New Shows on Marina!

gui888

From today's TA update:

Now appearing!

During Marina's January 25th and February 4th cruises, several new shows have been making their debut to packed houses of delighted guests. Created and performed by the famed Jean Ann Ryan Production Company, they are:

Backstage Pass, featuring songs from Broadway musicals currently lighting up the marquees in Times Square.

Under The Big Top, offering mystery, glamour and fun with some of the hottest Vaudeville and Burlesque performances and spectacular circus feats.

One More For The Road, with today's crooners transporting guests to the Las Vegas Strip in a sophisticated evening that pays tribute to Old Blue Eyes.

Malibu Waves, in which Venice Beach comes alive with the popular hits of the Beach Boys and an unlimited supply of Summer Party Hits.

Nice!

Thank goodness. I thought the Gary Musick shows on Marina were awful. The Jean Ann Ryan shows on Riviera were much better. While the ones listed here are not the same shows as on Riviera, they sound similar. I found the singers and dancers on Marina quite talented, but the shows and the costumes were tacky. Ellen

In my opinion, the Jean Ann Ryan productions are superior to the Gary Music productions that have been on Marina up to now, as well as on the "R" ships. I would be pleased to learn that the J.A.R. contracts have also been extended to Regatta, Nautica and Insignia, although it's somewhat more difficult to offer similar production shows on the smaller ships. The theater is smaller, the ceiling is much lower, and the stage is very much smaller, so the cast is smaller from necessity.

The J.A.R. casts also perform on Regent's ships, with several excellent reports recently on that forum.

I still prefer the cabaret-style performances of the individual singers, instrumentalists, magicians and comedians hired by Oceania (I've rarely missed a show), but the Jean Ann Ryan casts are the best production shows I've seen on any cruise line.

We'll be on Marina in May; this announcement is great news.

On our first cruise in 2005 they had two male singers who regularly performed in West End musicals. They were excellent! Nice guys too. No stage and or props needed.

On our last three cruises we have not gone to a single show.

I'm pretty sure we had the JAR singers on Marina in 2011 or 2012. They were touted as being wonderful and a great improvement and I thought it was appallingly bad. Embarrassing actually. Our local high school does a much better production as were all our daughter's dance recitals.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On our first cruise in 2005 they had two male singers who regularly performed in West End musicals. They were excellent! Nice guys too. No stage and or props needed.

On our last three cruises we have not gone to a single show.

I'm pretty sure we had the JAR singers on Marina in 2011 or 2012. They were touted as being wonderful and a great improvement and I thought it was appallingly bad. Embarrassing actually. Our local high school does a much better production as were all our daughter's dance recitals.

Mo

Pretty much sums up last nights performance.

I'm pretty sure we had the JAR singers on Marina in 2011 or 2012. They were touted as being wonderful and a great improvement and I thought it was appallingly bad.

The production shows on Marina were by Gary Musick Productions from her maiden voyage. JAR productions were introduced to Oceania on Riviera's maiden voyage; the other ships were still in contract with Musick.

If folks want to see Broadway quality, sail on something like Breakaway or Getaway and pay $30-$40 per show...

The production shows on Marina were by Gary Musick Productions from her maiden voyage. JAR productions were introduced to Oceania on Riviera's maiden voyage; the other ships were still in contract with Musick.

If folks want to see Broadway quality, sail on something like Breakaway or Getaway and pay $30-$40 per show...

The Broadway productions on those two ships are not fee-based; they are included. :cool:

The Broadway productions on those two ships are not fee-based; they are included. :cool:

Interesting that you specify "on those two ships"; is Norwegian really SELLING TICKETS to some of the Shows on their other ships? :eek:

Independence08.jpg

Reminds me of "Cafeteria Style" pay as you go cruising, which reared it's ugly head (briefly) in the early 1970's.

YUK

Interesting that you specify "on those two ships"; is Norwegian really SELLING TICKETS to some of the Shows on their other ships?

No. The two new ships have full Broadway productions of "Rock of Ages" and "Legally Blonde." They are included in the cruise fare.

The only shows that are fee-based are actually a dinner theater (a Cirque-style show on one and a magic show on the other), which is considered a specialty restaurant and carries a surcharge...like other specialty restaurants onboard.

No. The two new ships have full Broadway productions of "Rock of Ages" and "Legally Blonde." They are included in the cruise fare.

The only shows that are fee-based are actually a dinner theater (a Cirque-style show on one and a magic show on the other), which is considered a specialty restaurant and carries a surcharge...like other specialty restaurants onboard.

OK, so the Broadway Productions are included on the two new huge ships.....what about the other Norwegian Ships? Will passengers see the same shows at a fee, or lesser productions? :confused:

OK, so the Broadway Productions are included on the two new huge ships.....what about the other Norwegian Ships? Will passengers see the same shows at a fee, or lesser productions? :confused:

No, only the newer (larger) ships ..Epic, Breakaway and Getaway are set up for the feature shows... Blue Man Group on the Epic, Rock of ages on the Breakaway, and Legally Blonde on the Getaway.

The Dinner Theater is a custom venue for theater in the round... Cirque on the Epic and Breakaway, Illusionarium on the Getaway.

None of the older ships have these facilities.

The rest have the standard fare... 2 or three production shows during a cruise...and feature entertainers in between.

Norwegian used to have all production shows done by Jean Anne Ryan troupe; they canned them a few years ago on favor of in-house productions.

The Ryan productions are no better than what O had before. Amateurish and not worth staying up for IMO. Forget entertainment on o. Lost cause

I have ceased to wonder about what the entertainment will be like. I will love my cruise without entertainment. Not a priority for us

Btw. It was even worse on Azamara

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On our recent Riviera cruise the JAR shows were much better than we have seen in the past on O ships

The singers could actually sing ;)

We do not go to live theatre so maybe that is why we enjoyed a coupls of shows we much prefer the classical musicians

YYMV

The big shows may actually be a consideration for people who live in the hinterlands where the opportunity to see live theatre is virtually nonexistent. I grew up in one of those places. ;-). A trip to a city with theatre is a major expense not all can easily afford.

Mo

Personally, I don't understand all the fuss over Broadway shows on a ship. Does anyone book a cruise to see a third rate production of Legally Blonde, free or not?

Look at all the cranky complaints about JAR, or any other song and dance show on Regent/Oceania...

The cruise lines that are doing it are trying to provide a new and different enhancement to the cruise...not the reason to book it. ;)

Epic and other large ships may have Broadway shows with a touring cast, and on and on, but they also have thousands of passengers. We chose Oceania for the itineraries, the food, and the low passenger numbers--and we keep coming back. Its good to have cruising options to fit different tastes--there is no one-size fits all.