Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
- Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Princess Cruise Deals
- Write a Princess Cruise Review
- Find Your Princess Roll Call
See posts about:
Caribbean Princess
Diamond Princess
Island Princess
Royal Princess
Sun Princess

Coral Princess
Emerald Princess
Ocean Princess
Ruby Princess
Star Princess

Crown Princess
Golden Princess
Pacific Princess
Sapphire Princess

Dawn Princess
Grand Princess
Regal Princess
Sea Princess

Old July 16th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Port strike at Los Angeles port of San Pedro?

How will a strike at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach affect the cruise ships.

Here is article:

BY ALEX VEIGA, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 14 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Negotiators for a clerical union and some of the world's largest shipping lines and terminal operators were still far apart on a contract deal early Monday and facing the possibility of a strike that could cripple the nation's largest port complex.

The union's strike deadline passed at 12:01 a.m. Monday.

An hour later, John Fageaux Jr., president of the office clerical unit of Local 63, a division of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, emerged from the closed-door session firm that if talks with shipping lines at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach collapsed, the union would strike.

"We're in the process of presenting our last, best and final offer," he said.

Steve Berry, lead negotiator for the 14 marine terminal operators and other firms who employ the office clerks, said the parties were still talking shortly before dawn. He wouldn't say if any progress was being made or predict a timetable for ending discussions.

"We're working hard. We just keep going," he said.

A work stoppage could create ripple effects throughout many industries that depend on timely movement of cargo. It also would come as the ports enter their busy pre-holiday season, when shippers depend on the facilities to handle imports.

The 15,000-member ILWU has indicated it will honor picket lines, which would effectively shut down the neighboring ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. The port complex accounts for 40 percent of all the cargo container traffic coming into the United States.

The roughly 750 clerks who work at marine terminals at the ports handle bookings for the export of cargo and other transport documents.

Under their most recent contract, full-time, port clerical workers earned about $37.50 an hour, or $78,000 a year. They also receive a pension, health care benefits free of premiums and 20 paid holidays a year.

Berry said late last week that employers' latest offer included raises that over the life of a three-year contract would bump the employees' hourly pay to $39.20; the union is seeking increases that would equal $53 per hour by the last year of the contract.

In 2002, longshore workers across the West Coast were locked out for 10 days over a contract dispute. The shutdown cost the nation's economy an estimated $1 billion to $2 billion a day.

Old July 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Under their most recent contract, full-time, port clerical workers earned about $37.50 an hour, or $78,000 a year. They also receive a pension, health care benefits free of premiums and 20 paid holidays a year.

Berry said late last week that employers' latest offer included raises that over the life of a three-year contract would bump the employees' hourly pay to $39.20; the union is seeking increases that would equal $53 per hour by the last year of the contract.
And they want more..
What a country..

Future Cruises: Star Princess January 2015, Star Princess April 2015, Golden Princess August 2015
Completed Cruises: Coral Princess (11),
Star Princess (6), Regal Princess (old) (5), Golden Princess (4), Caribbean Princess (4), Dawn Princess (3), Grand Princess (3), Sky Princess (2), Fairwind (2), Ruby Princess (1), Sapphire Princess (1), Island Princess (1), Fair Princess (1)

Old July 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I agree with Larry - that is disgusting. Unless I am mis-understanding this, they do administrative type work and they are paid $78,000!?!?! UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Completed:

Crown Princess (6)
Sapphire Princess (5)
Diamond Princess (3)
Grand Princess (3)
Star Princess (3)
Sun Princess (3)
Caribbean Princess (2)
Island Princess (2)
Coral Princess (1)
Dawn Princess (1)
Emerald Princess (1)
Golden Princess (1)

Old July 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Last December there were pickets going into the Port of LA...is this the same thing or another strike?

Already done! 12 Princess cruises, 1 Carnival cruise!

Crown Princess Southern Caribbean November 26, 2011--Sapphire Princess Coastal 5/11--Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean 11/10--Carnival Elation Mexico 7/08--Star Princess Alaska 5/08--Golden Princess Mexican Riviera 12/07, Coastal 9/07 and 9/10--Coral Princess Coastal 9/07--Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean 4/07--Diamond Princess Coastal 5/08, Mexican Riviera 12/06--Dawn Princess Coastal 9/06,

Old July 16th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Does it cost that much for an eighth grade education that they need this kind of money to pay off their student loans?

Ron

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiran View Post
Does it cost that much for an eighth grade education that they need this kind of money to pay off their student loans?

Ron
Ron,

You figured it out!!! Thanks for solving the mystery! I had no idea that the LA schools were so impressive. LOL!

Completed:

Crown Princess (6)
Sapphire Princess (5)
Diamond Princess (3)
Grand Princess (3)
Star Princess (3)
Sun Princess (3)
Caribbean Princess (2)
Island Princess (2)
Coral Princess (1)
Dawn Princess (1)
Emerald Princess (1)
Golden Princess (1)

Old July 17th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

The baggage guys make about the same amount and you still tip those guys when they take your luggage at the Cruise Port?

Old July 17th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

True story ! A couple of years ago we sailed out of the Port of Los Angeles. We came from LAX on a shuttle bus with about 14 other passengers. We handed our bags to the baggage handler and in the confusion we failed to tip him. When 3 of our 4 bags failed to arrive in our cabin we contacted the front desk who in turn took us to a loading area on the ship. We found our bags and discovered he had ripped off the luggage tags. We now feel bad for not tipping because really, how is a guy supposed to live on $78,000 a year ? Shame on us !

Old July 17th, 2007, 09:16 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARRTrain View Post
The baggage guys make about the same amount and you still tip those guys when they take your luggage at the Cruise Port?
Only in America!
Caribbean Princess 1/08
Crown Princess 4/10
Crown Princess 2/11
Emerald 9/11
Caribbean Princess 11/12
Crown Princess 4/13

Next up:
Ruby 4/14
Regal Princess 11/14
Regal Princess11/14

Old July 17th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

I agree that $78000 seems like an outrageous amount to most of us... at least in the midwest where I live. But, don't forget... a little tiny bungalow home out there costs probably seven times what it does in a small town in the midwest.

As far as that baggage guy ripping luggage tags off, thats just terrible! Reminds me of a time I mis-tipped a waitress. My dad had just had surgery, and after all that stress my mind apparently wasn't all there... my brother and I grabbed breakfast one morning on the way to the hospital. When I paid the bill, my brain added wrong and only tipped her 10% (thinking I was tipping 20% because she was fantastic). I didn't realize it until days later, and I felt TERRIBLE!

Back to the original topic, has anyone heard anything? We are leaving on a cruise on 8/1 from LA, and are worried how it will affect us. I called Princess and they told me it shouldn't affect the cruise portion - just the commercial side of shipping. But after reading these boards, and how people call Princess and get three different answers to the same question, it makes me wonder.

Old July 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Don't forget...it seems they also get FREE insurance, a pension, AND 20 paid holidays a year!

If those 20 paid holidays include vacation then that is ok, but if not, did you know there were 20 holidays in a year?

I never knew luggage people got paid that much. I thought they worked for close to minimum and depended on tips to survive...like wait people. Interesting.

Old July 17th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by misika View Post
I agree that $78000 seems like an outrageous amount to most of us... at least in the midwest where I live. But, don't forget... a little tiny bungalow home out there costs probably seven times what it does in a small town in the midwest.
Totally agree about the cost of living out here. I live in San Diego. But there are a lot of people with more education and skill and they make a lot less money than these guys do!! And those folks have to have homes too. Amazing to me that these folks are so well paid. Maybe there is something I am missing with their required skills or education!?!

Completed:

Crown Princess (6)
Sapphire Princess (5)
Diamond Princess (3)
Grand Princess (3)
Star Princess (3)
Sun Princess (3)
Caribbean Princess (2)
Island Princess (2)
Coral Princess (1)
Dawn Princess (1)
Emerald Princess (1)
Golden Princess (1)

Old July 17th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

The group that is in bargining is the Office Clerks at the terminals/ports. It is not the Longshoremen's Union. The clerks make $78,000/yr with 20 holidays a year and no cost to them for medical coverage.

If they go on strike then the Longshoremen's Union will honor the strike. Will that affect the cruise ships?

Old July 17th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
The group that is in bargining is the Office Clerks at the terminals/ports. It is not the Longshoremen's Union. The clerks make $78,000/yr with 20 holidays a year and no cost to them for medical coverage.

If they go on strike then the Longshoremen's Union will honor the strike. Will that affect the cruise ships?

An hour later, John Fageaux Jr., president of the office clerical unit of Local 63, a division of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, emerged from the closed-door session firm that if talks with shipping lines at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach collapsed, the union would strike.

The clerks belong to the same Union, it is all the ILWU.

Old July 17th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

You are right the clerks are a part of the ILWU, a separate division but all of ILWU would honor the strike call by Local 63 which is the clerical workers.

Old July 17th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spingal View Post
I agree with Larry - that is disgusting. Unless I am mis-understanding this, they do administrative type work and they are paid $78,000!?!?! UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where can I get a job llike that??? Ill relocate!!

Old July 17th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by teripp View Post
Where can I get a job llike that??? Ill relocate!!
Just move to the LA area and get on the Union Hall's Casual Hire list. You work your way up the chain.

Maybe you can find the info on their outdated website. Not many updates on their site.

www.ilwu.org

Old July 17th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

I cruise out of San Pedro last time there was a strike-we had no problem, but all the cargo ships were sitting out at sea waiting for the strike to be over.

Old July 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory2020 View Post
I cruise out of San Pedro last time there was a strike-we had no problem, but all the cargo ships were sitting out at sea waiting for the strike to be over.
That must have been quite a sight!!!

Completed:

Crown Princess (6)
Sapphire Princess (5)
Diamond Princess (3)
Grand Princess (3)
Star Princess (3)
Sun Princess (3)
Caribbean Princess (2)
Island Princess (2)
Coral Princess (1)
Dawn Princess (1)
Emerald Princess (1)
Golden Princess (1)

Old July 17th, 2007, 08:22 PM
5,000+ Club

Longshoremen do not effect the Cruiseline business....although located at the dock and unless the ship is a cargo ship cruising, should not notice any changes.

And, the porters who work at the docks do not receive these exorbitant salaries....depending on their senority they may make between $8.00 and $12.00 per hour. I knew someone who made $18.00 before tips.

I got this information from our doorman, here, who once worked at the cruise docks. He said they also "pooled" their tips so everyone would receive something. Due to some cruise folks who didn't tip at all!

So, to think that these gentelmen/women who help at the docks are living the life of luxury....don't believe it! They work very hard for their wages! And earn every cent they get!