Cruise in January 15 in Europe

swixpat

Hi everyone

I'm looking for a cruise on one of the European rivers in January 2015. I know this is short term, but the option has only appeared yesterday in the conversation over dinner.

I've done a general search, but cannot find anything for mid January. It looks like the boats all go in hibernation.

Would any of you kind souls be able to direct me to a boat that cruises mid to late January 15. I would only need the cruise and no land portion.

Many thanks

swixpat

swixpat,

Don't know of European river cruises in January. There are Christmas cruises in December.

Why go in January, most river cruises in Europe start in March or April.

Central Europe in January involves cold weather and very short days (gets dark around 5pm).

Not the best time to sightsee, unless you prefer cold weather.

I have never seen river cruises that begin in January. We are embarking on 12/28, which is the latest we have ever sailed. It happens to be the week DH's workplace shuts down for the holiday so timeframe works for us. And we loved our NYE in Europe a few years ago and look forwarding to celebrating this one in Germany!

Edited by caviargal

Hi everyone

I'm looking for a cruise on one of the European rivers in January 2015. I know this is short term, but the option has only appeared yesterday in the conversation over dinner.

I've done a general search, but cannot find anything for mid January. It looks like the boats all go in hibernation.

Would any of you kind souls be able to direct me to a boat that cruises mid to late January 15. I would only need the cruise and no land portion.

Many thanks

swixpat

No river cruises in January because it's cold, wet and gets dark at 3:30. You can, however, get great hotel rates in very expensive cities because there are NO tourists.

The weather is not propitious for river cruises in Europe in winter. You will probably find that you will not be able to book a last minute river cruise at any time of the year. Because the ships are so small, typically between 150 and 200 people, cruises get booked up months out.

A lot of river boats go in for dry dock or other maintenance in Jan and Feb, coming out to begin cruising again in mid-March (or thereabouts). The March cruises we took had very mixed, lion and lamb, weather; layered clothing was essential.

Last minute cruises are a possibility as long as you are really flexible as far as time and itinerary. We picked up a last minute Rhein, Main and Danube cruise (8 day notice) in September a few years ago. I have seen similar cruises advertised since then and friends did a late May Seine cruise last year on about two weeks notice. Significant savings can be had with these last minute deals.

Hello,

mid to end January is not an option at all, I think. Ships are in docks for maintenance and the crew have a well-earned rest. I do not know of any European cruises past 10 January (end date). However, there might be a few ending later.

From my experience as a person living close to a river I would not go on a river cruise before the End of March, anyway. New Year flooding and Springs floods very likely before that date, greatest risk of your river cruise being cancelled or turning into a bus trip!

If you are interested in a river cruise at the beginning of January try Arosa: http://www.a-rosa.de/en/river-cruises/index.html

notamermaid

After heavy rain yesterday the valley is grey and overcast but dry today.