Star Flyer - Tahiti - Beginner Questions

scotlady1

HI! We are thinking about Star Flyer for our 25th anniversary in May 2009. Neither hubby or I have ever been on a cruise (just day sails on catamarans, etc.).

First, I read in a post here that someone had their cruise for June 2008 cancelled because someone was chartering the ship. Does this mean if we book far in advance we are in danger of having to move our vacation?

Second, with it being our 25th - would like to get the best cabin we can on the ship. I notice the category 1's are on the main deck. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these cabins - does their main deck location cause any problems with noise?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers!

I had cabin 504 on the Star Clipper(sister to Star Flyer) back in the fall for the SB SE Asia cruise. My cabin was very noisy early in the am when the crew was working with the sails and ropes. My neighbors in 506 had the same issues. However, the people with the Cat#1s on the upper deck near the pool said that they hardly ever heard anything. So, my advice to you is get a Cat#1 but try for the upper deck.

In spite of the noise, I really enjoyed my experience on the Star Clipper. It was my first time with Star Clipper line but my twenty-something cruise over the past 10 years.

Hi

We have just come back from this cruise and we had a wonderful time despite the weather and rough seas. We were in cabin 341 having been upgraded from a cat 3 and it was fine size wise plenty of room for two people to get changed without continually bumping into each other! I preferred being on the clipper deck because when you were in port you could see out commodore deck is below the dock. However someone told me it was better to be on the lower deck if you get sea sick. I wouldn't bother to pay the extra for the cat 1 cabins as they open directly onto the deck you have to keep your curtains closed and I think for the time you spend in your cabin it's not worth the extra money better to spend it on a pearl. It was our 25th wedding anniversary and they made it very special the staff are brilliant, we did think we would be in Bora Bora for it but they changed the itinerary due to other cruise ships being in the area at the same time. Unfortunately the weather was pretty awful for the 1st two days I think something to do with a cyclone, in Bora Bora it rained continually for the whole day most of the trips were cancelled and our moods were pretty low having said that the rain did stop about 5pm and we were treated to one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen. I would strongly advised you pack a good rain mac just in case. However after Tues the weather picked up and on Wed our anniversary we spent it on an island and had a beach barbie brilliant. We have not really cruised like this before and I can honestly say I had the best time ever, it is so emotional when they haul the sails up and turn off the engines. I will never go on a big cruise ship it is my 50th next year and am already saving for Asia. Hope this is of some help

We have just come back from Star Flyer and do thoroughly recomend it

We have previously travelled on Princess and felt Star Flyer did these Islands far more justice

don't book cat 1 - not worth the money . cat 2 and 3 the same only on different decks, but book early like we did and get 331 or 332 for a good price

food really good as was the service

showers a bit iffy but everything fine as little time was spent in the cabin other than sleeping

Met Barnacle Bob and Lesley and lots of other wonderful people (loads of different nationalities on board)

Will be booking again for a cruise from Athens to Venice next year

We had excellent weather throughout and use the ribs to take you out on private snorkelling and swimming trips

Do they do a beach bar-b-que on the 7 day cruise....not the paid excursion thru an outside vender. I've read several reviews that included this, but I think they were on the longer cruises.

Also, did either of you do any diving?

Thanks! We're down to 2 1/2 months:D

Mike

Hi Bob and Lesley

Not sure yet- winced at the price a bit! However, relfecting after the cruise it does now see like a dream - quite wonderful

Lost our bags on the way home which was good - had them couriered to our house the next day

I will e-mail you in a minute

Archived