Cbo update: Uk booking issues

Bill Leiber

Hello UK Azamara Followers:

I want to give you a progress report on what I’ve learned about the confusing differences that you’ve experienced as a resident of the UK in not being eligible for the promotional pricing and airfare programs offered in the North American market and published in onboard promotional material. Additionally, you have expressed dissatisfaction and a lack of confidence in your dealings with customer relations along with your desire to avoid them if you can.

How we operate – “Shared Services” for our “Tri-Branded” Products

We are honored to position “Azamara Club Cruises as a Proud Member of the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd Family of Cruise Lines.” All of our offices, including the US and UK, are responsible to provide services for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd’s three brands: Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises. It is this concept of “shared services” for the three brands that provides the corporation with cost advantages and marketing economies of scale but at the same time - operating challenges.

Azamara is run by a team of just 20 dedicated staff shoreside in Miami which means lower overhead that translates into competitive fares. These worldwide offices give Azamara the benefit to sell locally in many worldwide markets with the help of local and motivated sales teams who understand the idiosyncrasies of their markets and are knowledgeable about its local business customs, laws and consumer booking patterns. In fact, as a result, international sales have accelerated.

With the reformulation of the “Azamara” brand into “Azamara Club Cruises,” Larry Pimentel established dedicated operational staff in marketing, sales, worldwide destination and itinerary planning, worldwide revenue and inventory management, and a dedicated reservations staff reporting to the total US reservations operation.

Contingent with this decision to invest in more staff for the North American market was the understanding that Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd’s parentage would provide ample resources, support services and coverage for the worldwide market including the UK.

The challenge with “shared services” - implementing our marketing initiatives globally

Generally, the goal is to be consistent across markets with our merchandising strategies (ongoing published programs) and our tactical (voyage and market specific) promotions; however, there are instances in which initiatives might vary as a result of the following:

1. Operational or technological challenges.

2. Business decisions made in conjunction with the local UK team reflecting their strategic views in growing the business.

3. Tactical promotions, usually with an expiration date, introduced into specific segments of the global cruise market intended to boost sales on specific voyages.

The art form will be to balance our final decision with what works for the internal operation with what makes sense to our guests in the UK.

How can we improve the process in the UK?

Based on Azamara’s percent of contribution to the total corporation, it is not cost-justified to set-up separate operational units in the London office dedicated to service Azamara reservations, customer relations, airline programs and other services in the European and UK markets. Instead, the challenge is to make “shared services” work better for our UK guests..

Based on your comments, it seems to me that the source for your frustrations could be alleviated in two ways:

1. Improving the communication between the US and UK as well as to those on board the ships.

2. Additional staff training for the “shared services” operational units in the UK.

Next Steps

Right now the US management and their counterparts in the UK are still in the process of reviewing the special offers, programs, and merchandising issues to which you were not eligible since you were from the UK. I will follow-up and let you know the outcome and hopefully, opportunities to offer more "US only" programs to the UK.

2-for-1 pricing

50% off land discoveries

Air Programs – Heathrow only

B2B Savings

Onboard booking programs

We truly appreciate your allegiance to Azamara Club Cruises and your persistence and patience as we find a solution to make dealing with Azamara a seamless and satisfying experience.

In the meantime, enjoy the holiday season this coming weekend.

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Bill, thank you for your progress report. Please include Australia as we too have the same issues as UK.

Have been told by your Sydney office that the b2b discount does not apply here (we are booked for June next year).

I think you have a growing market from this part of the world and any little perks/discounts would make Azamara all the more attractive.

Thanks Bill

Fully understand the operational and tactical issues you highlight and thank you for being as detailed in your response as it gives a very helpful context against which to consider future developments.

Coming from an HR background, I have to support your proposal for additional training - the right training, and I am sure it will be, can make so much difference

As we just recover from our worst blizzards in 30 years here, we are so ready to enjoy the festive season, for once our snowscene image of Christmas is correct, though the disruption of the last week has been challenging

Thank you for your holiday wishes we hope you too have an enjoyable weekend in this fun filled sason

Ann

Bill

Your thorough reply is appreciated.

While not wishing to start an argument with my compatriots, I actually appreciate there NOT being separate personnel for the three separate brands in the UK. I prefer being able to deal with the same individual whether I am managing my Celebrity or Azamara reservations especially as I often deal with two or three reservations in the same telephone conversation. I have never experienced any real issues with our Personal Cruise Consultant [or others I have dealt with in his absence] not understanding the different offerings [except when making bookings on the day itineraries open when, without fail, Cruise Critics know that they are open before staff in the UK]. The UK staff I have spoken to have usually fully understood the different T&Cs in the US which, IMHO, sometimes favour the US and sometimes favour the UK/Europe.

I will admit, however, I have never paid a great deal of attention to any offers being advertised as we usually book the day an itinerary opens before the type of offer causing dissatisfaction are made.

Sue

Thank you Bill for raising these points with management. Whilst I appreciate the benefits of scale and synergy in operating with RCCL/Celebrity I am still confused as to why your marketing strategy varies so much internationally. Surely all your customers are seeking a good product at value for money. There maybe occasions when your business partners e.g. airlines offer you different preferential terms but for example the Land Discoveries programme is under your control.

I have also had an e mail from Le Club Voyage confirming that the 50% Land Discoveries programme is available to UK guests.

We are on the brink of booking for 2011 but are unable to establish and now further confused as to what the deal is! We are Discoverer Members and sailed with Azamara three times in 2010 and our loyalty is being severely tested.

Sorry to be pedantic but can you clarify whether you are using 'were' in the conditional or past tense when referring to promotions available to UK guests.

Seasons Greetings to All

Bill

Thank you for your attention to the concerns of U.K. cruisers. I have my fingers crossed that it will not be long before you are advising us that progress has been made in line with the details outlined in your “Next Steps”. Who knows. if the staff on the Journey and the Quest hadn’t set such a very high benchmark in respect of service, we might have accepted second best from the staff back in the U.K. There’s no backing down now though; they have to aspire to the standard set by the ships’ crew.

If you take the flights out then the rest rest of the package could easily be able to be the same, subject to currency fluctuarions.

ON NCL we just decide which is the best deal UK or US and book there.

UK has advantages of ATOL,ABTA and consumer protections.

US has refundable deposits up to final.

With price protections it canbe advantagous for a cruise line to make offer in one region only to protect revenus.

I have seen i nthe UK this happen where sometime a cruiseline offl oads inventry though one supplier(no one lse can get close to the one off low prices).

Having said all that we boked our cruise UK to take avantage of the free flight and £400 money off promotion, bargain.

Since I can book any airline ticket through any supplier anywhere in the world why not a cruise?

Bring cruise companies in line with the airlines

Hello UK Azamara Followers,

Following a review by both sides of the Atlantic of our published special offers and merchandising programs, I am pleased to report the following information:

Back-to-Back discount is available for all markets including the UK and Australia.

50% Land Discoveries Savings is available to all markets globally, including the UK and Australia.

The Azamara Passages Onboard Booking Program is available for guests from all markets. Azamara's onboard program was re-launched along with the brand's re-launch in April 2010. Instead of offering an OBC, the program offers guests cash savings from their cruise fare as well as reduced deposits and no additional deposits until final payment. Another important change is that the new program is combinable with almost all Azamara promotions; however, it is not combinable with more than two other OBC and dollars off offers. Other restrictions apply and open passage deposits are non-refundable.

ChoiceAir is a technology based tool which is not available in the UK. However, the UK has its own air department and does have the technology of offering guests the convenience to book their cruise and air through reservations and to be eligible for air promotions in the form of free air or reduced air. Currently the UK Free Flight promotion is available only from Heathrow since it’s the only gateway with sufficient capacity to coincide with both ships embarkation ports. Since regional direct flights connecting through Heathrow don’t work, the result creates indirect and inconvenient flights via European gateways. The UK is aware of this issue and will soon announce a solution that will offer our UK guests from other parts of the country more options for using their home city gateways.

Generally, the goal is to be consistent across markets with our merchandising strategies (ongoing published programs); however, my caveat to you is that there will always be differences among the worldwide markets because of the need for tactical promotions to be introduced into specific markets to boost sales on specific voyages.

One of the benefits of being part of the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd family is the benefit to be able to sell locally with the support of local teams in many markets around the world. Also, as part of a publically held company, we have a responsibility to our shareholders to meet and exceed our revenue goals and to leverage the resource advantages of being part of the corporation. Therefore, I do not want to imply or create the conclusion that all promotions will apply worldwide or to disappoint you when new tactical promotions are introduced. We realize the challenge that the internet creates by bringing complete transparency so that each market is aware of all the worldwide offers and we will include detailed disclaimers to minimize its impact. It’s a delicate balance - but our primary mission is to exceed our guests’ expectations profitably.

I will inform you about the UK air program modifications and I hope that this information was helpful in better understanding how to we go to market globally and that it will reinforce your confidence in and loyalty to Azamara Club Cruises.

Our best wishes for the holiday season the year ahead.

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill

Thank you very much for such a clear explanation and for listening to our concerns. What is now on offer, small changes in many case, make a great difference to the product. Recognising you will have tactical marketing and maybe even some campaigns in the UK it is nice to see us onto a more level playing field. Best wishes for the festive season from a snowy UK

A

The Azamara Passages Onboard Booking Program is available for guests from all markets. Azamara's onboard program was re-launched along with the brand's re-launch in April 2010. Instead of offering an OBC, the program offers guests cash savings from their cruise fare as well as reduced deposits and no additional deposits until final payment. Another important change is that the new program is combinable with almost all Azamara promotions; however, it is not combinable with more than two other OBC and dollars off offers. Other restrictions apply and open passage deposits are non-refundable.

Bill, would the Onboard Booking Program be combinable with the Shareholders OBC?

Thank you and Merry Xmas

Following a review by both sides of the Atlantic of our published special offers and merchandising programs, I am pleased to report the following information:

Back-to-Back discount is available for all markets including the UK and Australia.

50% Land Discoveries Savings is available to all markets globally, including the UK and Australia.

ChoiceAir is a technology based tool which is not available in the UK. However, the UK has its own air department and does have the technology of offering guests the convenience to book their cruise and air through reservations and to be eligible for air promotions in the form of free air or reduced air. Currently the UK Free Flight promotion is available only from Heathrow since it’s the only gateway with sufficient capacity to coincide with both ships embarkation ports. Since regional direct flights connecting through Heathrow don’t work, the result creates indirect and inconvenient flights via European gateways. The UK is aware of this issue and will soon announce a solution that will offer our UK guests from other parts of the country more options for using their home city gateways.

Generally, the goal is to be consistent across markets with our merchandising strategies (ongoing published programs); however, my caveat to you is that there will always be differences among the worldwide markets because of the need for tactical promotions to be introduced into specific markets to boost sales on specific voyages.

One of the benefits of being part of the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd family is the benefit to be able to sell locally with the support of local teams in many markets around the world. Also, as part of a publically held company, we have a responsibility to our shareholders to meet and exceed our revenue goals and to leverage the resource advantages of being part of the corporation. Therefore, I do not want to imply or create the conclusion that all promotions will apply worldwide or to disappoint you when new tactical promotions are introduced. We realize the challenge that the internet creates by bringing complete transparency so that each market is aware of all the worldwide offers and we will include detailed disclaimers to minimize its impact. It’s a delicate balance - but our primary mission is to exceed our guests’ expectations profitably.

I will inform you about the UK air program modifications and I hope that this information was helpful in better understanding how to we go to market globally and that it will reinforce your confidence in and loyalty to Azamara Club Cruises.

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

For the sake of good order, I want you all to be advised of a very important fact about the 50% LAND DISCOVERIES SAVINGS PROGRAM. It is only available to those who PRE-BOOK their shore excursions with reservations or online. If you wait to book your shore excursions when you are on the vessel with the shore excursion staff, the tariff will NOT be 50% off and no exceptions can be made.

I just realized that I should have been more precise to prevent any type of misunderstanding at the start of your voyage - attention to detail!

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill - thank you for confirming this information.

I did a search on the website for 'Land Discoveries' and nothing came back.......

Please can you confirm that 'Land Discovery' is just another word for Shore excursions or is it something different?!

If so, then....

Please can you advise how the 50% savings actually works.

Is it for all shore excursions or only for specific ones on certain sailings?.

Usually you pay when you book on line but have the websites globally been updated to just take 50% of the sum for the duration of this promotion?

I have just checked online for my upcoming cruise and all prices seem to be unchanged.

I'm not usually one for shore excursions but if it's going cheap..!

Thank you.

Happy Christmas to you too.

Bill, would the Onboard Booking Program be combinable with the Shareholders OBC?

Thank you and Merry Xmas

Dear Christine Frances,

The answer is yes, but you can only combine up to 3 OBC or Savings offers on a particular booking.

Happy Holidays!

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Have I missed something?

I have been out of action for a while and wondered if Bill had resolved the problem re booking seats on flights from the UK?

If he has, please can someone point me in the right direction.

As for Shore Excursions, we booked a couple through the Azamara site but did not get them at half price, should we have done?

Have I missed something?

I have been out of action for a while and wondered if Bill had resolved the problem re booking seats on flights from the UK?

As for Shore Excursions, we booked a couple through the Azamara site but did not get them at half price, should we have done?

Hi Arlene - you can always book seats on flights from the UK providing they are not booked with the airline as a group booking. If they are booked as a group then there is nothing at all you can do, and you get your seat allocated at the airport.

Waiting for Bill to confirm if 'Land Discoveries' are another posh word for Shore Excursions or if they are something different - like the land packages you can do pre or post cruise.

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello Bill,

Could you please clarify the following points:-

1. On a recent Azamara Cruise in November we wanted to make a future booking but could not decide on an exact cruise and were informed that the "Open Passage Booking" was not available to UK Guests. We therefore had to forego the on board booking incentives.

2. We are interested in making a booking for early 2011 Caribbean and note that the website contains a lot of offers for booking by 31st December, such as "Veranda for the price of Ocean View", "Free Air from Selected Gateways", "Free Bar" but no UK Gateways are listed. These offers are for 11th and 23rd March 2011 cruises to the Caribbean but do not appear to be available to UK Guests. In fact, despite a whole list of offers for Europe, Asia and the Caribbean shown on the website, the only ones available to UK Guests are for Europe? Why are we excluded from the Caribbean and Asia offers?

Hello Bill,

Could you please clarify the following points:-

1. On a recent Azamara Cruise in November we wanted to make a future booking but could not decide on an exact cruise and were informed that the "Open Passage Booking" was not available to UK Guests. We therefore had to forego the on board booking incentives.

2. We are interested in making a booking for early 2011 Caribbean and note that the website contains a lot of offers for booking by 31st December, such as "Veranda for the price of Ocean View", "Free Air from Selected Gateways", "Free Bar" but no UK Gateways are listed. These offers are for 11th and 23rd March 2011 cruises to the Caribbean but do not appear to be available to UK Guests. In fact, despite a whole list of offers for Europe, Asia and the Caribbean shown on the website, the only ones available to UK Guests are for Europe? Why are we excluded from the Caribbean and Asia offers?

grayjoh, I just wanted to tell you that numerous passengers we met on our February Voyage were not 100% sure of which itinerary to book, so booked something and than transferred to one that was more to their liking once they returned home. I know there is an issue in the UK with deposits being non-refundable, but can't a booking with Azamara be transferred to another itinerary in the UK without forfeiting ones deposit?

Regarding the Caribbean Free Air promotion, if it's not offerd in the UK the reason is kind of obvious. Most flights within the US to Miami are in the $200.00-$400.00 per person price range, perhaps $500.00.

Have I missed something?

I still feel that this 'booking seats' issue is still not resolved. As stated previously I have now sailed 4 times with AZ and on the 3 previous sailings when with Celebrity there was no problem changing the allocated seats (at no extra cost under BA 24 hour system). If I am paying good money for a cruise I dont want to be treated like cattle with no choice of seats. The last flight from Heathrow had couples in seperate seats!

Carol

grayjoh, I just wanted to tell you that numerous passengers we met on our February Voyage were not 100% sure of which itinerary to book, so booked something and than transferred to one that was more to their liking once they returned home. I know there is an issue in the UK with deposits being non-refundable, but can't a booking with Azamara be transferred to another itinerary in the UK without forfeiting ones deposit?

Regarding the Caribbean Free Air promotion, if it's not offerd in the UK the reason is kind of obvious. Most flights within the US to Miami are in the $200.00-$400.00 per person price range, perhaps $500.00.

Hi Jade, it is not possible to transfer a booking to another booking in the Uk without forfeiting half of the original deposit per person, which is classed as an amendment fee!

I know what you say about air fare but a round trip flight from the Uk to Miami can be found for about $600 to $700 and I am sure RCCL get it much less. My point is that UK Guests should be given at least an air credit equivalent to say a flight from LA to Miami.

There is a new onboard offer for when you book an ACC cruise whilst on a cruise and this is a ££ discount off the cost. This IS offered to UK (and other) guests. It is called 'Reserved Package'. Discounts range between £150 and £400 per stateroom depending on cruise length. They have stopped the OBC for booking on board.

The Open Package and the Friends and Family Cerificate is not applicable to UK guests.

If they don't know what cruise they want why don't they just hold an option on board, and then swap to the cruise they want when they get home and book it then.

There is £75pp amendment fee to change ship/date in the UK.

However Elite members get one change for free. Not many people know that.;)

There is a new onboard offer for when you book an ACC cruise whilst on a cruise and this is a ££ discount off the cost. This IS offered to UK (and other) guests. It is called 'Reserved Package'. Discounts range between £150 and £400 per stateroom depending on cruise length. They have stopped the OBC for booking on board.

The Open Package and the Friends and Family Cerificate is not applicable to UK guests.

If they don't know what cruise they want why don't they just hold an option on board, and then swap to the cruise they want when they get home and book it then.

I still say Azamara is making this way too complicated.

I called and in the US there is now a $25.00 (I guess per person) cancellation fee, but there is no fee to transfer to another cruise itinerary.

Apparently Azamara has made a commitment to not discount their cruises. If they do so than they have to extend the book on board discount or alienate those who booked onboard. I think it was more simple to stick with the book on board OBC to keep it separate from any pricing structure.

I thought they needed to adjust the amount of the credit if it was not working. Holland America line gives a small OBC depending on both length and stateroom and still has the $100.00 per person deposit. The low deposit was the biggest incentive and Azamara has done away with that.

Thanks Albert for your comments. The new onboard booking discounts were made clear to us on our November cruise and we do prefer them to onboard credit as they are combinable with our stockholder credit. However, we were not able to simply take an option on a cruise and confirm it when we got home. The booking had to be a firm booking for a specific cruise with a non refundable deposit paid on board. Are you sure the Elite perk of one change for free applies to Azamara and not just to Celebrity as certainly the UK office are not aware of it.

Bill

A few days ago I posted a question as to what this program is, which was immediately followed by a more "in depth" question on the same subject by "little britain". Like "little britain" I have searched the Azamara website and can find no references to this program or in the brochure. I suppose quite simply I want to know how I get a 50% reduction on shore excursions. A prompt and detailed response to both my and "little britain's" posts would oblige, as I am about to make my shore excursions reservation.

Archived