Maasdam - Day 2

Orcrone

When I booked this cruise I thought that the first full day would be spent inside. After all, it's late October and we'll be far north of Florida. Well, I'm wrong again. After a cloudy start it soon warmed up to the mid-70s, and sunny to boot.

We got up and went to the gym. Used the stair stepper and tread mill. Then went to the Lido and gorged ourselves without regret. However, as I'm writing this and the clothes are less roomy, there should have been some regret.:D

Shelley had me try their Swiss style Mueslix. It consisted of oatmeal, yogurt honey and fruit. Loved it and had it everyday for breakfast (among other things). We ran into two friends from C@ we met on board, Maw and Paw and ate breakfast with them.

After breakfast we went to the Lido pool. The top was mainly closed and it was a bit smoky, so we went to the aft pool instead. Lots of empty chairs, not at all like Carnival. Spent most of the afternoon out there or back at the Lido pool, in the hot tub and hanging out with people from the C@ roll call. Went back to the gym in the late afternoon (wow, twice in one day).

This was our first formal night. Just about all men I saw followed the dress code, with the exception of one person in a jacket but no tie. This was not meant to pass judgement, just an observation.

For dinner I had a shrimp cocktail, lobster bisque and filet. The filet was excellent, but small, so I also ordered the salmon. Regarding shrimp. This night they had jumbo shrimp. However, they often had bay shrimp in the Lido. These are shrimp too small for Red Lobster to serve. It really looked cheap and they would have been better saving them for shrimp salad.

The evening's entertainment was the cast show. It was a review of the 50s and 60s. Excellent show. I don't know where the cast gets its energy. Having a wonderful time so far.

Marc, I got a really big GRIN:D when I read you liked the Swiss Muesli, That is my favorite. It is one of those things I must have every morning on HAL. It is actually one of the things I am really looking forward to having this weekend:p

Now the BIG Question, Do I dare ask if you got on the scale yet? I know you and I have been working hard on the weight loss and you have done so very well. Just curious to how you did?

I really have enjoyed your review. I spent last night reading them all to Tom my DH, I was worn out just reading all the reviews, I suppose I could of let DH read them himself but I think he likes me to read to him before bed time:D

Thanks for posting Marc.

Now the BIG Question, Do I dare ask if you got on the scale yet? I know you and I have been working hard on the weight loss and you have done so very well. Just curious to how you did?

Thanks for posting Marc.

I am not getting near a scale. I started out real well; no deserts, going to the gym once or twice a day. Unfortunately, it was easy to go to the gym during the long sea days. Then we had four port days in a row. And eventually the willpower wore down. Towards the end of the cruise I just figured, "the damage is done, might as well enjoy myself". I can luckily take it off as quick as I put it on, so I may not step on the scale for a week.:D

DW got the recipe for the Muesli. However, it only listed the ingredients, not the amounts.

A short while ago, someone posted the recipe for Swiss Mueslix but I'm not sure if it was on the old board or here on the new one.

I'll try to do a search to find it.

It is delicious. That is something I have to use my willpower to bypass. :(

WOW what a treat... Not planing on great weather on our cruise in mid Jan till HMC... day three , but It'll be better than what we're leaving ! 18 degrees this mornin, BRRRRRR. What was the smoke from at the Lido pool ...BBQ ?
The Lido pool is completely surrounded, and often the roof is closed. Even in nice weather it is often partially closed. So there is nota lot of circulation. Add to that the Dolphin Bar nearby, and if you're sensitive to cigarette smoke (like my DW) then it can sometimes be too much.

A short while ago, someone posted the recipe for Swiss Mueslix but I'm not sure if it was on the old board or here on the new one.

I'll try to do a search to find it.

It is delicious. That is something I have to use my willpower to bypass. :(

DW got the recipe from the kitchen, but it didn't include any amounts or proportions. I'll dig it out and post it anyhow. Normally I avoid oatmeal, but I absolutely loved this stuff.

I remeber someone posting that recipe - think it was back in August. So it might still be on a post somewhere.

It was me who posted the recipe on July 24th, here it is again.

Swiss Muesli

1 ½ cups rolled oats

1 ½ cups water

2 cups shredded unpeeled apples

1 ½ cups pitted prunes (whole or halved)

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons lemon juice

½ teaspoon cinnamon fresh fruits (sliced banana, apple, pineapple, and/or orange segments)

chopped almonds or pecans

Combine oats, water, shredded apples, prunes, honey, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, spoon some of the muesli onto a cereal bowl.

Top with your choice of fresh fruits and nuts. Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt or milk, if desired. Muesli can be stored in covered container in refrigerator for several days.

I know can't wait till Saturday I can just taste it now.:p

Archived