Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > SeaDream Yacht Club

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

SeaDream Yacht Club Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Diving off the railings?

When the swimming from the aft platform lamp is lit, can you dive off the railings from the pool deck? Wouldn't be very yachting if you couldn't

Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think either (or both) Disney Jen or CTBJR know a story about a slightly inebriated passenger attempting the stunt in the Caribbean but I'm not sure how it turned out.

Old October 2nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Stunt?

Diving from the rails or the mast is a fine old yachting tradition. I'm surprised they don't have platforms special-built for it. You have to admit that it would be fun!

Last edited by Ragnar Danneskjold; October 2nd, 2008 at 08:03 PM.

Old October 2nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
5,000+ Club

Hi Ragnar:
I, too like jumping off of stuff. The local bridge over the pass to the Gulf was a fave when I was younger. I have never seen the brig on SeaDream I or II (amazingly) but I imagine they would frown on rail jumping. Just a guess. But, if you get away with it, let me know. I love new traditions!
All the best,
Jim.

Old October 2nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

on the SD II fall crossing last year, a passenger had a bit too much to drink one evening and rumor has it she stepped off the deck and but for landing in the the lifeboat, would have tested your theory about jumping and the brig. More rumor has it that she stepped out to smoke and somehow took a wrong turn. She was found several hours later sound asleep in the lifeboat. (And no, I don't smoke . . .)

FT

Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:43 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

As far as I know there is no diving off the railing on SD

When we are in the Caribbean on SD we dive off the swim platform into the ocean but not off the railings or deck or mast or bow (we save jumping off the bow for when we are on sailboat in the Caribbean). There is a tow line off the swim platform as well as a crew member in a dingy for safety.

I have no desire to see the brig so I will listen to crew instructions Especially the instructions from Capt. T!!

Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:19 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJen View Post
As far as I know there is no diving off the railing on SD

When we are in the Caribbean on SD we dive off the swim platform into the ocean but not off the railings or deck or mast or bow (we save jumping off the bow for when we are on sailboat in the Caribbean). There is a tow line off the swim platform as well as a crew member in a dingy for safety.

I have no desire to see the brig so I will listen to crew instructions Especially the instructions from Capt. T!!
Last time I was on board they frowned upon diving off of the water sports platform and it is only about a foot above the water, i know because I wanted to and was told no.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Oh well. I guess "It's cruising, not yachting" after all

Hmmm, I wonder if being put off the boat in the next to last port (Jost van Dyke) would be worth it. I can think of worse things

Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

I looked over the railing late one afternoon while we were anchored in the Caribbean and saw several sharks swimming right next to the yacht. That, my friends, was enough to convince me to stay in the pool's water with my mojito. Sharks swim in the ocean, Cammiem sits in the pool.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Poor sharks, when I hit the water from 20+ feet up they will think a depth charge went off

I'm an old California surfer so sharks don't bother me (except "the man in the grey suit"....).