I'll pass on the chicken fingers and spare ribs, but a stir fry station would be great. The last time I cruised, they were testing out some Asian dishes which were all pretty good, as the Voyager was transitioning to China. I'm not sure if any of those menu items stuck though.

Hi All:

Coming from Vancouver, Chinese food is an art form here and I do miss it when we cruise. That said, what's suggested is an 'american' version of Chinese and not at all like the real thing. I would enjoy the appetizers too though, count me in.

We have had won ton rolls and spring rolls on board but I think they must be from frozen, they're usually pretty sad. Often on the menu in the Diamond or Concierge lounge with bottled plum sauce. And sometimes they do honey garlic wings. If you don't have lounge privileges you wouldn't see them, they don't seem to end up on the dining room or Windjammer menus.

I haven't seen any "real" Chinese food on a cruise with the exception of Congee which is a rice porridge and, I can't remember which ship/cruise that was. It is common to serve for breakfast. It wasn't very good congee either.... but like Scots porridge, it doesn't improve when you sit it on the buffet heater for hours so I think that's pretty expected.

I have had excellent Indian curries on board though. On our last cruise on Radiance we had lovely curries daily both in the dining room and Windjammer with lovely crisp Pappadums and raita. We last cruised on Legend and when I asked about curries was told the ship tries to take consideration of the nationalities present so if there were large South Asian presence then there is curry. On that cruise we had some very nice Malay dishes in the Windjammer and, sadly, few partook. It wasn't communicated so folks didn't try, they were shy of something they didn't know.

We have had Mongolian BBQ in the windjammer for lunch at least once on each of our last 4 cruises.

On the Legend last spring, lunches in Windjammer on port days always featured 3 regional dishes made by chefs, featuring their own home country cuisine. We had some of the best foods we have ever gotten onboard from those sections--I wish that was standard.

We have had Mongolian BBQ in the windjammer for lunch at least once on each of our last 4 cruises.

On the Legend last spring, lunches in Windjammer on port days always featured 3 regional dishes made by chefs, featuring their own home country cuisine. We had some of the best foods we have ever gotten onboard from those sections--I wish that was standard.

I sure wish they had done that when we were on LG in November. I never saw anything like that, and I always look for different and unusual offerings. (Of course, the REAL priority was trying to find a place to sit.)

Edited by travelgoddess1

I sure wish they had done that when we were on LG in November. I never saw anything like that, and I always look for different and unusual offerings. (Of course, the REAL priority was trying to find a place to sit.)

I only ever used the WJ on LG for breakfast (occasionally lunch)..... first ship where I'd felt claustrophobic in a WJ.... they sure needed that outside seating....

Edited by NorbertsNiece

They did not do it this May either (and I think it was on our Legend cruise last year, might have been Serenade . . .)

Guest maddycat

When we sail on the Explorer, Mongolian BBQ is always available in the Windjammer for dinner. It's a favorite of ours.

Edited by maddycat

We have seen Mongolian BBQ in the Windjammer for dinner from time to time.

Mongolian Stir Fry is definitely worth having dinner in the WJ. Since there is a variety of Stir Frys offered, we usually ask the WJ Chef for a list of when the different Stir Frys are going to be prepared during the cruise.

Real chinese fares are not easy on a cruise ship as the cook will need big strong open flames and it should be cooked a la minute.

The westernised version is just csnnot compare, so RCI please don't even try. Better to stick to your western menu, but real western.

On the other hand, I agree with the two previous posters who suggested dim sum.

Yes, yes, YES, dim sum will be great! (and can be made on board).

Edited by anandaindonesia

Mongolian Stir Fry is definitely worth having dinner in the WJ. Since there is a variety of Stir Frys offered, we usually ask the WJ Chef for a list of when the different Stir Frys are going to be prepared during the cruise.

Thank-you for the tip, that's a good idea.:)

I don't know about the rest of you, but my wife and I always say when we are onboard (usually around 1 a.m.) "you know what would be good right now? Chicken fingers." Now I did put the Chinese in quotations because I know that chicken fingers,boneless spareribs and the like are Americanized foods. That being said anyone else ever think that RC should get some of these tasty snacks onboard?

Mariner of the Seas room service have the best Steamed Dumpling.

there are on request in the MDR.

I always get the Singapore noodles when I see it on the menu. I have seen it on the dinner menu, and it's also available when the MDR is open for lunch (although they offer alternating menus, so you might miss it). Singapore noodles are like pasta, everyone has his own variation of it.

While I am not a huge fan of the Windjammer, I have found fairly decent Asian food at lunch. I wish they would offer even more. :)

Coming from Singapore, we don't find the Singapore noodles to be great. In fact, Singapore noodles is pretty much a foreign invention. Ha!

Real chinese fares are not easy on a cruise ship as the cook will need big strong open flames and it should be cooked a la minute.

The westernised version is just csnnot compare, so RCI please don't even try. Better to stick to your western menu, but real western.

On the other hand, I agree with the two previous posters who suggested dim sum.

Yes, yes, YES, dim sum will be great! (and can be made on board).

Yes, good chinese food needs a flaming wok, to get the 'wok hei'. You need an open flame for that. See this picture.

2iuz4eq.jpg

Not sure if it is safe to do this on a ship. Open flames!

Dim Sum is possible, but I don't think they would make it onboard. Likely to use frozen stuff. On the Legend of the Seas out of Singapore, the Park Cafe usually served steam paus after 9pm. All from frozen, but the quality is getting better these days.

See the video for the dinner offerings on Adventure of the Seas Windjammer cafe, during our recent cruise out of Southampton, UK.

On this evening, there were a good number of asian-styled choices. I thought the overall selection was decent. Makes me hungry!